The Student Room Group

York or Loughborough for politics and international relations

I have offers at both of these unis but can’t decide which to choose. Loughborough accommodation looks great and it’s closer to home but York looks like a much nicer place/city and it’s a RG uni. Both courses are equally as good. Help!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Admin - can you please delete this thread as I posted twice by mistake.
Original post by HJNeale
I have offers at both of these unis but can’t decide which to choose. Loughborough accommodation looks great and it’s closer to home but York looks like a much nicer place/city and it’s a RG uni. Both courses are equally as good. Help!

Hi @HJNeale
Congratulations on your offers!
I studied Politics at York and graduated in 2020. If there's anything you'd like to know either about the course, uni or city I'd be really happy to help. I know it's a huge decision to make but I'm sure you'll be happy at either York or Loughborough.
Let me know if you need anything!
Bea
Graduate Ambassador
Reply 3
Hi
Thanks for your reply. How did you find the college system? Accommodation doesn’t look as good as Loughborough. The halls in Campus East seem a bit more modern but I believe politics is based in Campus West so is that too far.
How many contact hours did you have?
I’m really torn.
Original post by HJNeale
Hi
Thanks for your reply. How did you find the college system? Accommodation doesn’t look as good as Loughborough. The halls in Campus East seem a bit more modern but I believe politics is based in Campus West so is that too far.
I’m really torn.

That's ok, I'm happy to help you make the right decision for you.
I really liked the college system, not many unis have it but I think it's a great way to make friends. When you're new and getting to know people it's really easy to connect over and I made some of my best friends in my college. I lived in Halifax standard accommodation in both my first and third year and really loved it but there are options to suit everyone.
The accommodation on East is lovely and lots of people really like it there, it definitely has the newer colleges which might be something you're looking for. In terms of it being too far from your lectures, it isn't really. There's a free bus from East to West, it's a 15-20 minute walk or a really speedy bike ride. So it's definitely doable and lots of students choose that option.
Original post by HJNeale
Hi
I’m really torn.

In terms of contact hours...
In my first year I did four core modules which meant four hours of lectures a week (an hour for each modules) and six hours of seminars a week (an hour and a half for each module). There are set seminar readings every week but I never found the workload unmanageable and the staff were always happy to help when I needed them.
In my second year my contact hours were the same as my first year.
In your third year you have your dissertation as an ongoing project (with a few meetings and lectures over the year) but you'll have two optional modules to do in autumn term and another two in spring term. This meaning I had two hours of lectures and three hours of seminars a week (plus any dissertation work as that differed week to week).
Original post by HJNeale
Hi
I’m really torn.

There's lots of things to consider when choosing your university so just take your time and consider what's important to you. If you need to take another look at our accommodation you can do here. Or you can email the accommodation team at [email protected] or call them on +44 (0) 1904 322165. It might be worthwhile looking at the modules for your course and seeing if anything interests you, you can always email the department at [email protected] and the staff will be happy to answer any questions. For me societies were the most important part of my university experience and the thing that made York super special to me. We have over 200 which you have have a look at here.
If there's any other questions you think I can help with feel free to message again.
Thanks,
Bea
Graduate Ambassador
Original post by HJNeale
Admin - can you please delete this thread as I posted twice by mistake.

Hi there, I posted a reply on your other thread!

Quick Reply

Latest