What year to apply for TC if doing the GDL?

Watch
rgwx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi,

I'm in my second year of undergrad right now, on a humanities degree. I am hoping to apply for Training Contracts that fund the GDL and then the LPC if they accept you. But what year do I need to apply in?

If I apply for the 2023 training contract, that will leave me to start my GDL in 2022, then start my LPC in 2023 before joining the firm. Does this mean I would need to apply for the 2024 training contracts?

Thanks!
h0pefulstudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What year are you due to graduate?
Generally when you apply to firms will depend on the firms in question - as a rule, non-law students will be applying in their final year, however some firms allow you to apply in penultimate year with a view to starting your training 3 years later. Even as things shift to the SQE rather than GDL and LPC, you will be looking to have a 2-year gap between graduating and starting the actual training contract. For some firms which do a accelerated LPC this might be reduced to 18 months, but if in doubt you can always get in touch and ask (as it's not always entirely clear!)
rgwx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thanks for the info! I am due to graduate in 2022, which I think would put me in the 2024 training contract intake.
Manclass98
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
A lot of firms now aren't looking to do the traditional TC's past 2023. You've got some time to think about the route you take, but my advice would be to look into the SQE route instead, as by the time you graduate, that'll be in full swing anyway. Also, the GDL requires you to pay for it yourself, unless you get funding via a firm which as I say, will be changing by then. Take a look at the MA Law that the University of Law provides. It has everything the GDL teaches, plus prep for the SQE and it's a qualification level higher than the GDL, too.
h0pefulstudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by rgwx)
Thanks for the info! I am due to graduate in 2022, which I think would put me in the 2024 training contract intake.
yeah 2024 is the right starting year then - I've also PMed you btw
17Student17
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you do not have a GDL place yet and are not reading law and don't have a TC by about summer 2021 I believe you will HAVE to be under the new SQE system. However I keep being very confused by the dates. This is from Freshfields:

"This year, we’re offering up to 80 two-year training contracts for intakes to our London office in spring and autumn 2023.
You can apply either directly for a training contract or, if you’re a penultimate-year undergraduate student, via a vacation scheme.
Apply directly for a training contract:
Winter training contract application window: 5 October 2020 to 7 January 2021
Who can apply:

final-year law and non-law students
law and non-law graduates

Summer training contract application window: 1 June to 15 July 2021
Who can apply:

penultimate and final-year undergraduate law students (UK law degree)
law graduates (UK law degree)
GDL graduates

For direct training contract applications, we will be holding interviews between March and August 2021."
Manclass98
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by 17Student17)
If you do not have a GDL place yet and are not reading law and don't have a TC by about summer 2021 I believe you will HAVE to be under the new SQE system. However I keep being very confused by the dates. This is from Freshfields:

"This year, we’re offering up to 80 two-year training contracts for intakes to our London office in spring and autumn 2023.
You can apply either directly for a training contract or, if you’re a penultimate-year undergraduate student, via a vacation scheme.
Apply directly for a training contract:
Winter training contract application window: 5 October 2020 to 7 January 2021
Who can apply:

final-year law and non-law students
law and non-law graduates

Summer training contract application window: 1 June to 15 July 2021
Who can apply:

penultimate and final-year undergraduate law students (UK law degree)
law graduates (UK law degree)
GDL graduates

For direct training contract applications, we will be holding interviews between March and August 2021."
Correct, the SQE route will commence as of this year and the providers of the courses with the SQE included will cease GDL applicants from next intake of 2022. It's yet to be made clear as to how the TC and vac scheme's will fall into it - but I always think its worth applying regardless!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads