The Student Room Group

John Locke summer school

has anyone attended the John Locke institute summer school- was it much help in the admissions process and was it any good (HSPS) thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by girlinyear12
has anyone attended the John Locke institute summer school- was it much help in the admissions process and was it any good (HSPS) thanks!

Ooh, i also really want to know this lmao
hii i did the JLI summer school last year at Oxford and i found it truly helpful!! the tutors were so so knowledgeable and the conversations with your peers were ever more interesting. i also got valuable TSA advice and some really good links for my personal statement.
heyy I’m applying this year and was wondering what the social aspect of JLI is like
Original post by anastaciaaa
Hello, I went to JLI last year for the PPE school despite what my friends who went there the year before told me - the professors were knowledgeable yet unapproachable, the course content was either too complicated or too simple to the extent that it was a total waste of time. Outside of the classroom, most students were quite nice yet loads of them were drinking or smoking at night, and overall it was quite an unpleasant experience, and definitely not worth the expensive cost. It is not true that all pupils who have attended JLI move on to Oxbridge or Ivy Leagues, I would say that most pupils there are just there because they can afford the expensive course, not because of their intelligence or other prerequisites.

Hey, thanks for responding, if JLI isn't the best option would you recommend other institutes?
Original post by itsbhere
Hey, thanks for responding, if JLI isn't the best option would you recommend other institutes?

Hello! I saw your comment on another post as well - as mentioned there, a good alternative would be Oxford Scholastica's course on International Relations (despite the course name, the course content is deeply focused on Economics & Politics with a bit of IR theory which is a bonus!) It is recommended by my sister (she was accepted to study PPE at Balliol College at Oxford this year) and several other friends in my school! As said in the other post, I have joined that course this summer - so hopefully I will meet you there!

Quick Reply

Latest