?
Report 1 month ago
Yh same here I think there the nicest ones
UsernameA101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just a heads up from someone who’s been in many talybont rooms - the large talybont north rooms are a steal. Best accommodation by far imo - I wish I lived there as a fresher!
file4file
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anyone know when we get our DBS and health check email?
Hdavies1212
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by UsernameA101)
Just a heads up from someone who’s been in many talybont rooms - the large talybont north rooms are a steal. Best accommodation by far imo - I wish I lived there as a fresher!
Do you know if Taly North is really social? I'm avoiding South because it is apparantly the most social and I don't want too many disturbed nights but I still want somewhere relatively social.
UsernameA101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hdavies1212)
Do you know if Taly North is really social? I'm avoiding South because it is apparantly the most social and I don't want too many disturbed nights but I still want somewhere relatively social.
In terms of social it kind of depends on your flatmates really - but on the whole, the general trend is that Taly South is always loud and there’s always a party happening somewhere. If you close your windows, a flat party across the courtyard isn’t really an issue but I was in taly North and generally that was a lot quieter than south. We still had parties and were invited to other flats but without as much of the craziness
Hdavies1212
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In terms of social it kind of depends on your flatmates really - but on the whole, the general trend is that Taly South is always loud and there’s always a party happening somewhere. If you close your windows, a flat party across the courtyard isn’t really an issue but I was in taly North and generally that was a lot quieter than south. We still had parties and were invited to other flats but without as much of the craziness
Taly North defo sounds ideal for me then. Are the rooms actually really small? I think I'd apply for medium en suite because the small en suite looks VERY small in the pictures online
myowm
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
guys if we're in y13 and we're not gap year are we 2020-2021 or 2021-2022? we're the first one right? 😭😭
Hdavies1212
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by myowm)
guys if we're in y13 and we're not gap year are we 2020-2021 or 2021-2022? we're the first one right? 😭😭
2021-2022 (e.g if we were applying to accomodation it is 2021-2022)
Ninjakam119
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jono1o10)
Guys I need your opinion. I want to firm Cardiff but don't know when my Leicester and liverpool will come in but I'm going Cardiff regardless anyway I'm just curious to see what I did. Do you think I should withdraw and just firm Cardiff so I don't have to worry up grade inflation and such cos I have an unconditional as a gap year achieved grades student?
Thanks
I was in the same position as you and I decided not to wait for leicester and firm cardiff because I didn't have the patience and I really wanted my top choice accomodation but if I could go back I'd wait to see if I had got the offer because you've put in so much effort it's nice to know the result of it, also if you've got an unconditional like I had, most likely you'll get your top accomodation choice.
medicbee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When we apply for accommodation then, can we only apply once we firm Cardiff? I am quite confused about how it works cuz the email they sent me about accommodation says the deadline is the end of July, but I guess if we apply earlier for accommodation, we are more likely to get our first choice?
Iridescentblue
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
this is gonna sound really dumb but how do you firm an offer before receiving decisions from the rest? :'D
medicbee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Iridescentblue)
this is gonna sound really dumb but how do you firm an offer before receiving decisions from the rest? :'D
Oh yes this isn't dumb I wanted to ask the same haha
Kizzab7
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by medicbee)
Oh yes this isn't dumb I wanted to ask the same haha
Withdraw your application from the unis you’re waiting for on ucas
UsernameA101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In answer to some of the questions above:

I was in the same situation when I first applied. I had to withdraw my application from a medical school who hadn’t replied to me after interview to firm Cardiff in order to sort accommodation. If you already know you are going to firm Cardiff and you have an insurance choice just in case then there’s no point in waiting. Once you firm Cardiff, you’ll be able to rank your accommodation choices. Don’t stress too much about this, there’s still plenty of rooms left at this stage in the year and the delay of a couple of weeks won’t make a massive difference. I applied for accommodation over the Easter holidays (in 2018) and still managed to get my first choice.

Also a general point, for medics I would really recommend anywhere in Talybont! Stick the accommodation areas into google maps and check the distances/time to walk to the medical school (Cochrane building) and bioscience (Sir Martin Evans building). Avoid university halls as they are miles away from campus and you basically need to get a bus (free shuttle bus provided but it’s a pain). Also I would say even if you can afford them, avoid the private accommodation down in the city centre too because they might look nice but it’s trek to get to university and you don’t want that extra 20 minutes on top of every journey all year!
UsernameA101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hdavies1212)
Taly North defo sounds ideal for me then. Are the rooms actually really small? I think I'd apply for medium en suite because the small en suite looks VERY small in the pictures online
The rooms in Taly North are reasonably small, not much bigger in Taly South either. Don’t think the “Taly North small rooms” just look tiny from the camera angles either - they are legitimately the size of a walk in wardrobe (you can touch every wall at once). It’s pretty ideal if you want to be able to clean your teeth from the comfort of your bed and take about two steps to your shower in the morning, the rent is cheaper too but that’s about it in terms of benefits.

Personally I would say get a large Taly north room because I think that’s best value for money but I had a medium in Taly north and it was perfect for me - I still genuinely miss that en-suite!

*disclaimer: i have a friend who is over 6ft, built like a tank and played centre for the firsts uni rugby team. He had a small room and didn’t hate it, so it’s not the end of the world if you get that*
Hdavies1212
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The rooms in Taly North are reasonably small, not much bigger in Taly South either. Don’t think the “Taly North small rooms” just look tiny from the camera angles either - they are legitimately the size of a walk in wardrobe (you can touch every wall at once). It’s pretty ideal if you want to be able to clean your teeth from the comfort of your bed and take about two steps to your shower in the morning, the rent is cheaper too but that’s about it in terms of benefits.

Personally I would say get a large Taly north room because I think that’s best value for money but I had a medium in Taly north and it was perfect for me - I still genuinely miss that en-suite!

*disclaimer: i have a friend who is over 6ft, built like a tank and played centre for the firsts uni rugby team. He had a small room and didn’t hate it, so it’s not the end of the world if you get that*
Ok thankyou!! Won't let me rep
Merriewoodcock
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
has Cardiff sent out info about an offer holder day yet? does anyone know when it will be?

I need to decide between Sheffield and Cardiff med school.
examswithnojams
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Merriewoodcock)
has Cardiff sent out info about an offer holder day yet? does anyone know when it will be?

I need to decide between Sheffield and Cardiff med school.
I got my invite to offer holder day 3 days after receiving my offer and it's on 24th March hope that helps
imperious02
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by examswithnojams)
I got my invite to offer holder day 3 days after receiving my offer and it's on 24th March hope that helps
Is the offer holder day on Zoom? I wonder if there are other dates later in the month or in April?
It's getting very close to 24th if there are other offers still to be sent, which seems to be the case from what people are saying.
examswithnojams
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by imperious02)
Is the offer holder day on Zoom? I wonder if there are other dates later in the month or in April?
It's getting very close to 24th if there are other offers still to be sent, which seems to be the case from what people are saying.
I'm not sure whether or not it's on Zoom sorry and yep I think there is also another one on 7th April
Last edited by examswithnojams; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (197)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (564)
14.47%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (439)
11.26%
Lack of purpose or motivation (537)
13.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (193)
4.95%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (233)
5.98%
Loneliness (329)
8.44%
Financial worries (143)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (153)
3.93%
Exposure to negative news/social media (175)
4.49%
Lack of real life entertainment (219)
5.62%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (350)
8.98%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (366)
9.39%

Watched Threads