_lolz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi could someone please send a list of all the essay based subjects for a levels? I'm not sure which ones count and which don't (for university requirements btw).
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
commonly agreed list from bristol http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...ions-with-stu/
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by _lolz)
Hi could someone please send a list of all the essay based subjects for a levels? I'm not sure which ones count and which don't (for university requirements btw).
English language
English literature
History
Sociology
Law
Geography

Languages (such as french, Spanish etc) could also be considered essay based.
Ronaldinhoe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Economics, Business,
_lolz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by HoldThisL)
commonly agreed list from bristol http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...ions-with-stu/
tysmm omg (:
_lolz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
English language
English literature
History
Sociology
Law
Geography

Languages (such as french, Spanish etc) could also be considered essay based.
thank you (:
_lolz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ronaldinhoe)
Economics, Business,
so economics is definitely an essay based subject? bc i was looking for the requirements for law in uni and it said an essay based subject. im not sure if im definitely going to do law though but i dont want to do english or history because they dont complement the other subjects im thinking of taking for other possible career paths.
Ronaldinhoe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by _lolz)
so economics is definitely an essay based subject? bc i was looking for the requirements for law in uni and it said an essay based subject. im not sure if im definitely going to do law though but i dont want to do english or history because they dont complement the other subjects im thinking of taking for other possible career paths.
Yh it's mostly essay based, you've got 5, 10, 12 and 25 markers and occasional multiple choice questions.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by _lolz)
Hi there,

Each university will have a different list of specific essay based subjects, so best to contact the individual university you are looking at for the actual requirements. However commonly the subjects below are known as essay based:

English (language and literature)
History
Law
Philosophy
Religious studies
Politics
Psychology
sociology
Geography

I hope this helps,
Ethan - UOP Rep
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
LSE publishes a list of A-levels it considers essay based (as well as its preferred and non-preferred subjects) which you can find on its admissions pages, which may be indicative. There is probably no exhaustive list though because there are so many A-level courses, including some very niche ones that might only have a couple hundred entries each year (particularly IAL exclusive subjects). It's probably easiest to define it negatively, excluding applied/vocational A-levels, STEM A-levels (not including social sciences, such as psychology), visual and performing arts A-levels, and maybe language A-levels. Everything that's left is going to most likely be an essay based A-level.

However if it's because a specific course you are looking at requires an "essay based A-level", you are best off looking at the specific guidance that uni offering that course which has published that particular entry requirement considers essay based A-levels. For example, if it is e.g. economic history at LSE, you should look to see what LSE considers an essay based A-level, rather than any other definition.
Nightwish1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by _lolz)
Hi, I recently graduated from a Law degree at a top 10 university. While I can't comment on the entry requirements for all Universities, Economics was not considered an essay subject for this university, nor for that in which I read my Masters, in part because of the subject matter even though you may have longer answer questions. Subjects such as English, History and Philosophy require a similar thinking to that required for law, which is why they are considered important.
However, taking economics will not preclude you from successfully obtaining a place for Law at a good university - especially if, for example, you are considering commerical law etc.

I have also seen comments recommending Religious Studies, Sociology and Geography - also subjects that don't offer any particular benefits for law, but will neither disadvantage you.

I would not choose law as an A-Level subject if you're keen on pursuing a legal career, as it teaches you the basics in a very overview manner stunting your method of thinking. However, this is entirely my personal opinion from having studied with both those that did and did not choose this elective during my degree.
Nightwish1234
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
LSE publishes a list of A-levels it considers essay based (as well as its preferred and non-preferred subjects) which you can find on its admissions pages, which may be indicative. There is probably no exhaustive list though because there are so many A-level courses, including some very niche ones that might only have a couple hundred entries each year (particularly IAL exclusive subjects). It's probably easiest to define it negatively, excluding applied/vocational A-levels, STEM A-levels (not including social sciences, such as psychology), visual and performing arts A-levels, and maybe language A-levels. Everything that's left is going to most likely be an essay based A-level.

However if it's because a specific course you are looking at requires an "essay based A-level", you are best off looking at the specific guidance that uni offering that course which has published that particular entry requirement considers essay based A-levels. For example, if it is e.g. economic history at LSE, you should look to see what LSE considers an essay based A-level, rather than any other definition.
The perfect advice actually - look at what that specific University is asking for. Don't rely on individual opinions.
k419
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
stuck between picking a level geography or history for my essay based subject. my other a levels are economics and politics (and maybe an epq). would picking geography over history for my essay based subject put me at a disadvantage if i wanted to go study ppe or international management(at a top uni) ? as i know for ppe at oxford and others they recommend history
Last edited by k419; 2 months ago
fairybbyy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
philosophy and ethics is a heavy essay based subject
k419
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by amallbbyy)
philosophy and ethics is a heavy essay based subject
don't think i will find it interesting though hence why im not considering it
fairybbyy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by k419)
don't think i will find it interesting though hence why im not considering it
ohh, just scrolled up to ur comments now
In regards to history vs geo, just pick whichever one you're better at. doesnt really matter too much, it mainly depends on the grades themselves
k419
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by amallbbyy)
ohh, just scrolled up to ur comments now
In regards to history vs geo, just pick whichever one you're better at. doesnt really matter too much, it mainly depends on the grades themselves
problem is i am just slightly better at geography but i am not keen on the physical geography side and im not keen on some of the content for history so for me it has come down to the matter of which would put me at a disadvantage for my degree options
k419
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Nightwish1234)
Hi, I recently graduated from a Law degree at a top 10 university. While I can't comment on the entry requirements for all Universities, Economics was not considered an essay subject for this university, nor for that in which I read my Masters, in part because of the subject matter even though you may have longer answer questions. Subjects such as English, History and Philosophy require a similar thinking to that required for law, which is why they are considered important.
However, taking economics will not preclude you from successfully obtaining a place for Law at a good university - especially if, for example, you are considering commerical law etc.

I have also seen comments recommending Religious Studies, Sociology and Geography - also subjects that don't offer any particular benefits for law, but will neither disadvantage you.

I would not choose law as an A-Level subject if you're keen on pursuing a legal career, as it teaches you the basics in a very overview manner stunting your method of thinking. However, this is entirely my personal opinion from having studied with both those that did and did not choose this elective during my degree.
was wondering if you knew anything about ppe. the degree options im considering are bsc international management if not ppe (at top unis) the levels i have chosen are economics politcs (maybe an epq) and either geography or history. ive seen a lot of top unis such as oxford recommend history for ppe but don't think it will make a difference on international management so would choosing geography over history put me at a disadvantage?
Peony123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by _lolz)
• Law
• English Literature
• Government and Politics
• History
• Theology
• Creative Writing
• English Language
• Economics
• Sociology
• Philosophy

(I took History, Creative Writing, Theology and Philosophy for AS level, and have full A-levels in English Lit, Politics, Law. I’m about to graduate Law LLB from a red brick Russel group uni with offers to study the BTC + LLM combined for postgraduate)
Last edited by Peony123; 2 months ago
Nightwish1234
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by k419)
was wondering if you knew anything about ppe. the degree options im considering are bsc international management if not ppe (at top unis) the levels i have chosen are economics politcs (maybe an epq) and either geography or history. ive seen a lot of top unis such as oxford recommend history for ppe but don't think it will make a difference on international management so would choosing geography over history put me at a disadvantage?
I would strongly recommend looking at the specific requirements of the universities you are considering - I don't think any of us are in a position to concretely tell you which is the best option. Personally, between the two I would choose that which you feel you will achieve the best grades in, however to answer your question, yes, history is in general considered a stronger essay based subject. Will it disadvantage you? I doubt, but only the university can tell you that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (20)
30.77%
No (45)
69.23%

Watched Threads