BTS_biased
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I have graduated in 2020 and I was studying economics.

I am South Asian and my parents started annoying me with the whole marriage discussion since I have graduated. I am super annoyed because I am just 21 and I dont want to get married. However, in our country people get married very early (especially girls sadly) and a lot of proposals already came and people keep asking my parents whether or not they want someone for me and when I was studying my parents always rejected the proposals but now they are showing interest and asking me and it gets me very angry.

I have been looking for jobs but I had no success and I have also been missing student life as a whole and because of this situation at home,I feel even worse. This is why I am considering to do a part time masters which lasts more than 1 year just to regain my student life back and also to stop marriage talks and stop my parents bothering me for a while. Would these two be good reasons for me to do masters? ( 1. student life and 2. stop marriage talks).
-The thing is if I will do masters I will only do them for those two reasons and not because I want to gain more knowledge or because I have a specific career in mind because I actually dont.
Magpie:)
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Is it worth talking to them and express your opinion? They are not the one deciding when you should get married, that's for you to decide. I understand it's a cultural thing and they only want the best for you. I honestly don't think it's a good idea doing something you don't like, but at least if you are going to invest time and money, pick something that feels close to heart for you

I wish you all the best
EconomicsStud3nt
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Make it clear you aren’t interested in it yet? Masters is not a bad shout for stalling the process though.
Apples.99
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by BTS_biased)

I am South Asian and my parents started annoying me with the whole marriage discussion since I have graduated. I am super annoyed because I am just 21 and I dont want to get married. However, in our country people get married very early (especially girls sadly) and a lot of proposals already came and people keep asking my parents whether or not they want someone for me and when I was studying my parents always rejected the proposals but now they are showing interest and asking me and it gets me very angry.

I have been looking for jobs but I had no success and I have also been missing student life as a whole and because of this situation at home,I feel even worse. This is why I am considering to do a part time masters which lasts more than 1 year just to regain my student life back and also to stop marriage talks and stop my parents bothering me for a while. Would these two be good reasons for me to do masters? ( 1. student life and 2. stop marriage talks).
-The thing is if I will do masters I will only do them for those two reasons and not because I want to gain more knowledge or because I have a specific career in mind because I actually dont.
I’m sorry that you are experiencing this type of stress from your family. It is a similar case in my extended family so I understand how annoying it can be.

I definitely think a conversation is needed between you and your family. Although a Masters isn’t a bad idea, the issue will never be addressed if you use other things to ‘buy yourself time’. That being said, a conversation doesn’t necessarily mean they will listen but I would hope that they recognise how this is affecting your wellbeing.

In my honest opinion, there are many things much worse than doing a Masters to distance yourself between you and your family. So I think it’s a great opportunity if you are in a position to do it, as long as it’s in a subject you enjoy so that the Masters doesn’t bring additional stress. The masters will help with future job prospects. Perhaps you can take it part time if you are interested in getting a job.

Just a thought - have you considered something lesser than a masters? Such as a postgraduate certificate or diploma? Sometimes these can be used towards a masters degree in the future. Worth looking into if you aren’t sure that you are committed to doing a Masters.

Hope this helps!
Apples.99
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

I’m sorry that you are experiencing this type of stress from your family. It is a similar case in my extended family so I understand how annoying it can be.

I definitely think a conversation is needed between you and your family. Although a Masters isn’t a bad idea, the issue will never be addressed if you use other things to ‘buy yourself time’. That being said, a conversation doesn’t necessarily mean they will listen but I would hope that they recognise how this is affecting your wellbeing.

In my honest opinion, there are many things much worse than doing a Masters to distance yourself between you and your family. So I think it’s a great opportunity if you are in a position to do it, as long as it’s in a subject you enjoy so that the Masters doesn’t bring additional stress. The masters will help with future job prospects. Perhaps you can take it part time if you are interested in getting a job.

Just a thought - have you considered something lesser than a masters? Such as a postgraduate certificate or diploma? Sometimes these can be used towards a masters degree in the future. Worth looking into if you aren’t sure that you are committed to doing a Masters.

Hope this helps!
Monkeys Uncle
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

If I could talk freely to give you solid advice on what to do. This forum would ban me.
BTS_biased
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Magpie:))
Is it worth talking to them and express your opinion? They are not the one deciding when you should get married, that's for you to decide. I understand it's a cultural thing and they only want the best for you. I honestly don't think it's a good idea doing something you don't like, but at least if you are going to invest time and money, pick something that feels close to heart for you

I wish you all the best
Thank you for the advice

(Original post by EconomicsStud3nt)
Make it clear you aren’t interested in it yet? Masters is not a bad shout for stalling the process though.
The only problem is I dont know what course to choose because I have no idea what career path I want to take :/

(Original post by Apples.99)

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the advice You are totally right and I have tried to tell them about me not wanting to get married right now but they keep thinking there is something wrong with me just because I dont want to get married which made me feel like it's my fault for feeling like this

Also the other problem is I wouldn't know what course to do as I am not sure what career path to take which is why I was just considering to find a job but I am just scared that they will bother me even more if I end up getting a job and since they werent bothering me when I was still at uni it feels like being a student seems to be the only way out But again, doing masters is expensive and require a lot of time and effort and I dont know if I should just do them to stop this pressure. It just feels like there is no way out to this situation :/

I havent heard about postgraduate certificates or diploma, I will look into them. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads