Apple macbook or iPad in 2021 for uni?

Watch this thread
MeForPm
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Sooo after seeing the new apple ipad with which you can take notes as well as doing your essays and your research and the casual netflix/youtube, would you still choose an ipad over macbook for your uni. The cost with the magic pen and keyboard comes to the same as a macbook air.
Have you bought any of the one and if so, then why did you choose one over the other?
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
It depends what course you’re doing. I have both and you could probably get away with using the iPad with the Apple Pencil and floating keyboard. It can do pretty much everything a computer can do. If you’re not super techie, I would definitely go for the iPad.
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Nope, as good as the ecosystem gets, the cramped keyboard attachments available for the iPad line are still far less suited to student life with regular long essay-based assignment for multiple years with a dissertation to finish things off. The only one I'd be comfortable recommending for that would be the 12.9" iPad Pro and with Magic Keyboard attachment, and that combination is over £1300 for the 128GB model, pricier than either the 512GB Air or 256GB Pro. It also doesn't help that the move to ARM processors means that a lot of the advantages of the iPad like obscene power efficiency and fanless operation have been supplanted in a full desktop operating system with way more power, that can also now run iOS apps natively.

If you really wanted a tablet device and also a primary computer, that hypothetical £1300 budget would, in my opinion, be far better spend on the 256GB M1 MacBook Air and a baseline iPad. The vanilla iPad now has Apple Pencil support for an excellent notetaking experience, has more than enough power and longevity for use as a general purpose tablet, and Apple's excellent synergy between devices in their ecosystem means syncing and accessing notes across multiple devices is always seamless. The romantic image of a do-all iPad with cover and stylus is nice, but unless you're springing for the top options, it really is a system that is less than the sum of its parts compared to two separate devices.
MeForPm
Rep:
(Original post by 982761834)
It depends what course you’re doing. I have both and you could probably get away with using the iPad with the Apple Pencil and floating keyboard. It can do pretty much everything a computer can do. If you’re not super techie, I would definitely go for the iPad.
Yeah im not doing any art sort of subjects. Just a science subject with lots of essay writing
MeForPm
Rep:
I just seen lots of, if not all top youtubers recommending an iPad over the macbook. I was initially planning to buy a macbook air M1 since its the best laptop that came out this year. My course is very much related to medicine so I am not fussy if my device has lots of artistic features. I just want a good and efficient device with which i can do my essay-writing and revision easily. I feel like with an iPad I might be tempted to use social media a lot instead of just revising. The whole £119 for a pencil and £229 for a keyboard and then extra for a cover that totals up to £1300 vs the payment of £999 for a macbook air is kind of absurd.
And then pulling out and setting the whole set up is sort of idk, a bit extra vs just flipping up the lid of your macbook and getting on with work

I am open to views tho guys so feel free to educate me
username4926198
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MeForPm)
Sooo after seeing the new apple ipad with which you can take notes as well as doing your essays and your research and the casual netflix/youtube, would you still choose an ipad over macbook for your uni. The cost with the magic pen and keyboard comes to the same as a macbook air.
Have you bought any of the one and if so, then why did you choose one over the other?
I'm in the same kind of dilemma as you. I already own a hp laptop but it's much heavier than an macbook air. I think the ipad is more economical and good for travelling. My cousin recommended an ipad and said she regretted buying a macbook when seeing the various ways an ipad could be used.
Bexjw
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Very similar position earlier. My old windows laptop isn’t fit for purpose so needed to upgrade. Split decision between the iPad and MacBook.

In the end I decided on the MacBook. Most of my work will be typing and I like having everything in one. Buying a keyboard and pencil for an iPad seemed a bit excessive when I could have it all in one from the MacBook.

I’ve also heard that MacBooks are very reliable and last well for years, unlike a Windows laptop.

I might invest in the iPad at a later date but if you’re not planning on drawing or using a touchscreen, then the MacBook does everything.

Personally, I think it was the right decision. I also like having a webcam that I don’t have to balance/ use a tripod for.
username612415
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I just seen lots of, if not all top youtubers recommending an iPad over the macbook. I was initially planning to buy a macbook air M1 since its the best laptop that came out this year. My course is very much related to medicine so I am not fussy if my device has lots of artistic features. I just want a good and efficient device with which i can do my essay-writing and revision easily. I feel like with an iPad I might be tempted to use social media a lot instead of just revising. The whole £119 for a pencil and £229 for a keyboard and then extra for a cover that totals up to £1300 vs the payment of £999 for a macbook air is kind of absurd.
And then pulling out and setting the whole set up is sort of idk, a bit extra vs just flipping up the lid of your macbook and getting on with work

I am open to views tho guys so feel free to educate me
I'm not going to go bother going through a bunch of channels to check that, but I know for a fact that the two largerst "proper" Tech YouTubers, MKBHD and Linus, both explicitly favour laptops over Magic Keyboard equipped iPads, and that was before the M1 tranisition. And most YouTubers will be looking at them in the context of a general consumer standpoint, not a student that's likely to be writing multiple 3000+ word essays each year, a use-case that drastically favours a traditional laptop.
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yeah im not doing any art sort of subjects. Just a science subject with lots of essay writing
I’d go for the iPad then. Much more versatile.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I just seen lots of, if not all top youtubers recommending an iPad over the macbook.
The vast majority of youtubers don't have a clue when it comes to IT buying advice.

That includes MKBHD, who is predominantly a phone infomercial guy.
And Linus, who is a shop technician that makes predominantly infomercial videos - with a strong bias towards "Hey, buy this latest thing that shops are selling". He's such an amateur that he doesn't even take ESD precautions when working on the insides of computers. :naughty:

For your needs, as described in the opening post, a used Macbook with an SSD would be fine.
Or if you were willing to run Windows or Linux, a used premium business laptop with an SSD would be a great choice too.
username5472528
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
If I'm going to be honest, buy a decent Macbook, with a baseline iPad. You'll have the power of a laptop but the versatility of an iPad as well. The iPad will be around £300ish, but I'd recommend you pay more for storage since 32GB isn't enough imo. It will be around £500 with the apple pencil, which is what I presume you're going for. You don't really need big screens for iPad's, like its nice, but not a necessity- I've been using my 2018 9.7 inch for 3 years now and its served me well. Most typing and files related stuff can work on the Macbook, the air with the M1 chip seems alright. Overall, it will cost around £1500, and you'll have everything you're looking for.

With a student discount, you'll pay even less.
Mrssomers
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I’m an absolute tech dinosaur, but here’s my personal experience for what it’s worth.

I replaced my 27” Mac for an iPad Pro 11 with magic keyboard, thinking that the desktop was way over the top for my needs and that the iPad would be a good all rounder.
I was wrong. Don’t do it. It’s a mobile device predominantly and at times it is so infuriating because the functionality of apps is often much less than desktop versions, and this thing just constantly loops you back to apps - because it’s a mobile device.
I’ll now be buying a MacBook for September to add to my ever growing collection of Apple devices 🙄
MeForPm
Rep:
yeah. I was quite skeptical about this 'choose iPad over the macbook'. But I am glad that macbook is the better option. I just feel like I have always used iPad for entertainment and stuff, so i wouldn't be really motivated to grab it and do work as I would be on a laptop/PC.

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (40)
32%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (57)
45.6%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (27)
21.6%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.8%

Watched Threads