The Student Room Group

ucas and switching courses/unis

hi all, hope everyone is having a splendid sunday evening.
quick overview: ive applied to childrens nursing and have realised that i applied for gratification and validation from others (family and friends). i want to change my course to marketing because it's something that i see myself doing and enjoying too.
question: can i do this on ucas now or is it too late/ how do i go about doing this?
thank you so much!
saf <3
Original post by safarisafa
quick overview: ive applied to childrens nursing and have realised that i applied for gratification and validation from others (family and friends). i want to change my course to marketing because it's something that i see myself doing and enjoying too.
question: can i do this on ucas now or is it too late/ how do i go about doing this?
thank you so much!
saf <3

Hey @safarisafa

Hope you're having a splendid sunday evening too. I'm very sorry to hear you applied for gratification, but glad you realised!
I'm not sure if you can change it now, but you can definitely apply to Surrey through Clearing in summer 2021.

I'm a second year Marketing student. Lectures are very good. This year the University has taken on a hybrid teaching model, which basically means some of it is online and some face-to-face, (right now we're fully online because of government restrictions on non-practical courses). I especially like seminars; I have both really enjoyed the ones I had last year and this one. You can also always email lecturers with queries or go to their office in their office hours. Some lecturers will even do 1-2-1 zoom sessions this year.

The Business Management cohort at Surrey is a big one but we’re divided into groups for on-campus lectures and seminars. Last year, we had lots of lectures in the biggest lecture theatre on campus and some on medium-sized theatres. We had most seminars in classroom-like rooms. This year, on the first semester we were divided into lots of small groups (20-30 people I’d say) for on-campus seminars and we were going into medium-sized lecture theatres with lots of space between everyone. To be totally honest, I think Surrey has taken a great approach to making on-campus teaching covid-safe as I felt really safe going into seminars. They maintain safety distance and there is sanitizer at building entries and wipes for tables.

Surrey graduates are highly employable. You can find more info about that here. You can take a placement as part of your degree and Surrey has its own site just for that (Surrey Pathfinder). You can book appointments to check your CV or Cover Letter, or even to speak with a career advisor. You can email them or ask for an online or on-campus face-to-face. Surrey Pathfinder has lots of businesses advertising placements, which makes it really useful.

I hope that’s been useful! Good luck! I really hope you can change your course, and maybe even join us at Surrey! If you can't change it now, remember to apply through Clearing!

If you have any questions, please ask.

Elena, Business Management rep.
(edited 3 years ago)
thank you so much!
saf <3

I believe you can only change your course choices within the two week "cooling off" period after you apply. If that has passed, your main options would be:

a) to contact any universities you hold offers for and ask if they would consider you for the other course

b) look to apply through UCAS Extra if you have no offers, or wait until results day and apply through UCAS Adjustment or Clearing (as for clearing at least it's possible to apply to different courses, and universities will usually just ask you send them an alternate PS directly when you speak to them on the clearing line).

c) There is also the option of taking a gap year and reapplying.

So there are options, but they might involve some additional hoops to jump through. Also another option not listed above, if you haven't yet used all your UCAS choices, is to contact unis to ask if they are still considering applications for the new course, and explain that you already applied to a different course but had a change of heart and were hoping to apply to their course still. If they are still considering applications after the deadline (many unis do!), they may be happy for you to apply, although as above they might ask for you to send them an alternate personal statement for the new course via email or similar.

Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep

This was barely relevant and 90% of it was shameless self-advertising which was non-constructive and off-topic. Do better.
Reply 3
thank you so much for your response! i will definitely be looking into surrey uni :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
I believe you can only change your course choices within the two week "cooling off" period after you apply. If that has passed, your main options would be:

a) to contact any universities you hold offers for and ask if they would consider you for the other course

b) look to apply through UCAS Extra if you have no offers, or wait until results day and apply through UCAS Adjustment or Clearing (as for clearing at least it's possible to apply to different courses, and universities will usually just ask you send them an alternate PS directly when you speak to them on the clearing line).

c) There is also the option of taking a gap year and reapplying.

So there are options, but they might involve some additional hoops to jump through. Also another option not listed above, if you haven't yet used all your UCAS choices, is to contact unis to ask if they are still considering applications for the new course, and explain that you already applied to a different course but had a change of heart and were hoping to apply to their course still. If they are still considering applications after the deadline (many unis do!), they may be happy for you to apply, although as above they might ask for you to send them an alternate personal statement for the new course via email or similar.

This was barely relevant and 90% of it was shameless self-advertising which was non-constructive and off-topic. Do better.

thank you so much! this was certainly more in deoth and gave me a better scope at the whole situation and how to tackle it.i think my best bet is through clearing/adjustment to be honest. quick question again sorry, if i choose to withdraw from any offers that have been made, will i be allowed to go through ucas extra? thank you in advance :smile:
thank you so much! this was certainly more in deoth and gave me a better scope at the whole situation and how to tackle it.i think my best bet is through clearing/adjustment to be honest. quick question again sorry, if i choose to withdraw from any offers that have been made, will i be allowed to go through ucas extra? thank you in advance :smile:

My impression was just not holding any offers is sufficient to go into UCAS extra, and it doesn't matter how you ended up in that situation, but there might be additional requirements - I'm honestly not too sure :redface:

@PQ is the UCAS wizard and might know more about requirements for using extra? :colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
My impression was just not holding any offers is sufficient to go into UCAS extra, and it doesn't matter how you ended up in that situation, but there might be additional requirements - I'm honestly not too sure :redface:

@PQ is the UCAS wizard and might know more about requirements for using extra? :colondollar:

ahh okay, no worries. i really appreciate all the advice though!
@PQ hii i'd really love if you could possibly let me know of any additional requirements for Extra, thanks :smile:
You can use Extra if you decline your offers or withdraw from any outstanding choices.

Before using extra it’s worth contacting your universities if you like them and asking to switch course at those universities.
Reply 8
thank you so much!
saf <3

Some unis let you change course over the phone , I changed from business to marketing at Trent one my friends changed from biology to law at leeds so try and call the uni you’ve applied to and ask to change they may let you x
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
You can use Extra if you decline your offers or withdraw from any outstanding choices.

Before using extra it’s worth contacting your universities if you like them and asking to switch course at those universities.

okay thats great, thank you :smile:
Original post by Tashax2
Some unis let you change course over the phone , I changed from business to marketing at Trent one my friends changed from biology to law at leeds so try and call the uni you’ve applied to and ask to change they may let you x

oh thats really great, thank you ill defo be doing this!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest