The Student Room Group

How many A-S subjects should I take?

I know that I have to take 3 A-Levels (for the second year of A level). But I heard you have to take 4 subjects for your first year of A Level (A-S year) and then drop one subject and do the 3 that you kept for the second year (the actual A Level). So my question, do I take 4 A Level subjects and drop one in the first year or just take 3 and study them for 2 years?
What subjects are you planning on doing? What are you planning on doing after A-levels? Have you spoken to the college you’re applying to (not all do AS)?

Personally I think doing something like an EPQ or AS maths is good as it’s seen as beneficial for some universities courses but doing 3 A levels means you can have more free time and can focus on getting 3 good grades.
I would recommend doing 3 A levels as AS levels are not so much a thing anymore and usually don't benefit you and can even make it harder to get better predicted grades as you will have a higher workload. The only exception being AS maths. AS maths for some degrees can be beneficial and can even result in a reduced offer. If you are interested in a certain degree check out a few unis pages for it and see what it says.

Doing an EPQ as suggested above is also a great way to spend some of your time in year 12 and is looked highly upon by unis and also can result in a reduced offer.

Quick Reply

Latest