British traffic police cars & speeding

Watch
Sandzy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I passed a police traffic car in a 60 and i was doing 70 yeah iknow its wrong got a new car and wanted to see power etc but a traffic car passed me on the other side of the road but was in a line of traffic moving at speed. Am i going to get caught? The police car would of only seen me pass but I didn’t see them till last second. I don’t speed 24/7 i was just seeing what my new car could do and the straight road was empty on my side. Not a excuse at all iknow I shouldn’t of been speeding but any help would be appreciated

Thankyou
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Highly improbable, someone doing 70 in a 60 in the opposite direction whilst moving is hard to ascertain. Also it could have just been a PCSO.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sandzy)
I passed a police traffic car in a 60 and i was doing 70 yeah iknow its wrong got a new car and wanted to see power etc but a traffic car passed me on the other side of the road but was in a line of traffic moving at speed. Am i going to get caught? The police car would of only seen me pass but I didn’t see them till last second. I don’t speed 24/7 i was just seeing what my new car could do and the straight road was empty on my side. Not a excuse at all iknow I shouldn’t of been speeding but any help would be appreciated

Thankyou
Yes, you're going to get Police arriving at your house in the dead of night to break down the door and arrest you, never to be seen again.
Sandzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
Yes, you're going to get Police arriving at your house in the dead of night to break down the door and arrest you, never to be seen again.
Can i have a serious answer please ahah
Sandzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by RedGiant)
Highly improbable, someone doing 70 in a 60 in the opposite direction whilst moving is hard to ascertain. Also it could have just been a PCSO.
It was a traffic police car that passed me with the insurance,tax etc cameras on
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It was a traffic police car that passed me with the insurance,tax etc cameras on
I don't know of any Home Office type approved camera that can capture speed whilst moving. ANPR cameras are the ones mounted to the car.
Sandzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by RedGiant)
I don't know of any Home Office type approved camera that can capture speed whilst moving. ANPR cameras are the ones mounted to the car.
Ive been told they need to follow you to get your speed for a good amount of distance but not a clue when it comes to police
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s unlikely that you have been caught.
But learn a lesson
You may not like it but speed limits apply for a reason.
You may think you’re a very good driver but I guess you haven’t been driving for very long. Lacking experience.
There’s a reason insurance premiums are so high for your age group.
Don’t speed
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can i have a serious answer please ahah
No.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hmmm... Insurance and tax cameras sounds more like a DVLA camera car to me. Was the car actually kitted out with lights, ecilop and a blue/yellow Battenberg?

As for the question? No. Police will only pursue a case of speeding if they have evidence that'll stand up in court. The only way a copper in a police car is getting you is either via a speed gun, video evidence that shows, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you were speeding (would require excessive speeding) or via an average speed reading taken in a traffic car with a calibrated speedo.

So in other words, the likelihood that someone would be caught speeding in such a situation depends on the type of officer it was. If it was a panda patrol, there's basically sod all likelihood of getting caught unless you're going way over the limit. If it was a traffic officer (you can generally tell the two apart easily, traffic use higher performance cars like your 3 series and X5, while pandas will use more average cars like a Ford estate or an Astra), you run the risk of getting clocked further down the road if you raise their suspicions. But otherwise sod all if they're going the other way

Also, 10MPH difference is pretty hard to spot with the eye, even harder without some sort of visual reference. Even more-so when that 10MPH difference you claim, is probably only 6 or 7 over since speedos generally over-read.

Also avoid slamming the anchors on. Not only is it a dead giveaway that you were speeding, I mean, why else would you slam on the anchors for seemingly no reason when a copper comes round the bend? But it also prevents giving the person following a nasty surprise seeing as a lot of people seem to just use the car in front to judge their own speed. Obviously, don't use that advice to get away with it in built-up areas... Keep that stuff to areas where pedestrians aren't if you are going to do it.
Last edited by TheMcSame; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (194)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (560)
14.56%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (430)
11.18%
Lack of purpose or motivation (530)
13.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (190)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (232)
6.03%
Loneliness (323)
8.4%
Financial worries (141)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (151)
3.93%
Exposure to negative news/social media (172)
4.47%
Lack of real life entertainment (218)
5.67%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (343)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (361)
9.39%

Watched Threads