Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Because they don't need to. The Brits are ripped off at a $6/gallon whereas the Americans pay a princely sum of around $1.70. In the US there really is no need to drive around in a Fiat Uno.
    THIS is ignorance. This is the sum of my argument in one person. Jebus McChrist! I find it disgraceful that you can justify your utter waste of such a precious natural resource.

Vienna, this is what I was talking about ^^ It makes NO sense whatsoever and anyone who claims otherwise must surely have somesort of fantastic reasoning!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but the older I get the tougher I find it to swallow Grimms Fairy Tales.

"Next week's Jackanory features Gordon Brown who'll be telling us about the environment and what we can do to save it (pay more taxes) and reading us James and the Giant Peach"

Sorry, probably showing my age.......is Jackanory still a program?.........anybody know?
    lol, nah, came off the air years ago... I remember it *thinks about his childhood*

ReputationRep:
    It might not be insightful but it's true. I very much doubt the Brits could claim to be so holy if gas prices there were slashed by 75%. I dare say that the main reason that the Europeans drive smaller and more fuel efficient cars is because economically they have to.
    so its the low "gas" price that allows such monstrosities (sp?) as the H2 Hummer on the road ? And that raft of SUVs ? Urghhh....get the gas prices up now!! Citizens of the US unite and campaign to get gas prices up to drive the H2 off the roads!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaiJ)
    lol, nah, came off the air years ago... I remember it *thinks about his childhood*
    its a damn shame. i loved it. ballamory, whilst really a superironic paradory on something or other, whilst being postmodern and surrealist at the same time, just aint the same :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaiJ)
    It makes NO sense whatsoever and anyone who claims otherwise must surely have somesort of fantastic reasoning!!
    The nature of mankind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    . Well, I am one of those admirers of the environment. No one can deny that global warming is a myth, nor can they say we shouldn’t try t prevent it. In my opinion, the Kyoto Protocol is not enough. Although, an effort is being made by some nations, the U.S. doesn’t want to join because of the negative effect on the economy.

I notice the effects of global warming in my surroundings. Maybe you city dwellers should take a look at mother nature a little more often. I notice the dryer, warmer weather. Every year, in my area, we are breaking record high temperatures.

Near the north Pole, they are seeing daylight this time of year

Tundra is retreating north every year, and the Sahara desert is expanding

record drought last summer in B.C. and larger forest fires, that destroy thousands for the B.C. economy.

Ski hills arent recieving the large amount of snow as usual. This year at mount Cain, the hill isnt even open, only 78cm of snow.
    The Kyoto plan is meaningless. At least the US are honest enough to say "we can't/won't do it" which is a refreshing change from all the other signatory countries that signed it and then did nothing about it. From what I understand not a single nation has met their commitments under Kyoto.

ReputationRep:
    The Kyoto plan is meaningless. At least the US are honest enough to say "we can't/won't do it" which is a refreshing change from all the other signatory countries that signed it and then did nothing about it. From what I understand not a single nation has met their commitments under Kyoto.
    If that's true, i'm still in favour of those countries who signed it over the US because at least they signed up and committed to try and fix the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    so its the low "gas" price that allows such monstrosities (sp?) as the H2 Hummer on the road ? And that raft of SUVs ? Urghhh....get the gas prices up now!! Citizens of the US unite and campaign to get gas prices up to drive the H2 off the roads!! :rolleyes:
    Gas prices certainly influence peoples choice of vehicle. Do you think people in the US would be driving around in SUV's at $7 bucks a gallon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    If that's true, i'm still in favour of those countries who signed it over the US because at least they signed up and committed to try and fix the problem.
    It is true.

ReputationRep:
    Gas prices certainly influence peoples choice of vehicle. Do you think people in the US would be driving around in SUV's at $7 bucks a gallon? So, why the eye-rolling you moron?
    The roll eyes meant i don't really expect people to unite to push gas prices up.

ReputationRep:
    The EU countries that signed the Kyoto Protocol are actually well on target for reducing emissions- 2.9% down from 1990 at the moment- and you can't say they have failed anyway until 2010, which is the deadline for an 8% cut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trier)
    The EU countries that signed the Kyoto Protocol are actually well on target for reducing emissions- 2.9% down from 1990 at the moment- and you can't say they have failed anyway until 2010, which is the deadline for an 8% cut.
    14 and a bit years in they aren't even halfway there.....

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but still better than the US figure of having 14% higher emissions in 2000 than in 1990.

ReputationRep:
    what really got me over everything else was when one man at a hummer convention was being asked what he thought of small increases in gas prices, and he replied; "for christ's sake we OWN iraq now, so why cant Bush make the prices cheaper, its just ridiculous!!"

I was at a loss for words over this attitude...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trier)
    Yes, but still better than the US figure of having 14% higher emissions in 2000 than in 1990.
    agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    what really got me over everything else was when one man at a hummer convention was being asked what he thought of small increases in gas prices, and he replied; "for christ's sake we OWN iraq now, so why cant Bush make the prices cheaper, its just ridiculous!!"

I was at a loss for words over this attitude...
    somewhat typical of an american big business i feel

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought that considering oil reserves are drying up governments would be reducing consumption as much as possible so maybe keeping prices lowish for industry but higher for automobiles thus forcing people to have smaller cars.
    My boyf bought a 2litre mondeo a year back and I'm now making him sell it and get a smaller car (1.3) as its only us ever in it and it uses too much petrol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    I would have thought that considering oil reserves are drying up governments would be reducing consumption as much as possible so maybe keeping prices lowish for industry but higher for automobiles thus forcing people to have smaller cars.
    My boyf bought a 2litre mondeo a year back and I'm now making him sell it and get a smaller car (1.3) as its only us ever in it and it uses too much petrol!
    Why not buy one of those three wheel ******* cars (you used to see a lot of them a few years ago.......sort of like a Robin Reliant but made of plastic)? I bet they give excellent mileage (as long as looks aren't important and you don't mind travelling at 30mph)

ReputationRep:
    Why not buy one of those three wheel ******* cars (you used to see a lot of them a few years ago.......sort of like a Robin Reliant but made of plastic)? I bet they give excellent mileage (as long as looks aren't important and you don't mind travelling at 30mph)
    Nah I dont want to see him get attacked by scallies at the lights!

We're choosing between a focus and a golf at the mo. I would prefer to get a polo or corsa but they're girlie apparently and he's upset enough over the loss of the big car

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    Nah I dont want to see him get attacked by scallies at the lights!

We're choosing between a focus and a golf at the mo. I would prefer to get a polo or corsa but they're girlie apparently and he's upset enough over the loss of the big car
    Of course he's upset. I'd be upset. What man wants to be seen in a pastel shaded polo? Doesn't do much for the machismo does it? Poor bugger!

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.