Shweetyyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I’m in my first year of university and I’m doing nursing, my placement are 12 weeks all together for this year and I am supposed to do 678 hours my first placement was 6 weeks and the second one would also be 6 weeks and lastly the third one will also be 6 weeks, I am supposed to go in for 3 days every week, I was wondering if I do extra days (like one day extra) just so I don’t end up doing my placement in August would that be allowed?
moosec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You’d need to check your own uni’s placement policy/ contact their placement team as each uni’s stances regarding placement can vary quite significantly

From personal knowledge, a lot of the uni’s I know of will not let you do over a certain number of hours per week, and no more days than stipulated on your rota.

It’s probably better to get your uni & placement area’s viewpoint - none of us on here would want to give you inaccurate information
Good luck with placement!
Emily_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You're expected to do 37.5 hours a week as a student and max you're allowed to do is usually 48 hours. If your 3 shifts a week are 12 hours then that's only 36 hours - as long as you ask, many placements are ok with you doing an extra every so often to boost your hours.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’m not sure if I fully get your question here, are you wanting to work over on your placements so you don’t need to attend another entire block of placement?
Shweetyyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by moonkatt)
I’m not sure if I fully get your question here, are you wanting to work over on your placements so you don’t need to attend another entire block of placement?
Yes
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Shweetyyy)
Yes
It is unlikely that your university will allow this tbh.
paub
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
wont happen and a bad idea to lose a placement.
Emily_B
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by moonkatt)
It is unlikely that your university will allow this tbh.
(Original post by paub)
I don't know about other universities, but Chester pencils in a retrieval placement over the summer (or January for March cohorts) for those who haven't quite achieved everything during the 3 compulsory placements, including being short on hours. If you've achieved everything in your documents and have completed all your hours then you naturally don't have to do the retrieval placement over the summer. (This is how I'd read it as being the case. May be wrong.) If this is the case for OP then I'd encourage OP to avoid the faff of doing a placement they otherwise wouldn't have to do.
Shweetyyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by paub)
I understand it’s a bad idea to lose a placement but then that mean I get no holiday in the summer which as a nursing student I believe is very important especially with all the work we do
Emily_B
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Shweetyyy)
I understand it’s a bad idea to lose a placement but then that mean I get no holiday in the summer which as a nursing student I believe is very important especially with all the work we do
If it's a compulsory placement rather than a retrieval one, then tough luck you have to do it - the university have already agreed these hours with the NMC. (if it's a retrieval one, you're ok... but it's beginning to sound like it's compulsory one.)
You are entitled to holidays, however you will already have them allocated over the year by the university and not always over the typical summer holiday period.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (136)
42.37%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (37)
11.53%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.41%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (68)
21.18%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.59%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.92%

Watched Threads