The Student Room Group

STEP Question Help

Hello,
I’m doing this question:
2FDB0E1D-5CA6-46B9-B42D-4A3EDA55E9DC.jpg.jpeg
I’ve proved the first part through induction, I’ve shown the second part correct it’s the final part that’s giving me trouble:
I’ve first differentiated star WRT theta on the LHS and then applied the double angle formula for cos2A = 1-2sin^2(A/2)
And rearranged for the required summation, it’s then when I differentiate the LHS and simplify where I run into error, I check a value of n=3 (or something) and see that my solution isn’t correct like they want, it’s a bit off almost like I’m missing a term or something, I’m confident I differentiated correctly but I’m unsure where my mistake is, any help is appreciated:
My workings:
69F8817A-F980-48EF-AF18-A219940D562E.jpg.jpeg
This is where I applied the double angle formula,
DAB193B9-6170-4EF8-9B8E-99B559547C43.jpg.jpeg
This is the full manipulation process, where T is the required summation
Can you check this is what you meant to upload? It feels like there's a lot missing.

Also: why don't you just check the given solution (it's clearly from one of the Siklos booklets)?
Reply 2
Original post by DFranklin
Can you check this is what you meant to upload? It feels like there's a lot missing.

Also: why don't you just check the given solution (it's clearly from one of the Siklos booklets)?

Sorry, let me make it all clear, I have left the working for the first 2 parts to save space, my workings for the final part are:
3BA08891-4756-4289-A08C-F81DC32D0D04.jpg.jpeg

Siklos’ solution uses a simplified differentiation, he simplified the expression first then differentiates, I’m just doing it how I would first do it when I saw the question as shown in my working above, it’s that I cannot see what I did wrong and I therefore can’t see how I progress to the answer they are looking for.
In your first step of diffing the RHS of (*) you seem to have done ddθf(θ)g(θ)=dfdθdgdθ\dfrac{d}{d\theta} \dfrac{f(\theta)}{g(\theta)} = \dfrac{\frac{df}{d\theta}}{\frac{dg}{d\theta}}

instead of the correct

ddθf(θ)g(θ)=gdfdθfdgdθg2\dfrac{d}{d\theta} \dfrac{f(\theta)}{g(\theta)} = \dfrac{g \frac{df}{d\theta} - f \frac{dg}{d\theta}}{g^2}
Reply 4
In your first step of diffing the RHS of (*) you seem to have done ddθf(θ)g(θ)=dfdθdgdθ\dfrac{d}{d\theta} \dfrac{f(\theta)}{g(\theta)} = \dfrac{\frac{df}{d\theta}}{\frac{dg}{d\theta}}

instead of the correct

ddθf(θ)g(θ)=gdfdθfdgdθg2\dfrac{d}{d\theta} \dfrac{f(\theta)}{g(\theta)} = \dfrac{g \frac{df}{d\theta} - f \frac{dg}{d\theta}}{g^2}

Goodness me, I have no idea what I was thinking there, let me have another crack by actually applying the basic differentiation technique
Reply 5

instead of the correct

Okay I did the following:
4982F699-BB91-4E8B-9D32-FCE319855B71.jpg.jpeg
I can appreciate the simplification needed now, however, what I see is I get similar to the answer they want but the term in n doesn’t seem to product a factor that simplifies, also at the line marked with the asterisk, what if I distribute the sin^2 across the bracket and then again apply the sin^2 + cos^2 to reduce it, this will leave me a sin^2 on the top and bottom and remove the cot^2 all together... leaving a cosec^2 only
What you've posted is on the border line of legibility for me (not your fault, TSR doesn't let you post very detailed images), and I really don't have the time/inclination to scour it looking for an error.

What I'd say to you is to just keep checking and looking for errors. This is what my generation had to do all the time trying to answer STEP questions without the internet, and it's good practice.

Problems like these, (especially when you've tried once and got stuck), it's important to be very careful and methodical, checking each step before going on to the next.
Reply 7

instead of the correct

In fact much simpler, is realising that it becomes cot(theta/2) by part (i) and then differentiating becomes -1/2cosec^2(pi/2n) then applying 1 + cot^2 = cosec^2 but I reach this:
833B23CC-0813-4B95-9626-2FE620E57F9D.jpg.jpeg
I’m missing an n to factorise the numerator in the first term on the last line..
Original post by BrandonS15
Okay I did the following:
4982F699-BB91-4E8B-9D32-FCE319855B71.jpg.jpeg
I can appreciate the simplification needed now, however, what I see is I get similar to the answer they want but the term in n doesn’t seem to product a factor that simplifies, also at the line marked with the asterisk, what if I distribute the sin^2 across the bracket and then again apply the sin^2 + cos^2 to reduce it, this will leave me a sin^2 on the top and bottom and remove the cot^2 all together... leaving a cosec^2 only

So, I'm not sure I'm following your work properly, but from your end point if you add 1/4 to both sides you can replace (2n+1)/4 on the LHS with (n+1)/2 which will combine the other term to give you (n+1)^2/2 which looks close to what you need once you divide through by 2.
Reply 9
So, I'm not sure I'm following your work properly, but from your end point if you add 1/4 to both sides you can replace (2n+1)/4 on the LHS with (n+1)/2 which will combine the other term to give you (n+1)^2/2 which looks close to what you need once you divide through by 2.

Yes! That seems to do it, but now I’ve found this more simplified method (which basically just uses the second part to simplify the differentiation):
8B3052F9-3DD4-4239-8F89-68A0077DAAC6.jpg.jpeg
But now I can’t see where this goes, it’s missing an “n” term to factor the LHS
Edit: I think I know why, reassure me if I'm correct or correct me otherwise but does the result I begun with only hold for theta=pi/n but then I'm thinking if this is true, I can only substitute pi/n later on which is what I do..
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by BrandonS15
Yes! That seems to do it, but now I’ve found this more simplified method (which basically just uses the second part to simplify the differentiation):
8B3052F9-3DD4-4239-8F89-68A0077DAAC6.jpg.jpeg
But now I can’t see where this goes, it’s missing an “n” term to factor the LHS
Edit: I think I know why, reassure me if I'm correct or correct me otherwise but does the result I begun with only hold for theta=pi/n but then I'm thinking if this is true, I can only substitute pi/n later on which is what I do..

If a result only holds for "theta = pi/n" then you can't differentiate it and expect to get the right answer even at theta = pi/n.

E.g. sin nx = 0 only holds for theta = pi/n,

Differentiating to deduce cos nx = 0 is false at theta = pi/n.
If a result only holds for "theta = pi/n" then you can't differentiate it and expect to get the right answer even at theta = pi/n.

E.g. sin nx = 0 only holds for theta = pi/n,

Differentiating to deduce cos nx = 0 is false at theta = pi/n.

I see, that clears that up, thank you very much for being patient with me I appreciate it and I now understand this question

Quick Reply

Latest