The police really don’t help themselves.

Watch
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
**** sat by as BLM and XR took to the streets, in fact, her officers danced around and took the knee. Yet last night, on what should have been a peaceful vigil to an innocent victim, police took to the streets and flexed their muscles. It’s shameful.

Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t believe any of the three events should have took place, but the sheer hypocrisy of letting BLM run riot and desecrate the city while choosing to arrest a few women is beyond belief.
Wanttobreakfree
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh no someone took a knee in support of black people against systemic murder and abuse towards black people the shock n' horror of it all. Oh no they pulled a statue down of a primitive minded genocidal racist maniac that whilst had some accolades of his own during World War II was nonetheless himself still a piece of s*** starving Indians in Bangel showing we're no exception only within the propaganda of our own white-washing hypocritical institutions. Oh no people both young and old including former police protesting against the threat of climate change and how our government is barely doing anything to mitigate in order to please their oil and coal donors. Oh no elderly nurse keeping to safety guidelines maintaining her distance whilst wearing a mask got arrested for protesting in demand of NHS being given a higher wage cause our useless self-serving government decided to use working class taxes to award themselves 37 billion in contracts for a broken track n' trace system during midst of a deadly pandemic instead; police having dragged said frail woman away. Oh no people protesting police brutality in general and getting arrested for it cause the job of the authorities is to protect the state; not the people. You're conflating so many things creating this false-equivalence that I don't know where to begin. The woman who was murdered by that officer and the police that rallied in PR around the incident are precisely why leftists like myself or others march alongside BLM. You grant immunity towards state authorities to be trusted doing whatever they feel like and with very little consequence or accountability then you're surprised they've little consequence or accountability for committing their own offences? Are you kidding me!
Name:  ed9.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  74.7 KB
What you're seeing recently is the right's crack down on dissent in general against the state and the authorities which enforce it.
Name:  Screenshot 2021-03-14 065215.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  111.4 KB
Totally in good faith
Name:  Screenshot 2021-03-14 065409.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  99.6 KB
What can I say dude unaccountable institutions and the state are corrupt. If you somehow have never realised before presently and historically then you're completely in the dark of this country's history.
Attached files
Last edited by Wanttobreakfree; 1 month ago
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
**** sat by as BLM and XR took to the streets, in fact, her officers danced around and took the knee. Yet last night, on what should have been a peaceful vigil to an innocent victim, police took to the streets and flexed their muscles. It’s shameful.

Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t believe any of the three events should have took place, but the sheer hypocrisy of letting BLM run riot and desecrate the city while choosing to arrest a few women is beyond belief.
The thing about police (and prob the army) is and I know a few, is whilst they may be good people in their personal lives and probably may be more right leaning politically - once they put on that uniform none of that matters.

These people's whole mindset is 'I'm going to do whatever I'm ordered to do and then retire with a nice pension' whether that's beating up commies or arresting pensioners for wearing a mask improperly. They'll also throw anyone under the bus who gets in their way. When we had a serious country this was basically fine and normal.

American conservatives learnt this the hard way when police went after 'Back the Blue' supporters and largely ignored the ACAB Antifa types who were far more violent.

In short as an institution:

'**** the police'
Wanttobreakfree
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
The thing about police (and prob the army) is and I know a few, is whilst they may be good people in their personal lives and probably may be more right leaning politically - once they put on that uniform none of that matters.

These people's whole mindset is 'I'm going to do whatever I'm ordered to do and then retire with a nice pension' whether that's beating up commies or arresting pensioners for wearing a mask improperly. They'll also throw anyone under the bus who gets in their way. When we had a serious country this was basically fine and normal.

American conservatives learnt this the hard way when police went after 'Back the Blue' supporters and largely ignored the ACAB Antifa types who were far more violent.

In short as an institution:

'**** the police'
Argument is not whether some of them and or not are: 'good people' I'm sure that's the case with pretty much anything else you can think of. The point is that when institutions and the state begin to neglect accountability or consequence of state enforced actions it leads to these systems becoming abusive as a result. We've seen this in India against farmers protesting the farmer's bill that'll open up their land to big corporations. We've seen this in Spain. We've seen this in America during the protests regarding George Floyd where even journalists both native and international were battered, beaten as well as filled with rubber bullets via the police. (Which is illegal by the way or it should be but hey you don't care about corruption so this will inevitably fall on deaf ears.) We've also seen this in Belarus with protesters contesting the election fraud that went down and of course naturally police brutality in Russia towards anyone standing up to Putin regime or in China the same regards to Xi Jinping. All this context of the state authorities abusing their state power and you want to: 'back the blue.' Of course you do you're a fascist. Your one and only belief is the supremacy of the state. F*** actually protecting and serving people police swear oath that isn't the corruption of the state apparatus.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wanttobreakfree)
: 'back the blue.' Of course you do you're a fascist. Your one and only belief is the supremacy of the state

We've also seen this in Belarus with protesters contesting the election fraud that went down and of course naturally police brutality in Russia towards anyone standing up to Putin regime or in China the same regards to Xi Jinping.
I guess you missed the part in my above post where I said **** the Police. I don't worship the state lol, you do. I don't harbour dumb pretensions that it'll go away magically.

Meanwhile in the USA, Man of the People Biden needs 10'000 troops to protect him from uh.... the people 😂😂😂

Name:  Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-36-16-72.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  85.1 KB
Wanttobreakfree
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I guess you missed the part in my above post where I said **** the Police. I don't worship the state lol, you do. I don't harbour dumb pretensions that it'll go away magically.

Meanwhile in the USA, Man of the People Biden needs 10'000 troops to protect him from uh.... the people 😂😂😂

Name:  Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-36-16-72.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  85.1 KB
No from insurrectionist nut-jobs seeking to smear **** on the walls like true: 'high IQ good gene' alpha males; paragons of western civilization and attempting to kidnap or assassinate members of congress to destroy American democracy attempting to establish Donald Trump as a Dictator cause he lost the election. The nut-cases even wanted to kill known Trump loyalists Mike Pence and Mitch McConnel along with threatening their families! Yes of course but you don't mean all police just the ones you think are on the side of our own state which they are. Your problem is they're not overtly KKK like the police in America as reported via the FBI being infiltrated by various white supremacists. That's your problem with the police not that they're violent and oppressive. You'd love it if they started bashing in some union students and BLM protesters or people against Brexit don't even attempt to lie to me! Truth is you love the state as long as it's you that's influencing it. You'd appear to know about as much about your own country of birth as you do my own. Nothing.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No from insurrectionist nut-jobs seeking to smear **** on the walls like true: 'high IQ good gene' alpha males; paragons of western civilization and attempting to kidnap or assassinate members of congress to destroy American democracy attempting to establish Donald Trump as a Dictator cause he lost the election. The nut-cases even wanted to kill known Trump loyalists Mike Pence and Mitch McConnel along with threatening their families! Yes of course but you don't mean all police just the ones you think are on the side of our own state which they are. Your problem is they're not overtly KKK like the police in America as reported via the FBI being infiltrated by various white supremacists. That's your problem with the police not that they're violent and oppressive. You'd love it if they started bashing in some union students and BLM protesters or people against Brexit don't even attempt to lie to me! Truth is you love the state as long as it's you that's influencing it. You'd appear to know about as much about your own country of birth as you do my own. Nothing.
I'm gonna stop replying to you until you can learn to debate like a grown up instead of ranting, hurling ad hominem as well as dodging questions and generally behaving like a nutter.

Good luck with the Workers Commune. Power to the people ! 🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🏴🏴🏴 🏴

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EC1KuBl39v8
Wanttobreakfree
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm gonna stop replying to you until you can learn to debate like a grown up instead of ranting, hurling ad hominem as well as dodging questions and generally behaving like a nutter.

Good luck with the Workers Commune. Power to the people ! 🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🏴🏴🏴 🏴

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EC1KuBl39v8
Did you seriously just non-ironically link me Russian State Media propaganda of the Putin dictatorship thinking it was somehow a gotcha!?
medds
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly I think the police's handling here was just awful.

Literally hundreds of people completely not social distancing. And what do they do? Stand back and gently arrrest like 3 people.

These people are breaking the law and killing people as a consequence. Go in there and arrest the ringleaders and disperse the rest. Any resistance, beat them with clubs I say. Just because they have a vagina why can they get away with breaking the law?

And people wonder why we've done the worst in the world regarding coronavirus...
hotpud
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I think the police are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Last year, they were criticised for allowing numerous raves and other public gatherings and protests going ahead. At the time, the police made a point of appealing to people's better nature and advising rather than punishing.

Things are different now. We are in the toughest lockdown from an enforcement point of view of all the lockdowns so far. The police have been upholding lockdown laws and using the £10,000 fixed penalty notice to organisers.

I have no sympathy for the vigil organisers. They applied to the police to hold the vigil and were denied. They even sought a high court order to hold their vigil and were denied. So they turn up and are surprised when the police move in and start arresting people for breaking lockdown rules.

My simple question for those who feel this is heavy handed. What would you have expected from the police if this had been a rave or street party or a wedding or other organised gathering given that the law in its current form is crystal clear - no gatherings.
Last edited by hotpud; 1 month ago
Driving_Mad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's a difference in the protests.

One was football fans celebrating, and they didn't look like they were acting aggressively.

In the other one I saw women shouting in the police officers' faces, and a woman push an officer.

Correct me if I am wrong?
Wanttobreakfree
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Driving_Mad)
There's a difference in the protests.

One was football fans celebrating, and they didn't look like they were acting aggressively.

In the other one I saw women shouting in the police officers' faces, and a woman push an officer.

Correct me if I am wrong?
One didn't even take the consideration to wear masks to protect themselves and or others? One's a commodity in form of entertainment that exists outside the state and the other is a protest against the state attempting to white-wash when authorities abuse their power; how do you mean? Also it more aggressive on a spectrum of violence to be yelling at some or actually physically trying to restrain a person simply just for yelling at them and within context their abuses?
Driving_Mad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
One didn't even take the consideration to wear masks to protect themselves and or others? One's a commodity in form of entertainment that exists outside the state and the other is a protest against the state attempting to white-wash when authorities abuse their power; how do you mean? Also it more aggressive on a spectrum of violence to be yelling at some or actually physically trying to restrain a person simply just for yelling at them and within context their abuses?
Not everyone was wearing masks in the vigil.

I wasn’t defending their actions. I was just saying you can’t compare the two situations.
Wanttobreakfree
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Driving_Mad)
Not everyone was wearing masks in the vigil.

I wasn’t defending their actions. I was just saying you can’t compare the two situations.
True and yet it was the ones who specifically were that got arrested. Of course you can't compare them there's no utility to going to a football game in midst spread of a deadly pandemic especially if you're not going to wear masks. There is utility in getting people to pay attention to the abuses of the state and how authorities are in lockstep with said abuse.
DanB1991
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh no someone took a knee in support of black people against systemic murder and abuse towards black people the shock n' horror of it all. Oh no they pulled a statue down of a primitive minded genocidal racist maniac that whilst had some accolades of his own during World War II was nonetheless himself still a piece of s*** starving Indians in Bangel showing we're no exception only within the propaganda of our own white-washing hypocritical institutions. Oh no people both young and old including former police protesting against the threat of climate change and how our government is barely doing anything to mitigate in order to please their oil and coal donors. Oh no elderly nurse keeping to safety guidelines maintaining her distance whilst wearing a mask got arrested for protesting in demand of NHS being given a higher wage cause our useless self-serving government decided to use working class taxes to award themselves 37 billion in contracts for a broken track n' trace system during midst of a deadly pandemic instead; police having dragged said frail woman away. Oh no people protesting police brutality in general and getting arrested for it cause the job of the authorities is to protect the state; not the people. You're conflating so many things creating this false-equivalence that I don't know where to begin. The woman who was murdered by that officer and the police that rallied in PR around the incident are precisely why leftists like myself or others march alongside BLM. You grant immunity towards state authorities to be trusted doing whatever they feel like and with very little consequence or accountability then you're surprised they've little consequence or accountability for committing their own offences? Are you kidding me!
Name:  ed9.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  74.7 KB
What you're seeing recently is the right's crack down on dissent in general against the state and the authorities which enforce it.
Name:  Screenshot 2021-03-14 065215.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  111.4 KB
Totally in good faith
Name:  Screenshot 2021-03-14 065409.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  99.6 KB
What can I say dude unaccountable institutions and the state are corrupt. If you somehow have never realised before presently and historically then you're completely in the dark of this country's history.
You do realise at the football match they arrested over 40 people? In comparison to what? 4 at the vigil?
Wanttobreakfree
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DanB1991)
You do realise at the football match they arrested over 40 people? In comparison to what? 4 at the vigil?
Was that before one of their own murdered kidnapped and murdered an innocent? Context matters here.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Was that before one of their own murdered kidnapped and murdered an innocent? Context matters here.
Lmao, one bad egg does not a spoiled dozen make.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I just remembered if you want to get really mad- loads of 'health experts' said that the BLM protests should be allowed to go ahead because "systemic racism is s public health crisis":

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahae...h=74b204b7851b

All of these people should face a hefty fine or/and be stripped of their medical credentials.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't get why people who have spent months screaming for the police to brutally crack down on anyone who has one extra guest in their house or had their mask on the wrong way round are suddenly horrified when the police do what they said they wanted them to do.

I guess people go slightly mental when a pretty white woman dies horribly.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with the sentiment that the police don't help themselves sometimes. But then I also would say that its a very difficult job, and issues with consistent policing are common on both sides of the political spectrum.

Those on the right will point to BLM vs the Anti-Lockdown protests, as an example of hypocritical policing, one which was clamped down on, the other allowed to happen.

Those on the right my point to this vs, well use the football example from earlier in the thread, and say 'look that's not fair!' etc.

I don't really think there is a political agenda to the police. More so that they have generally abandoned cold-readings of the law in favour of trying to gauge the mood of the public and any given situation. That creates subjunctive responses which are never going to be consistent.

---

The bigger issue for me, purely regarding policing, is that this is a continuation of last-years dangerous import. I wrote a lot about this last year, that one of the negative outcomes of the UK BLM movement (there are positives, but this was a negative) was that we were importing an Americanised view of the police-force. Despite all statistical evidence showing it wasn't true, the activists took on the american view that the police were out to kill innocent black people in the UK, and were a fundimentally racist institution. They ignored that we are around 20 years ahead of the USA in terms of this, and had our enquiry, of which 19/20 principles were implimented, back before most posters were born, and instead treated it as if the US police = the UK police. In the same way that they treat US racism = UK racism.

Its not surprising to me, that this narrative is coming up again in these protests. The progressive movement is now pretty anti-police, and seeing people say F the police, the police are X/Y/Z used to be the relm of far right football thugs and the like - now its the progressives who are taking up the anti-police mantra.

Largely though, the police in the UK are pretty good at what they do, and fueling division between the public and the police is a dangerous thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (132)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (399)
14.86%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (299)
11.14%
Lack of purpose or motivation (377)
14.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (121)
4.51%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (163)
6.07%
Loneliness (230)
8.57%
Financial worries (99)
3.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (109)
4.06%
Exposure to negative news/social media (122)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (141)
5.25%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (236)
8.79%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (257)
9.57%

Watched Threads