Soliloquy help!

Watch this thread
lemonadetea
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi! I’m writing an essay on Hamlet (act 3 scene 3) and am trying to write a little bit on why Shakespeare uses soliloquy and the effect of it! I’m really struggling with it so any advice is appreciated
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Focus on what the meaning of soliloquy is. Provide examples etc that describe it properly.
RetroSPECT3.0
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I havent studied Hamlet but I'm doing Macbeth and it has its share of soliloquys. Some general inferences of them is that they are generally written in blank verse.
It tends to follow a speaker's natural rhythm (so no rhyme) and it generally conveys the character's heightened emotions/their true feelings- again, I' not sure about Hamlet, but this could reflect internal conflict, doubt, concern, anxiety, happiness, etc.
And in the exams, you could talk about how the emotions/feelings were portrayed in the soliloquy and then compare them with how that character presented their feelings in other stages of the play, or in front of other people and explore the 'expectation vs reality' theme- that gets you good marks.
Soliloquys can also add more dramatic suspense and tension, as it can often create a dramatic irony/foreshadowing of an event, and how that both interests you and a Shakespearean audience.
Sorry it was a bit vague but hopefully these are good ideas! Good luck!
Last edited by RetroSPECT3.0; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (52)
26.4%
As I expected (65)
32.99%
Harder (72)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.06%

Watched Threads