The Student Room Group

DSA & MacBooks

Hi there, I know this has been asked a few times on here, but there's never been much response from people who have actually received DSA.

I'm severely visually impaired...

I really, really struggle with windows. From the extra clutter to the (to me) confusing start menu and buttons. I find it really hard to navigate. I've tried a few times but I can never grasp it.

I've been using an old MacBook Pro (a 2009 one) that is my mothers that I've been taking to college with me to make notes on. My teachers allow me to take pictures of class notes so I can look at them later, and I can just airdrop these to my mac from my phone. I also know how to use all the little shortcuts and have a lot of accessibility features turned on. Theres a lot of reasons why I love the computer I have...

The only issue is, I doesn't hold a charge any more, and It's slow as heck, let alone that it's not even mine...

My course is also computer science which I'm aware uses UNIX a lot (I start next year and I've been researching a lot) (the mac runs on UNIX)

So I know it's expensive and I know that there may be a lot of people here claiming that 'I want a macbook just for status' or whatever, but I'm from a household with very low income etc. but I'd rather not go into detail.

Like I say, this MacBook is super old, but there are a lot of features on it, which I find extremely useful, as well as after trying out one of my friends MacBooks (the new one), there'sa even more features which appear to be of use to me compared to windows.

What is the likelihood of getting a MacBook Pro 16 inch through DSA. (Yes, I said pro because I need the bigger screen and that's a genuine issue I have with phones and such, I can barely use them)

If anyone has got one in the past, please let me know, and if anyone has just been accepted, was it an easy process, is there anything i should mention other than the issues I have with Windows (I have made a list in prep for next weeks assessment)

Thanks
Original post by Bailey_ja
Hi there, I know this has been asked a few times on here, but there's never been much response from people who have actually received DSA.

I'm severely visually impaired...

I really, really struggle with windows. From the extra clutter to the (to me) confusing start menu and buttons. I find it really hard to navigate. I've tried a few times but I can never grasp it.

I've been using an old MacBook Pro (a 2009 one) that is my mothers that I've been taking to college with me to make notes on. My teachers allow me to take pictures of class notes so I can look at them later, and I can just airdrop these to my mac from my phone. I also know how to use all the little shortcuts and have a lot of accessibility features turned on. Theres a lot of reasons why I love the computer I have...

The only issue is, I doesn't hold a charge any more, and It's slow as heck, let alone that it's not even mine...

My course is also computer science which I'm aware uses UNIX a lot (I start next year and I've been researching a lot) (the mac runs on UNIX)

So I know it's expensive and I know that there may be a lot of people here claiming that 'I want a macbook just for status' or whatever, but I'm from a household with very low income etc. but I'd rather not go into detail.

Like I say, this MacBook is super old, but there are a lot of features on it, which I find extremely useful, as well as after trying out one of my friends MacBooks (the new one), there'sa even more features which appear to be of use to me compared to windows.

What is the likelihood of getting a MacBook Pro 16 inch through DSA. (Yes, I said pro because I need the bigger screen and that's a genuine issue I have with phones and such, I can barely use them)

If anyone has got one in the past, please let me know, and if anyone has just been accepted, was it an easy process, is there anything i should mention other than the issues I have with Windows (I have made a list in prep for next weeks assessment)

Thanks

You will likely have the opportunity to upgrade to a Mac through whatever supplier DSA directs you to, but the odds of you getting a £2,400 computer without making a substantial contribution yourself are practically zero.
Reply 2
Do you know how much I can expect to get towards it? Or whether I can do something like offset the payment until i get my maintenance loan, something like that? Or can I wait to buy the computer until after I receive my maintenance loan for the first trimester?
Do you know how much I can expect to get towards it? Or whether I can do something like offset the payment until i get my maintenance loan, something like that? Or can I wait to buy the computer until after I receive my maintenance loan for the first trimester?

From the DSA suppliers who make their upgrade prices public rather than needing to inquire via email, the cheapest I could see was £1510 which I don't think includes the base £200 contribution. I'm not aware of the payment options unfortunately.

https://www.iansyst.co.uk/product/apple-macbook-pro-16-i7/
Reply 4
Sorry for another question. Do you think It may be possible to get a further discount considering i REQUIRE a larger screen because of my visual impairment? Ort do you think they wouldn't be lenient with this?
Sorry for another question. Do you think It may be possible to get a further discount considering i REQUIRE a larger screen because of my visual impairment? Ort do you think they wouldn't be lenient with this?

Lenient only goes so far when the cheapest possible option you're asking for is well north of two grand. This is something you'd have to discuss with your DSA assessor.
i have a similar issue i need a macbook for my masters course which i have jus stared and need the bigger screen because i have an eye condition. I am going though the process at the moment but have been told i would have to pay to upgrade from anywhere between £400-£1800. I will post again when i know the exact amount how that helps
Hi I am doing my masters and also have visual issue as well as other conditions.The bottom line is that DSA will not cover the whole cost of a new MacBook Pro 16 inch and you won’t get a discount because you need a larger screen either. You will have to pay the difference between the windows laptop DSA would give you and the MacBook Pro 16 that you choose. It my case where I have multiple different conditions I choose to upgrade to the New MacBook Pro 16 inch (2021 model) with 1 TB is storage. The cost to upgrade was just over £1600. I was offered the same model with 512GB of storage which was £1500. These prices are not the exact prices but the ball part figure. These prices are really good as normal MacBook Pro’s are between £2000-£3000. Please also note that the DSA supplier get the MacBook Pro at Apple education prices and there is not VAT to pay either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending