The Student Room Group

Transferring to US university

Hi, I want to transfer to a university in US.
I'm currently in my first year, and I was wondering if I should let counselor/tutors know that I'm attempting to transfer.
I'm honestly hesitating because they could take this as an offense, thinking I'm undervaluing its reputation.

Also, I have to apply in the middle of my term. The problem is, the scores won't be out by then. Does this mean I have to wait till 2nd year to apply? Can I ask the university for a conditional offer? I don't think they have something like conditional offer there, but still, what can I ask them to do?
Hi! They most certainly won't take it offensively. People change their minds, drop out, change their courses every day. It's just another day for them. As for transferring to a US university, have you properly looked into it? I don't mean to be patronising, but I considered it a few years ago and it was pretty difficult. You need to do an International Baccalaureate qualification so that your grades can transfer to the American system. This costs hundreds of pounds as far as I'm aware, and is similar to A-Levels in terms of study. You will also not receive any financial support like you do in the UK with student finance - this isn't offered over there. Hence why when you watch American films, the parents always seem stressed saving for college! I do believe there are some forms of financial aid available to students, although this is very rarely offered to international students. You could also apply for a scholarship, but again, these tend to be difficult to get and are usually based on merit or sporting achievements. So you're looking at paying upwards from $30,000 a year to attend American university, without any financial aid. I also think there is something to do with needing someone over there to act as your guarantor if you do manage to apply for financial aid - essentially agreeing to 'support' you (basically, if you fail to pay for your studies, they will pay for you). The best bet would be to see if your university offers a transfer year / year abroad, as you wouldn't have to worry about any of this stuff then! Maybe email them or check your course description on their website. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending