Which IB subjects to do for something Medicine related?

Watch this thread
username5685108
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi
I’m in Year 10 and I’m thinking of moving schools to do the IB. I don’t really know what I want to do at uni (or what uni I want to go to- but Oxbridge is probably the end goal) but I’m strongly considering something in Medicine. I have three different subject combinations that I’m considering doing and any advice would be appreciated!

So option 1 would be:

HL:
Chemistry
Biology
Maths

SL:
English
Philosophy
Mandarin ab inicio

Option 2
HL:
Chemistry
Biology
Maths

SL:
English
Philosophy
Latin

Or option 3:

HL:
Chemistry
Biology
Classical Greek*/Latin

SL:
English
Philosophy
Maths

*the school I’m considering applying to only offers Greek HL

So my main dilemma is whether to do HL/SL maths since I know a lot of medicine courses strongly recommend it. I’m doing Maths and Ad Maths for GCSE and I find it interesting but I’m not sure if I’d really enjoy the course and a lot of people say that it’s really difficult. But I also don’t know what language to do- I’ve never studied Mandarin but it sounds interesting, but again I’ve been told by some people that doing a language ab inicio is a mistake. I’m studying Greek and Latin at school and I really love them but I don’t know if it’s a good idea to do them for HL since it might put me at a disadvantage against people doing a Maths A Level.

Sorry that this got kinda long, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

TL;DR: Considering whether to apply to oxbridge for medicine with the IB- HL vs SL Maths, Greek vs Latin vs Mandarin ab inicio and is it a good idea to do a classics HL when applying for medicine?

Edit: Fixed typo
Last edited by username5685108; 1 year ago
sam_rondas
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gideonn)
Hi
I’m in Year 10 and I’m thinking of moving schools to do the IB. I don’t really know what I want to do at uni (or what uni I want to go to- but Oxbridge is probably the end goal) but I’m strongly considering something in Medicine. I have three different subject combinations that I’m considering doing and any advice would be appreciated!

So option 1 would be:

HL:
Chemistry
Biology
Maths

SL:
English
Philosophy
Mandarin ab inicio

Option 2
HL:
Chemistry
Biology
Maths

SL:
English
Philosophy
Latin

Or option 3:

HL:
Chemistry
Biology
Classical Greek*/Latin

SL:
English
Philosophy
Maths

So my main dilemma is whether to do HL/SL maths since I know a lot of medicine courses strongly recommend it. I’m doing Maths and Ad Maths for GCSE and I find it interesting but I’m not sure if I’d really enjoy the course and a lot of people say that it’s really difficult. But I also don’t know what language to do- I’ve never studied Mandarin but it sounds interesting, but again I’ve been told by some people that doing a language ab inicio is a mistake. I’m studying Greek and Latin at school and I really love them but I don’t know if it’s a good idea to do them for HL since it might put me at a disadvantage against people doing a Maths A Level.

TL;DR: Considering whether to apply to oxbridge for medicine with the IB- HL vs SL Maths, Greek vs Latin vs Mandarin ab inicio and is it a good idea to do a classics HL when applying for medicine?

Hi, I'm a fellow IB student applying to medicine (2021 entry).

Honestly, I would choose the subjects that you like the idea of the most (consider teachers too). Obviously, Bio and Chem at HL is a must, but I like to think of the third HL subject as the one that I like the most out of the other 4 options. I chose history at HL. Nothing to do with medicine. I've received an offer for medicine and am still waiting to hear back from another uni, so math at HL is definitely not a requirement. IB is tough, I would pick the subject you feel most comfortable doing at HL. That's my advice. Take it or leave it.

Good luck
username5685108
Rep:
(Original post by sam_rondas)

Honestly, I would choose the subjects that you like the idea of the most (consider teachers too). Obviously, Bio and Chem at HL is a must, but I like to think of the third HL subject as the one that I like the most out of the other 4 options. I chose history at HL. Nothing to do with medicine. I've received an offer for medicine and am still waiting to hear back from another uni, so math at HL is definitely not a requirement. IB is tough, I would pick the subject you feel most comfortable doing at HL. That's my advice. Take it or leave it.

Good luck
Thanks, that’s really helpful!
vipasha.2106
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi

So option 1 would be:

HL:
Chemistry
Biology
Maths

SL:
English
Philosophy
Mandarin ab inicio

Option 2
HL:
Chemistry
Biology
Maths

SL:
English
Philosophy
Latin

Or option 3:

HL:
Chemistry
Biology
Classical Greek*/Latin

SL:
English
Philosophy
Maths

Hi! I am kinda doing the first option and I am also applying for medicine. My subjects are BIO HL, CHEM HL, MATH AI HL, PHY SL, ENGLISH SL, AND ab initio Bahasa. Till now I haven't faced any problems in applying though I am not sure what is required for Oxbridge. I selected phy as my SL because HL is too hard, haha and it seems like a good plus point to see in a potential medical student's portfolio and also you will find it easier to do any entrance exams because they consist of Physics as a small part of the exam!
vipasha.2106
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sam_rondas)

Good luck
Even I am an IB student applying to medicine (2021 entry). My IB session is May 2021.. wbu?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Any of them are fine for any medical school, the only exception being the last option would not meet the requirements for Cambridge which functionally requires three STEM subjects to HL. No other medical school cares what your third HL is and provided you are doing HL Bio/Chem you will meet the requirements (subject wise anyway) for every other medical school. Medical schools won't care what your SL subjects are except possibly requiring the AA version of maths if you are taking it. So take whichever subjects you think you will get the best result in otherwise.

Classics or Greek/Latin will not help or hinder a medical application. It's worth noting though if you're planning to take those subjects out of some misguided notion that having studied the ancient languages will make learning medical terminology "easier", it's a bit pointless. Greek and Latin will be primarily grammar focused, and knowing the declensions for all noun forms or how to form various types of participle isn't going to help you memorise some terminology which descends from Greek or Latin later (it might make you annoyed if you see that it mixes Greek and Latin forms though ).

So only take those if a) you are very strong at (ancient) language learning and b) you have a genuine interest in those subjects for themselves, and not as a means to an end. The point applies to any subject choice in principle, but I think is especially applicable for ancient languages which are definitely not easy, and will be even harder to memorise all the forms and grammar you need to know if you have no real interest in the material otherwise!
username5685108
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Any of them are fine for any medical school, the only exception being the last option would not meet the requirements for Cambridge which functionally requires three STEM subjects to HL. No other medical school cares what your third HL is and provided you are doing HL Bio/Chem you will meet the requirements (subject wise anyway) for every other medical school. Medical schools won't care what your SL subjects are except possibly requiring the AA version of maths if you are taking it. So take whichever subjects you think you will get the best result in otherwise.

Classics or Greek/Latin will not help or hinder a medical application. It's worth noting though if you're planning to take those subjects out of some misguided notion that having studied the ancient languages will make learning medical terminology "easier", it's a bit pointless. Greek and Latin will be primarily grammar focused, and knowing the declensions for all noun forms or how to form various types of participle isn't going to help you memorise some terminology which descends from Greek or Latin later (it might make you annoyed if you see that it mixes Greek and Latin forms though ).

So only take those if a) you are very strong at (ancient) language learning and b) you have a genuine interest in those subjects for themselves, and not as a means to an end. The point applies to any subject choice in principle, but I think is especially applicable for ancient languages which are definitely not easy, and will be even harder to memorise all the forms and grammar you need to know if you have no real interest in the material otherwise!
I don’t really think that learning them will make learning medicine easier- I just really enjoy the subjects. I get good grades in them and I’ve always been really interested in Greek mythology. I find them easier to learn that modern languages at least. Thank you for your advice
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I don’t really think that learning them will make learning medicine easier- I just really enjoy the subjects. I get good grades in them and I’ve always been really interested in Greek mythology. I find them easier to learn that modern languages at least. Thank you for your advice
In that case it sounds like a good option (I'm trying to not be biased because I'm currently studying ancient languages )

As long as you don't want to apply to Cambridge for medicine then you can take HL Chem/Bio and any other HL
HomelyInaccuracy
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi

So option 1 would be:

HL:
Chemistry
Biology
Maths

SL:
English
Philosophy
Mandarin ab inicio

Option 2
HL:
Chemistry
Biology
Maths

SL:
English
Philosophy
Latin

Or option 3:

HL:
Chemistry
Biology
Classical Greek*/Latin

SL:
English
Philosophy
Maths

I feel like doing math hL would be a good idea
sam_rondas
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vipasha.2106)
Even I am an IB student applying to medicine (2021 entry). My IB session is May 2021.. wbu?
May 2021
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (86)
66.67%
No (29)
22.48%
I didn't use it to prepare (14)
10.85%

Watched Threads