The Student Room Group

Music at university without it being my degree

Hi! I play saxophone and piano to a high level at secondary school currently. I lived in the US for the past three years so I know that colleges/unis there have really good music programs even if that isn't your degree, but I wondered if it's the same in the UK? If I don't go to uni for music, are there still ensembles/opportunities or does that tend to be external?
Reply 1
Original post by babushka777
Hi! I play saxophone and piano to a high level at secondary school currently. I lived in the US for the past three years so I know that colleges/unis there have really good music programs even if that isn't your degree, but I wondered if it's the same in the UK? If I don't go to uni for music, are there still ensembles/opportunities or does that tend to be external?

Most unis will have all sorts of orchestras/jazz bands/general music societies which anybody is welcome to join :smile:
Original post by babushka777

Hello!

Alongside your degree you'll be able to join as many societies as you wish too!
Have a look at the societies that your university offer to see if there are any you like the look of :smile:

If not, in your local area at university there may be separate music groups that aren't connected with the university that you may prefer. So i'm sure there will be lots of options for you :smile:

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest