Are Narcissists psychopaths?

Watch
Diva11
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Been in contact with some narcs and I am still in shock with how they treat others and behave.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
no, they are narcissists
Diva11
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
What about sociopaths then?
SetethFlayn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Narcissists are their own category, I believe. I've seen articles describing the difference between them and socio/psychopaths so it's its own thing.
username5173262
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
no, psychopaths and sociopaths aren't real diagnostic words, but generally are used to describe people with ASPD (anti-social personality disorder, not autism). Different from narcissists
EconomicsStud3nt
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Narcissism is a personality trait or behaviour, whereas psychopathy or sociopath (can be interchangeable) are DSM listed (a psychiatric condition) which is know as Anti Social Personality Disorder.

Most of the time you wouldn't really notice who's a ASPD tbh. But keep safe I guess. They can be a pain up the back.
username4910484
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
People often jump too quickly to labeling people that behave in an unpleasant way towards them as 'narcissists'.
Not everyone ******* you meet in life has NPD/ traits of NPD.

NPD is a separate construct to psychopathy. Interestingly enough, psychopathy is not listed in either the DSM-5 or IDC-10.

The disorder known as ASPD shares some similarities with psychopathy, however they are not the same thing. The criteria for ASPD is based around deviant, impulsive and criminal behavior. Whilst some psychopaths would meet the criteria, many would not- not all psychopaths behave in such a way that deviates from social norms.

NPD and ASPD are considered to be highly comorbid.

People with NPD have NPD for a reason.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads