The Student Room Group

BIMM or Leeds Conservatoire

Hi everyone,

I've received offers for Popular Music Performance at BIMM Brighton and Bristol, and Leeds Conservatoire for Popular Music Performance with a Foundation year. But I'm struggling to make a decision, my primary instrument is guitar and I also do vocals.

I was drawn to Bimm for the work experience and placement opportunities, there seems to be a much bigger focus on this there, but I've seen some bad reviews on here about them not having any kinds of societies, or even their own library. I've heard they also do lots of things if you're suffering from performance related anxiety.
As much as the work experience is very important to me, I do really want to get a good education too of course.

Has anybody studied these courses at these Uni's, please let me know what your thoughts and experiences are like.

Thanks
As a BIMM drop out with performance anxiety (I had to take beta blockers for every performance during my bimm and other conservatoire days), I'd say Leeds. But it also depends on the kind of music you want to do. Feel free to send me a message if you want to chat about it
Reply 2
Original post by ActingDirecting
As a BIMM drop out with performance anxiety (I had to take beta blockers for every performance during my bimm and other conservatoire days), I'd say Leeds. But it also depends on the kind of music you want to do. Feel free to send me a message if you want to chat about it

Thanks for replying :smile: sorry to hear that, did you find the Uni to be supportive through this? I worry about how I'll be performing as I started my music journey during lockdown and have-not been able to.
I don't enjoy presentations at all, but I hoped performing would be slightly different as it is playing something that you enjoy.

I'd love to hear about what the day to day was like or the lessons at Bimm or other Conservatoires if you're okay with sharing? Thanks again
Original post by lllouluc12
Thanks for replying :smile: sorry to hear that, did you find the Uni to be supportive through this? I worry about how I'll be performing as I started my music journey during lockdown and have-not been able to.
I don't enjoy presentations at all, but I hoped performing would be slightly different as it is playing something that you enjoy.

I'd love to hear about what the day to day was like or the lessons at Bimm or other Conservatoires if you're okay with sharing? Thanks again

I found the teachers more supportive than the school. But then again, it was five years ago. For the lessons, I was playing bass, so it might be a bit different. We basically had Styles, Technique, Artist Development, Live Performance Workshop, Music Buisness, Music Theory and Upright Bass
Hi! I just saw this, but if you are considering Leeds, we have a group chat on snapchat for people starting in september, including some going on your course. If you'd like to join, add my snapchat : freyap1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending