A-levels - Chemistry, biology and psychology

Watch
MrLemonMan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi! I will be joining sixth form this year in September and I've already applied. I'm thinking about taking chemistry, biology and psychology. I don't know what exactly to expect from these subjects or how difficult they are or if they are good subjects to take that compliment each other well. If anyone who is taking these A levels already could offer any insight that would be great! Thank you.
Carm15796
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MrLemonMan)
Hi! I will be joining sixth form this year in September and I've already applied. I'm thinking about taking chemistry, biology and psychology. I don't know what exactly to expect from these subjects or how difficult they are or if they are good subjects to take that compliment each other well. If anyone who is taking these A levels already could offer any insight that would be great! Thank you.
Those are the exact A-Levels I take! They definitely complement each other quite nicely, especially biology and psychology as the content overlaps in some areas with my exam boards. And of course, chemistry and biology have some overlap too. I'd say chemistry and biology are the hardest - biology content is easy to grasp however there is a LOT of it, and with hard exam questions and specific mark schemes, however, I really enjoy it! Chemistry is probably the harder of the two, the content is tricky to understand but once you get it it feels really great. And lastly, psychology being the easiest for me - lots of content, more like a memory game than anything else (also my favourite subject hehe). I feel like you can go on to do so many things with these subjects, exactly why I chose them - you aren't excluded from medicine which is what I want to go for, and you've also got a lot of other options available like other sciences, pharmacology, psychology etc. If you have any questions about them let me know! This is just a very brief overview of how I find them
nerviodor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Chemistry(my fav subject)- lots of maths, equations and converting units. A lot of complex concepts to learn. You’ll be learning about organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, and biochemistry(biology compliments this part of chemistry and the chemistry you learn in biology is quite basic compared to A-level chemistry so you need to be careful not to oversimplify or overcomplicate answers to questions that overlap) and as with any other science a level you have required practicals(the fun part 😂). Some practicals are Assessed Practicals which will test your practical skills and is a component of the exam. These practicals are reported to the exam board by your teacher and it can be a pass or a fail( it’s really rare for people to fail these). One of the most challenging subjects but for me, it’s a 10/10.

Biology(not my fav subject)- lots of content, most of it is easy to understand but you do get some more complex topics. Mark schemes are really harsh. Focus on your exam technique. And again you’ll have required practicals. Less challenging than Chemistry in my opinion. Atm, I would rate it as a 4/10(probably because I’m not a big fan of the topic we’re studying).

Are you an aspiring medic/dentist/vet because lots of people who want to go down that route take the same A-Levels as what you’re thinking of taking.

Good luck
MrLemonMan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carm15796)
Those are the exact A-Levels I take! They definitely complement each other quite nicely, especially biology and psychology as the content overlaps in some areas with my exam boards. And of course, chemistry and biology have some overlap too. I'd say chemistry and biology are the hardest - biology content is easy to grasp however there is a LOT of it, and with hard exam questions and specific mark schemes, however, I really enjoy it! Chemistry is probably the harder of the two, the content is tricky to understand but once you get it it feels really great. And lastly, psychology being the easiest for me - lots of content, more like a memory game than anything else (also my favourite subject hehe). I feel like you can go on to do so many things with these subjects, exactly why I chose them - you aren't excluded from medicine which is what I want to go for, and you've also got a lot of other options available like other sciences, pharmacology, psychology etc. If you have any questions about them let me know! This is just a very brief overview of how I find them
Thank you so much! That was really useful, I am also looking to study medicine or pharmacology in future. Are there any other courses and jobs those A levels can lead to?
MrLemonMan
Rep:
?
(Original post by nerviodor)
Chemistry(my fav subject)- lots of maths, equations and converting units. A lot of complex concepts to learn. You’ll be learning about organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, and biochemistry(biology compliments this part of chemistry and the chemistry you learn in biology is quite basic compared to A-level chemistry so you need to be careful not to oversimplify or overcomplicate answers to questions that overlap) and as with any other science a level you have required practicals(the fun part 😂). Some practicals are Assessed Practicals which will test your practical skills and is a component of the exam. These practicals are reported to the exam board by your teacher and it can be a pass or a fail( it’s really rare for people to fail these). One of the most challenging subjects but for me, it’s a 10/10.

Biology(not my fav subject)- lots of content, most of it is easy to understand but you do get some more complex topics. Mark schemes are really harsh. Focus on your exam technique. And again you’ll have required practicals. Less challenging than Chemistry in my opinion. Atm, I would rate it as a 4/10(probably because I’m not a big fan of the topic we’re studying).

Are you an aspiring medic/dentist/vet because lots of people who want to go down that route take the same A-Levels as what you’re thinking of taking.

Good luck
Thank you! I am looking to study perhaps pharmacology at university and potentially become a medic or work in drug development and discovery, I am still trying to narrow it down but those are my ideas at the moment.
Carm15796
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MrLemonMan)
Thank you so much! That was really useful, I am also looking to study medicine or pharmacology in future. Are there any other courses and jobs those A levels can lead to?
Pharmacology seems really good tbh, as for what else - there are definitely a wide range of options you could go for, even law which might seem random but its an option! Theres stuff like optometry, veterinary medicine, all sorts of stuff like biomedical sciences, biochemistry (working in labs). Have a google, there's a load of websites where you can put your a level options in and see what courses and jobs are available to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.21%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.03%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.03%
I need help with my personal statement (68)
42.77%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (38)
23.9%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.89%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
8.18%

Watched Threads