The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Stander
How much of the assigned texts has everyone read? It seems like a lot, and I haven't been quite as motivated on it as I thought I would be...only 80 pages of the Copeland book so far. What do you think, time to panic yet?

lol..stander i havnt even started the copeland book..only done 80 pages of the maths workbook....cant get down to studin rite now...btw where u from and what have u done in ur undergrad??
Reply 21
Thanks for the (reassuring) reply.
My background: 20 years old, B.A. in economics from University of Minnesota; GMAT: 760 (46 Verbal, 48 Quantitative, 6.0 AWA), no work experience whatsoever. Didn't do very much in undergrad, just basic economics stuff (no econometrics or finance and only 2 semesters of calculus). Got into Linacre College (seems nice, but then again I don't even understand how this college system really works).
Look forward to seeing you in October, Rahulm.

rahulm
lol..stander i havnt even started the copeland book..only done 80 pages of the maths workbook....cant get down to studin rite now...btw where u from and what have u done in ur undergrad??
Reply 22
Here it is, a reading list designed to ruin your summer:
Finance: T.E. Copeland and J.F. Weston "Financial Theory and Corporate Policy", Addison-Wesley;
Microeconomics: H.R. Varian, "Intermediate Microeconomics", W.W. Norton & Company;
Other preparation: Maths Pack, Oxford University Department of Economics (to be supplied as necessary).

AnishaB
hey all..was a bundle of nerves before D'Day but am glad to say that i got thru!!
so wot's the pre course stuff like? can anyone put up a list?? pls??
:smile:)
Reply 23
Stander
How much of the assigned texts has everyone read? It seems like a lot, and I haven't been quite as motivated on it as I thought I would be...only 80 pages of the Copeland book so far. What do you think, time to panic yet?

I just want to enjoy this summer time...
Reply 24
Stander
Here it is, a reading list designed to ruin your summer:
Finance: T.E. Copeland and J.F. Weston "Financial Theory and Corporate Policy", Addison-Wesley;
Microeconomics: H.R. Varian, "Intermediate Microeconomics", W.W. Norton & Company;
Other preparation: Maths Pack, Oxford University Department of Economics (to be supplied as necessary).

Varian... I have heard that it is more quantitative than others...
Some of you must have studied this one...
Observing the reading list, it seems to emphasize more economics than finance...
Reply 25
Same here, but I've been fretting the whole time. I was hoping I could skip Varian, but the more I hear (like you said, real quantitative) the more I'm worried.

abircc
I just want to enjoy this summer time...
Reply 26
hey thanks for the lists..
anyone has any more useful info about the course??
when does it actually start? i'm guessing first week of oct but can someone pls confirm?
thanks!
Reply 27
i think 3rd oct...but i'll prob be reaching on the 16th of sept...first term ends on 3rd dec
Reply 28
So, has anyone decided on a topic for their thesis? I heard the length is supposed to be 10,000 words, not so bad. I can't think of anything, probably just wait until later.
Reply 29
hey need to know something abt the HSBC loan scheme..anyone who knows some details, pls mail me..thanks..

Haven't been anle to get my hands on those books yet..
Reply 30
i had asked about the loan...for it u have to show personal assets and bank statements...not family...only then u can get it....speak with sanjay ballabh....he'll let u know everything...i cudnt get it coz i have no assets of my own..all family....

btw anisha where in delhi u from??
Reply 31
hey all..have some burning questions about the course and i hope they can be put to rest!

- have of course heard that the course should be great but would be glad if someone cud put up some SBS placement statistics for reassurance..does anyone have any clue about prospective placements?? basically it is an expensive course and i just want to be sure..

- do these people provide an extension on the 1-month deadline if requested??..i have put in a mail but there has been no responce..

am a bit perturbed :confused: at this stage actually and any info or news tit-bit would be more than welcome..

thanks! :smile:
Reply 32
placement statistics : u can visit their website it's 83% within three months
,morever many ppl may choose to extend thier internship and can go for phd also ,dun knw abt this course but surely since it is inclined to finance ,i dun thnk there shld be any problem because majority of recruiters are from finance in various bschools

well regarding 1 month limit ,one of my senior got into mfe ,he later got into lse and had to dump that money because he is heading towards lse,so u can judge
how strict they are ,he did try a lot for all stuff earlier and later also,
Reply 33
at last! some relevant information! :smile:)

i will pay my deposit soon and will know of college then..what are the odds that i'll get acco?? i desperately need hostel accomodation!!!! any ideas on what i can do if i don't get it???? i'm quite clueless actually..

done half of Varian..have read a bit of 'Irrational Exuberance' and 'Comparing Financial Systems"..hmm..miles to go before i sleep..
hey all those that've been accepted!! keep us updated about the MFE program after you go there! i mean, tell us what's the quality of the course and all!!! you're the first batch afterall!!
you all must be quite excited wth just 2 months left!!!!!!

i'm another indian planning to apply for it next year...

for starters, can you tell us what's the expected gpa, based on the ones that are selected now?? that's my only worry (as of now)...
and the next comes the recommendation letters!!! so where did you get yours?!!
Reply 35
AnishaB
at last! some relevant information! :smile:)

i will pay my deposit soon and will know of college then..what are the odds that i'll get acco?? i desperately need hostel accomodation!!!! any ideas on what i can do if i don't get it???? i'm quite clueless actually..

done half of Varian..have read a bit of 'Irrational Exuberance' and 'Comparing Financial Systems"..hmm..miles to go before i sleep..

I think accommodation is really a problem... I am at waiting list and wondering if I could eventually get it. HOWEVER, I find someone just garduated form lse and will also go into Said. He planned to rent outside the campus... maybe I would stay his place till I got one... <--it's a way for your consideration...

never think about the 8 or 10 pounds/night place to stay... it's awesome and terrible...
Reply 36
flyingkolours
hey all those that've been accepted!! keep us updated about the MFE program after you go there! i mean, tell us what's the quality of the course and all!!! you're the first batch afterall!!
you all must be quite excited wth just 2 months left!!!!!!

i'm another indian planning to apply for it next year...

for starters, can you tell us what's the expected gpa, based on the ones that are selected now?? that's my only worry (as of now)...
and the next comes the recommendation letters!!! so where did you get yours?!!

maybe if you could tell us sthing about your background first?? do u have any gmat/gre scores?
Reply 37
AnishaB
maybe if you could tell us sthing about your background first?? do u have any gmat/gre scores?

hey i am in line too ,want to know my chances ,im duin btech in IIT MADRAS

gre 770 quant ,540 verbal ,my gpa is 7.65/10 ,majors in aerospace ,with minors
in business and finances(8.1/10),im besides tht im duin research work in forex markets and mean reversion behavious of indian stock markets ,hve done courses in economics ,finance ,but registered for statistics(0/10) :mad: once but dropped it,now enrollled again ,

i hve posted it before but nobody replied :confused: :eek:

i want to know what are my chances if i apply 3rd or 4rth dead line ,i hve posted before but ppl nobody replied ,also want to know about statistics requirement ,du i need to hve a specific course in statistics or not hve done loads of maths complex analysis,vectors, etc etc .
one of my seniors got it,but he is not goin cld not contact him also now passed out ,
Reply 38
I haven't been having many of the difficulties that the other posts have noted. I don't have any assets, but I had no problem getting a loan from HSBC. I also got my first pick for accomodation (my college is Linace). Then again, I was accepted from round 1, so maybe future applicants should try then versus the later rounds.

On the other hand, I still haven't done much reading (though I do have Irrational Exuberance on my bookshelf...looks nice there!)
AnishaB

hi! thanks for the reply!!! will be glad to let you know my background!!

MSc(Tech) Finance from BITS Pilani, 2004
i guess u must've atleast heard the name! :smile: it's a 4 year course where i had some math courses like advanced calculus, linear algebra etc, finance courses like theory of finance, financial management, security analysis and portfolio management etc and some IT courses like C, Object oriented programming etc... i managed to get a lot of A's in the finance courses but did badly in the math courses and the IT courses...
but at the end i had a cumulative G.P.A of 3.2/4 and a GPA of 3.69 if i consider only Finance in which i majored....

GMAT score of 730 (99 percentile in quant, 85 percentile in verbal)

an internship of 6 months in central bank of india, mumbai

I've been since then working in infosys as a software engineer since july 2004...

also, I am a Level-1 CFA candidate, taking the level-1 in december.

had a couple of good projects presented at our college academic festival (in which a lot of colleges participate)

i'd be glad if you can give me a frank view about my chances for sbs mfe....assuming that my personal statement and references are about average...

also, if you can, can you give me an idea about the other univs where i have a fair chance of getting in....out of lse, warwick, imperial, loughborough, bristol etc??

thanks for the help :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending