Is it better to plan or be spontaneous in your lifestyle routine?

Watch
Redfrost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ive lately been thinking about whether the best way to live my lifestyle is to plan or be spontaneous. My 2 specific goals are in exercise and diet

I’m quite the ocd structured type and feel a lot better when everything is planned- all through lockdown I’ve been making lists of diets for the week (with some options included) so that I’m not going over my calorie intake.

Ive also planned a exercise regime.

However I’ve not stuck to any of these and have found that it’s reduced my enjoyment.

Ive thought that the benefits of being spontaneous/doing things when you feel like it are more enjoyment.

So I’m trying to get the balance right. Ive thought of trying to just plan my diet but being spontaneous with exercise - ie doing what I feel like and seeing how this goes.

I do feel much more comfortable with planning but if it’s not working..

What are your thoughts on this?
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There should be a healthy balance between both. You should plan enough so that you have a structured routine but not to the point that every day is mundane and bland leaving you bored, or to a point that you overwhelm yourself with the stress of trying to stick to an impossibly strict schedule.
An outline of your day could be as simple as wake up at 8, do work/school from 9-12, meals at x y and z time, and leave the rest of your day to be spontaneous while setting yourself basic goals of things to get done in that period.
In terms of meals and exercise you could set yourself a basic plan with options, while also throwing in a free day or two.
Last edited by Foxehh; 1 month ago
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A loose plan with backup options because I will tell you now you are going to have days where you just won't feel like doing the plan. As an example I myself have a fairly structured plan, with meals however I have the option to alter what I am going to eat as I don't always feel like cooking. With exercise 1 of the things I plan is to do a weighted work out once a week on a Wednesday evening but sometimes I just don't feel like it so will push it to Thursday instead.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
be spontaneous
elixirhtc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes definitely it's better to have better plan for the future but it's not very good for everyone it's might be changing due the passage of time..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (186)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (542)
14.64%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (411)
11.1%
Lack of purpose or motivation (509)
13.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (183)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
6%
Loneliness (312)
8.43%
Financial worries (136)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.92%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (210)
5.67%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (331)
8.94%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (347)
9.37%

Watched Threads