The Student Room Group

Birthday without cake 🎂😢

Yesterday was my 29th birthday, and my family never got me a cake. They all chipped in to buy me one present, which was a *****y candle, they know full well I do not like candles. Mum even refused to let me drink, and I got into a relationship with my sister over my critical attitude. They usually make the effort on the birthdays of the rest of my family, and I go out of my way to make sure they all have a special day to enjoy. I feel so upset and rotten, and do not know what to do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Yesterday was my 29th birthday, and my family never got me a cake. They all chipped in to buy me one present, which was a *****y candle, they know full well I do not like candles. Mum even refused to let me drink, and I got into a relationship with my sister over my critical attitude. They usually make the effort on the birthdays of the rest of my family, and I go out of my way to make sure they all have a special day to enjoy. I feel so upset and rotten, and do not know what to do?

im so sorry
i hope you have a good year :smile: don't let that get you down. Maybe tell them how you feel, because I would be upset too.

Happy Birthday! xx
Reply 2
Original post by Qxi.xli
im so sorry
i hope you have a good year :smile: don't let that get you down. Maybe tell them how you feel, because I would be upset too.

Happy Birthday! xx

I told them how I felt last night, hence the argument with my sister. Thank you for being nice. :colone:
Reply 3
You're 29, you could've gotten your own cake if you really wanted one, and bought your own if you wanted to drink.
I would say you should go and treat yourself. Order stuff online or go shopping. Buy yourself a cake and some gifts. You can make your own happiness.
Reply 5
Original post by Foxehh
You're 29, you could've gotten your own cake if you really wanted one, and bought your own if you wanted to drink.

I wanted a few drinks to celebrate, and to end the night with cake and my family singing happy birthday. Unfortunately, they do not love me enough. :frown:
Also, I have learning difficulties.

🎂 :biggrin:
Original post by Foxehh

Why are you being mean to him for? If it’s your birthday you don’t buy your own cake
Why are you being mean to him for? If it’s your birthday you don’t buy your own cake

exactly lol. He isn't asking for much imo.
Happy birthday OP! :cake: :cake: :cake:

Lots of love! :heart: :love:

I had a bday during lockdown too, my family didnt do much either. You can have a proper celebration w friends once this is over? :smile: Everyone is having two bdays during the pandemic xxxx

You are a gem don't forget that! :heart: :colondollar:
Original post by Foxehh

Ever heard of the expression, "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all?" because you should use it. There is no need for rudeness.

I'm 18 my parents never bought me a cake for 2 years. They wish I was dead. I have depression and anxiety.
Reply 12

Im not being mean, Im being blunt.
You cant control what other people do in life. If you have an issue, sometimes you have to solve it yourself. OP wants a cake, so OP should get OP a cake.
I'm 18 my parents never bought me a cake for 2 years. They wish I was dead. I have depression and anxiety.

I’m sorry about that, but if you want to talk about that make your own thread please, because it sounds like you’re saying it to minimise his problems.

Original post by Foxehh
You cant control what other people do in life. If you have an issue, sometimes you have to solve it yourself. OP wants a cake, so OP should get OP a cake.

It’s not about getting cake. It’s about the thought. They didn’t even buy him a proper present.
Original post by Foxehh

That's not the point, why should I buy my own cake? Yes, I want one, but I expected my family to pay for it. Mean and blunt have pretty much the same meaning, you're still bringing me down for absolutely no reason. I hope you do not have to experience this on your bd. :frown:
Original post by Foxehh

You're kind of missing the point. A birthday cake isn't just about the cake, it's about the people buying it for you, singing and making it an experience. Of course you can buy your own cake, but it's not the same at all. And this isn't much to expect from your own family members.

Anyway, happy birthday OP! Sucks what happened but you made a point to your family and hopefully they'll take it on board. I agree with BohemianPhysics, go spend a little time/money and pamper yourself, you deserve it!
Original post by Foxehh

😂😂🤣

Sounds like they did try. If they all chipped in and usually make a greater effort then maybe this year they're struggling for money? Obviously I don't know, but that's the vibe I get from this.

Also, your sister may have felt you were being ungrateful if this is the case and they've tried to do something nice.

I'm sorry your birthday didn't go as you'd want, but I'm sure your family care more than you think.
Reply 18
It’s not about getting cake. It’s about the thought. They didn’t even buy him a proper present.

You have no idea the context behind it. We're in a pandemic, and cakes and presents are expensive. There are many reasons OP's family could have not gotten him anything.
Reply 19
That's not the point, why should I buy my own cake? Yes, I want one, but I expected my family to pay for it. Mean and blunt have pretty much the same meaning, you're still bringing me down for absolutely no reason. I hope you do not have to experience this on your bd. :frown:

Because its you who wants the cake, not your family :confused: Most adults do not expect their family to pay for their cake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending