The Student Room Group

Taking 5 A-Levels

Hi everyone! I'm in year 11 and am considering taking 5 a-levels, as the title makes evident, namely Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Geography and Economics. I would take Economics at AS at the end of year 12. I know that it doesn't give you an advantage when applying for uni, but the I find Economics quite interesting even though it's not relevant to what I want to apply for (medicine) and don't really want to drop what I've picked already. Essentially, I'm asking if its manageable amongst the volunteering, sports, EPQ and fingers-crossed leadership I want to do next year.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah you probably think it can't be that bad since at GCSE you do like 8 distinct subjects, but seriously, there's a very good reason people only do 3 A-levels most of the time.

If you're interested in economics, read some books and maybe take an online course if you have the spare time. Don't take an AS.
Original post by n_s005
Hi everyone! I'm in year 11 and am considering taking 5 a-levels, as the title makes evident, namely Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Geography and Economics. I would take Economics at AS at the end of year 12. I know that it doesn't give you an advantage when applying for uni, but the I find Economics quite interesting even though it's not relevant to what I want to apply for (medicine) and don't really want to drop what I've picked already. Essentially, I'm asking if its manageable amongst the volunteering, sports, EPQ and fingers-crossed leadership I want to do next year.

You only need 3 a levels, just do well in them because universities would rather prefer 3 AAA than AAAB. If you want, go for a 4th a level if you think you can handle it but I think 5 is too much
5 a levels in addition to the EPQ, volunteering etc. is A L O T

I only do 3 A levels (no extracurricular activities) and I've already got enough on my hands to deal with.
You only do a few A levels but there is a lot of content, especially compared to GCSE so I don't advise you to take 5 subjects. You won't have any time to do anything by taking that many.
no, do 4 at the most and even then, 4's not encouraged unless you're doing further maths. as sinnoh said, you can always read books about economics. or you could even do your epq about it?? a levels are a lot of work and i found it hard work balancing 3.
Original post by n_s005

sis dont do that,thats a veeeryyy bad idea im doing 4 rn and im struggling and im dropping 1 next year.Most people do 3 you dont 5
Noooo just do 4 and excel in those.
Im literally begging you not to do 5 A levels. A lot of colleges/sixth forms do not allow students to do 4 A levels and an EPQ (unless they can prove they are capable) because of the workload. Let alone 5. My friend does 4 A unrelated A levels and no extracurricular and this has drastically impacted her grade. Normally people who choose 4 A levels choose A levels that are related. I believe the most common 4 A level combo is maths, physics, computer science and further maths but even that is hardd.

Your combo will not benefit you in any way and i think you will not have the time for your volunteering, sports or leadership. 3 is hard enough, especially chemistry, biology and maths. You can always have interests in economics and geography as already stated and you might even be able to squeeze those interests into your personal statement.
Reply 8
Thank you all very much for your advice, I’ll take it into careful consideration. Another thing I was wondering, is there really no overlap between the subjects?
Reply 9
Unrelated, but how did you prepare for your entrance exams? And how soon? Everywhere I look I see conflicting views and it’s a bit confusing!
Original post by n_s005
Thank you all very much for your advice, I’ll take it into careful consideration. Another thing I was wondering, is there really no overlap between the subjects?

I am not sure how much overlap there is between chem, bio and maths (i dont do them) although obviously they go together and your knowledge of in one subject is going to help another. However, geog and economics has no overlap with any of your subjects.
No true benefit. Lots of negatives though. Better that you get A*A*A* at three subjects than AABBC. All you’re doing is reducing your chances of getting three solid grades, and for what? You won’t increase your chances of admission by doing 5.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by something_orphic
I am not sure how much overlap there is between chem, bio and maths (i dont do them) although obviously they go together and your knowledge of in one subject is going to help another. However, geog and economics has no overlap with any of your subjects.

I meant between geography and economics, sorry for not making that clear! But thank you for your input :smile:
Original post by n_s005
I meant between geography and economics, sorry for not making that clear! But thank you for your input :smile:

Basically none.
If you're unsure on your choices, start with 4 and then drop down to 3 if you can't cope or don't like one. I don't particularly like the idea of starting with 3 since you might be left with limited options if one goes wrong.

Narrowing down can be tough if you have broad interests, but not many people can excel in 5.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
It really does! Thanks : )
Reply 16
Original post by n_s005

5 A levels is way too much for your typical a level student, but if you're considering it in the first place then I suspect you're probably academically gifted. I know people who have done 5 a levels and they were all insanely clever, getting straight A*/9 grades in 13+ subjects at GCSE. Really the only time people should consider 4+ full a levels is if they need to keep their options open or think that 3 a levels won't be challenging enough. Your offer is based on 3 grades so A*A*A* should be the primary aim before thinking about going above and beyond.

I applied to medicine doing 4 a levels (chemistry, biology, maths as well as further maths to keep options open) and I've found it manageable, but this is definitely the most I could have done without it being counterproductive. I've still been able to do sports, volunteering, hold a leadership role and have free time to relax, but if I added anything else to this something would have given way. The medicine application process becomes very time consuming once you are preparing for entrance exams and interviews and your a levels will probably suffer at least a bit during these extremely busy times, and if you're doing 5 + an EPQ catching up will be a nightmare. Remember, during your a-levels you still want to have extra time to take care of your mental wellbeing, spend time with your friends and family and just be able to completely chill out once in a while.

To answer your question directly: unless you're incredibly academically gifted - and I don't say this lightly - don't take 5 A levels and an EPQ. If you really think you can manage it? Go for it, but be prepared to drop at least one of geography or economics (or even your EPQ) during year 12 if it looks like it could become too much. You also have to think ahead, because once you send off your application at the beginning of year 13 you are essentially tied to the subjects that you are doing, and everything becomes so much more taxing in year 13. Even if you can just about manage it, remember that the subjects won't make your medicine application any better!
Reply 17
it really does, thanks
I would drop Geography and Economics. Medicine applications themselves are so long. UCAT you'll want at least 2 months to prepare if you're using Medify. Best to do that during the summer holidays before year 13. Some Universities may make you sit an additional SJT type test, you'll be doing a lot of interview prep too. A-level grades are just to get into Uni, not every Uni will use those to rank you. UCAT will be the most important part in getting an interview, and then obviously you want to smash the interviews. 5, or even 4, A-levels may have a significant impact on your preparation time for those.
Reply 19
Original post by TSRTD
5 A levels is way too much for your typical a level student, but if you're considering it in the first place then I suspect you're probably academically gifted. I know people who have done 5 a levels and they were all insanely clever, getting straight A*/9 grades in 13+ subjects at GCSE. Really the only time people should consider 4+ full a levels is if they need to keep their options open or think that 3 a levels won't be challenging enough. Your offer is based on 3 grades so A*A*A* should be the primary aim before thinking about going above and beyond.

I applied to medicine doing 4 a levels (chemistry, biology, maths as well as further maths to keep options open) and I've found it manageable, but this is definitely the most I could have done without it being counterproductive. I've still been able to do sports, volunteering, hold a leadership role and have free time to relax, but if I added anything else to this something would have given way. The medicine application process becomes very time consuming once you are preparing for entrance exams and interviews and your a levels will probably suffer at least a bit during these extremely busy times, and if you're doing 5 + an EPQ catching up will be a nightmare. Remember, during your a-levels you still want to have extra time to take care of your mental wellbeing, spend time with your friends and family and just be able to completely chill out once in a while.

To answer your question directly: unless you're incredibly academically gifted - and I don't say this lightly - don't take 5 A levels and an EPQ. If you really think you can manage it? Go for it, but be prepared to drop at least one of geography or economics (or even your EPQ) during year 12 if it looks like it could become too much. You also have to think ahead, because once you send off your application at the beginning of year 13 you are essentially tied to the subjects that you are doing, and everything becomes so much more taxing in year 13. Even if you can just about manage it, remember that the subjects won't make your medicine application any better!

What would you consider as academically gifted?

Quick Reply

Latest