The Student Room Group

Have you developed new spiritual routines due to COVID?

I can truly admit that I got closer to God because of COVID. I had the entire April 2020 offline, which is my first time having a whole month without access to the Internet. But for the other things, I often read the Bible on bus or train rides. I was almost trapped in a 23 bus just to memorize one bible verse, as the bus returned to the terminal.
In terms of church services, I tried to take part in some Saturday ones in addition to Sundays. But the biggest transformation is "God first, studies second". We used to leave church at 10 after the 9am cell groups have ended if it is an exam week and in the two weeks leading to public exams. However, when church is run virtually, we still joined the service and started revision at 2pm instead. This will be brought to in-person services as well.
I also set the alarm ringtone on my phone to Glory Glory Man Utd in order to increase my time in front of God. As I support Liverpool, this is one of the songs I HATE, and I always sprinted down the bed when the alarm sounded. You can try it too by setting your alarm ringtone to a song you hate a lot. I will also bring some of my new routines which helped me with studies to relationships with God, such as the Lennon Wall.
(edited 3 years ago)
are you sure god exists
Original post by 8013
I can truly admit that I got closer to God because of COVID. I had the entire April 2020 offline, which is my first time having a whole month without access to the Internet. But for the other things, I often read the Bible on bus or train rides. I was almost trapped in a 23 bus just to memorize one bible verse, as the bus returned to the terminal.
In terms of church services, I tried to take part in some Saturday ones in addition to Sundays. But the biggest transformation is "God first, studies second". We used to leave church at 10 after the 9am cell groups have ended if it is an exam week and in the two weeks leading to public exams. However, when church is run virtually, we still joined the service and started revision at 2pm instead. This will be brought to in-person services as well.
I also set the alarm ringtone on my phone to Glory Glory Man Utd in order to increase my time in front of God. As I support Liverpool, this is one of the songs I HATE, and I always sprinted down the bed when the alarm sounded. You can try it too by setting your alarm ringtone to a song you hate a lot. I will also bring some of my new routines which helped me with studies to relationships with God, such as the Lennon Wall.

Honestly I fell into a period of depression and doubting myself and God but it actually brought me closer to him and made my faith stronger because I didn’t hide these thoughts and feelings. I prayed about them and God was so good and carried me through the roughest time of my life
Original post by mechengineer8
are you sure god exists

Yes, there’s are all sorts of evidence and logical arguments and I can link some helpful articles and books if you but it all comes down to experiencing a real relationship with Him when you come to Him in humility, read the Bible and pray for Him to guide you.
Original post by 8013

What is the Lennon Wall?
Reply 5
Original post by sofianaranjo
What is the Lennon Wall?

I have stuck past Paper questions I got wrong on the wall. Then I am forced to look at it every day. As a result, I will never forget those stuff and typically get full marks on that type of question in every attempt thereafter. This answering pattern will become a habit.
I will also write bible verses and my responses to them on the wall as well. When those actions became my habits, I will take them off.
Yes, there’s are all sorts of evidence and logical arguments and I can link some helpful articles and books if you but it all comes down to experiencing a real relationship with Him when you come to Him in humility, read the Bible and pray for Him to guide you.

why would i read the bible for evidence. it was written over 1000 years ago and you expect me to believe it more than current science?
Reply 7
I have just removed songs from four Eurovision song contests off my mind after a message asking us to put the Spirit as the predominant in the mind.
I liked the contest and listened to a lot of those songs every day, especially those songs from 2008 onwards.
The four contests removed are 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2016, as all of their songs were moved off my playlist within 30 minutes after church ended. Removing 2014 will be a big circuit breaker because it is my favourite year. If 2014 is removed all the Eurovision songs are off my mind quickly.
Once a week I tune into Premier Christian Radio. Witness Lee is good. I did attend church in the past but yes I have grown closer to the Holy Spirit.
Original post by mechengineer8
why would i read the bible for evidence. it was written over 1000 years ago and you expect me to believe it more than current science?

Believe what you want then, as long as it doesn’t cause harm or inconvenience to anyone.
Reply 10
Original post by tinygirl96
Once a week I tune into Premier Christian Radio. Witness Lee is good. I did attend church in the past but yes I have grown closer to the Holy Spirit.

Honestly I fell into a period of depression and doubting myself and God but it actually brought me closer to him and made my faith stronger because I didn’t hide these thoughts and feelings. I prayed about them and God was so good and carried me through the roughest time of my life

This is gold! I hope there will be more people like us! COVID even bettered our spiritual relationships.
No. The last year has merely entrenched my atheism.
I have been attending services virtually as there are very few spaces in my local church and I don't want to deny a family a place. I actually attend a different church from my local one, and also hear the sermon from a family friend who is a vicar.
Reply 13
My church is open for in person services for the first time in 4 months today. The maximum capacity is reduced to 80, compared to the usual 250 to comply with governmental measures. There is nothing different apart from this.
Everyone sang this hymn passionately to open the service at 10:30, given that we haven't seen each other for such a long time.
https://www.hymnal.net/en/hymn/h/1158
How are yours doing? Are your churches open yet? If someone replied that their churches are still closed, don't worry, as I will summarise the messages from my church and tailor them to students before posting them here.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending