The Student Room Group

Going to college not knowing anyone

So in september Im going to Barton Peveril, but all my friends are going to their nearest local college. Ill be starting there not knowing anyone probably. Im also introverted and dont talk much which doesnt help. I dont want to be sitting alone at lunch looking like a loner. Has anyone else been in this position and what did you do to get to know each other and find people to hang out with?
Original post by Jandrew17
So in september Im going to Barton Peveril, but all my friends are going to their nearest local college. Ill be starting there not knowing anyone probably. Im also introverted and dont talk much which doesnt help. I dont want to be sitting alone at lunch looking like a loner. Has anyone else been in this position and what did you do to get to know each other and find people to hang out with?

Hi! Don't worry too much about being lonely, I am sure you will be able to make friends easily. I would say that I am quite introverted as well. I went to a new sixth form too and only a few people from my past school went there. Also, no-one that I knew took the same subjects as me.

I would recommend on the first day say hi to everyone and ask them which subjects they are taking. If you see someone who looks lonely, go talk to them as they are probably feeling the same way. You can also make up excuses such as, do you know where x room is- even if you know where it is. This will allow you see if they are in any of your classes or even form. I would also go to class early, then you are more likely to find other classmates. When I was in year 12 on the first day we used to talk about GCSEs a lot which was a great ice breaker. Join clubs as well as you can meet other people who aren't in your course too.

My sixth form on the first day had no lessons, we spent the whole day doing ice-breaker challenges which were so useful. If your school has something like this, this is a great opportunity to make friends.

Hope this helps, if you need any more advice just ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest