Keele Student Ambassador1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Iman Warsame)
for the past few years I have been studying at an Indian school outside of the UK and now that I'm that I'm close to graduating school I'm confused on how I can apply to universities in the UK .I am a British citizen and I have scored a 90% in my grade 10 CBSE exams. I want to apply for medicine at the following universities ;- Keele University -Anglia Ruskin-Kings collage London -St George university basically what I'm tryna say is do theses Unis accept CBSE , do I have to pay internationals fee , if they do accept CBSE what are my other requirements and when should I apply ?
Hi Iman Warsame! So glad to see that you are considering Keele!

I can see that your question about the entry requirements have been answered in a previous response. I just wanted to jump in to let you know that you can find information about the tuition fee status on here- https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Informatio...tus#layer-6084
As for your question on the application deadline, it looks like the School of Medicine has not confirmed when the application deadline for 2022 entry would be. However I would recommend keeping an eye on the Keele webpage for updates- https://www.keele.ac.uk/medicine/und...sions-overview

I hope I have answered your questions. If you have any other questions about Keele, please don't hesitate to ask me on here
Iman Warsame
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Keele Student Ambassador1)
Hi Iman Warsame! So glad to see that you are considering Keele!

I can see that your question about the entry requirements have been answered in a previous response. I just wanted to jump in to let you know that you can find information about the tuition fee status on here- https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Informatio...tus#layer-6084
As for your question on the application deadline, it looks like the School of Medicine has not confirmed when the application deadline for 2022 entry would be. However I would recommend keeping an eye on the Keele webpage for updates- https://www.keele.ac.uk/medicine/und...sions-overview

I hope I have answered your questions. If you have any other questions about Keele, please don't hesitate to ask me on here
Thank you so much .. this means a lot ❤️❤️
Iman Warsame
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you so much ., this means a lot❤️
Keele Student Ambassador1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Iman Warsame)
Thank you so much .. this means a lot ❤️❤️
Not a problem at all! If you have any other questions regarding Keele, please don't hesitate to ask me on here!
username5715801
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Is cbse grading recognised in uk universities for undergrad studies in medicine right now if i want to apply for 2022 class? i.e sending my application to UCAS this year by 15th october 2021

Please advise and thanks in advance!
username5715801
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Is cbse grading recognised in uk universities for undergrad studies in medicine right now if i want to apply for 2022 class? i.e sending my application to UCAS this year by 15th october 2021

qwert7890
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Eka Narayan)

Yes most medical schools should accept CBSE qualifications barring a few (ex. UCL).
username5715801
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by qwert7890)
Yes most medical schools should accept CBSE qualifications barring a few (ex. UCL).
Thanks a lot! This was a great help!
Lostguy001
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I didn’t get any offers last year - Which colleges should I look at which are relatively easier to get in? I realise this is a broad question but which universities would be considered “safety schools”.
qwert7890
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lostguy001)
I didn’t get any offers last year - Which colleges should I look at which are relatively easier to get in? I realise this is a broad question but which universities would be considered “safety schools”.
'safety schools' depend on your strengths and weaknesses. If you have a high UCAT but low GCSE score it would be foolish to apply to Cardiff, but then Bristol can become your 'safety school' since you'll almost be guaranteed an interview.

so post your stats in the "ultimate am I good enough for medicine angst thread" and they will tell you what's good for you. Of course a large part of this depends on your UCAT / BMAT scores.

Edit: You can't tell of 'safety schools' by competition ratios. For example, Bristol has an applicant: offer ratio of almost 16:1 for internationals, but with a high UCAT (+2870 this year) at interview, the applicant : offer ratio is 2.5 : 1 which I would say is 'safe'.
Last edited by qwert7890; 5 months ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lostguy001)
There is no "easy" way into medicine, especially for international students! Expect that competition ratios are several times higher than home students.

There is definitely no "safety med school" - if so, everyone will apply to them and it'll be no longer a "safety" school next year!

The only way you can increase your chances is to apply strategically.
a.dsouza1_
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Does getting a degree from Northumbria allow you to become a registered doctor in the uk even though it is not gmc approved?

Thank you so much in advance
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by a.dsouza1_)
Does getting a degree from Northumbria allow you to become a registered doctor in the uk even though it is not gmc approved?

Thank you so much in advance
Yes, you can but it's designed for student wanting to practise in North America, I believe.

You'd have to take the UKMLA (but all UK grads from 2023 have to do it).
bhvikm_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey people,
I need some help.
I am currently in grade X in India (or year 11 as you say in the UK).
I think I am academically and otherwise a good student if I say so myself.
I got 94.3 percent last year in grade IX, and I've been doing several reputed courses, national competitions, international competitions etcetera. (my portfolio: bhvikm.weebly.com) (I am NOT a good designer for portfolios lol)
I also shall be doing APs soon (which is a requirement along with CBSE for Cambridge)
I can only apply to 4 unis, which I have thought of are- Cambridge, KCL, Edinburgh/QueenMary, Birmingham/Nottingham. So, the help I need is basically to identify if I am 'good enough' for these unis, and if not, how do I get better? Any personal experiences as a med student-international, in the UK. I really, really wish to study medicine, and specifically in the UK. Thanks.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by bhvikm_)
Hey people,
I need some help.
I got 94.3 percent last year in grade IX, and I've been doing several reputed courses, national competitions, international competitions etcetera. (my portfolio: bhvikm.weebly.com) (I am NOT a good designer for portfolios lol)
I also shall be doing APs soon (which is a requirement along with CBSE for Cambridge)
I can only apply to 4 unis, which I have thought of are- Cambridge, KCL, Edinburgh/QueenMary, Birmingham/Nottingham. So, the help I need is basically to identify if I am 'good enough' for these unis, and if not, how do I get better? Any personal experiences as a med student-international, in the UK. I really, really wish to study medicine, and specifically in the UK. Thanks.
qwert7890 is the resident expert with CBSE exams so they can answer your question.
bhvikm_
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
qwert7890 is the resident expert with CBSE exams so they can answer your question.
Thanks! I shall appreciate it.
qwert7890
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey people,
I need some help.
Hey!

Firstly, I checked out your portfolio and might I say it was pretty impressive!!

For most medical schools in the UK, however, your extra curricular activities are far less important than your academic grades (more specifically your Grade X scores, your Grade XII predicteds, and your scores on admissions tests - the UCAT or BMAT).

Cambridge in particular, would care very little about your extra curricular interests - however they would be interested in your supra curricular interests (which could be some research / medicine related activity). They would also care more about your BMAT scores (which need to be very high to gain an offer), and your past academic record. As you know, CBSE is deemed slightly less competitive and thus puts you at a disadvantage here.

KCL would score you on the basis of GCSE results and your UCAT score. Since you don’t have GCSE results but CBSE Grade X qualifications, this might put you at a disadvantage - because it might mean that they will require a higher UCAT score from you in order to be selected for interview. Anecdotally, someone who scored in the 94 percentile, had scored 97% in Grade X and predicted 94% in Grade XII was rejected... For those with no GCSEs, they tend to need a higher UCAT score from you.

I’m not entirely sure of the selection process for the other universities but will get back to you.

but my point being that you being “good enough” will depend on what the university uses in their selection process. Hopefully it’s more evident now that your extra curriculars (while important to mention in PS) will have little bearing in your selection for interview.

also, just to add, you can send off only one LOR (called the reference in the UK) via UCAS. This is often provided by a teacher who knows you well (usually in a relevant subject such as Biology / Chemistry, especially for Cambridge) who can comment on your academic qualities, your personal qualities / extra curriculars and your motivation for Medicine.

Even in your PS, you should focus more on your motivation for medicine and exploration for the same (such as Work Experience), and use your extra curriculars to demonstrate your qualities (leadership, teamwork, etc.).
Last edited by qwert7890; 5 months ago
bhvikm_
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by qwert7890)
Hey!

Firstly, I checked out your portfolio and might I say it was pretty impressive!!

For most medical schools in the UK, however, your extra curricular activities are far less important than your academic grades (more specifically your Grade X scores, your Grade XII predicteds, and your scores on admissions tests - the UCAT or BMAT).

Cambridge in particular, would care very little about your extra curricular interests - however they would be interested in your supra curricular interests (which could be some research / medicine related activity). They would also care more about your BMAT scores (which need to be very high to gain an offer), and your past academic record. As you know, CBSE is deemed slightly less competitive and thus puts you at a disadvantage here.

KCL would score you on the basis of GCSE results and your UCAT score. Since you don’t have GCSE results but CBSE Grade X qualifications, this might put you at a disadvantage - because it might mean that they will require a higher UCAT score from you in order to be selected for interview. Anecdotally, someone who scored in the 94 percentile, had scored 97% in Grade X and predicted 94% in Grade XII was rejected... For those with no GCSEs, they tend to need a higher UCAT score from you.

I’m not entirely sure of the selection process for the other universities but will get back to you.

but my point being that you being “good enough” will depend on what the university uses in their selection process. Hopefully it’s more evident now that your extra curriculars (while important to mention in PS) will have little bearing in your selection for interview.

also, just to add, you can send off only one LOR (called the reference in the UK) via UCAS. This is often provided by a teacher who knows you well (usually in a relevant subject such as Biology / Chemistry, especially for Cambridge) who can comment on your academic qualities, your personal qualities / extra curriculars and your motivation for Medicine.

Even in your PS, you should focus more on your motivation for medicine and exploration for the same (such as Work Experience), and use your extra curriculars to demonstrate your qualities (leadership, teamwork, etc.).
Thank you so much. I appreciate it very much. I shall work harder for my BMAT and UCAT. I wish to apply to Cambridge, KCL, Edinburgh/Queen Mary, Birmingham/Nottingham. Which one would you say COULD potentially take me in? And I have started preparing for the admission tests early on, so I am making an educated guess that I should potentially get a nice score. Also, could you recommend me something for a 'backup', a university where I WOULD get in (a very high chance, if not a hundred percent)?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
...Also, could you recommend me something for a 'backup', a university where I WOULD get in (a very high chance, if not a hundred percent)?
I wish this med school exists... but think logically, if there's a med school that will take 100% of its international applicants, then the next year it would be super competitive wouldn't it?

All med schools are competitive, international students much more so (expect at least 2-3x compared to home students). Places like Oxford has a 70 applicant to 1 offer ratio, there's no chance even the lesser-known med schools are not competitive.

As long as you apply strategically, that's the only thing you can do to maximise your chances. There are no guarantees.
bhvikm_
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (53)
14.25%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.27%
I'm a bit unsure (66)
17.74%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.6%

Watched Threads