Other (6)
14.29%
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Welcome to the A-level English Language Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for any assessments or grading that your teachers will be setting you over the next few months.

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support students struggling, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for!

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> How are your school assessing you in this subject?

> What are you aiming for?

> How are you currently preparing for your assessments?

Specifications:

AQA - English Language 7702

Edexcel - English Language 9EN0

OCR- English Language H470

WJEC - English Language

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:
b1rito
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)
Welcome to the A-level English Language Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for any assessments or grading that your teachers will be setting you over the next few months.

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support students struggling, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for!

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> How are your school assessing you in this subject?

> What are you aiming for?

> How are you currently preparing for your assessments?

Specifications:

AQA - English Language 7702

Edexcel - English Language 9EN0

OCR- English Language H470

WJEC - English Language

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:
Which paper was the one with an extract about a girl in a van who had to get out and get something in the rain at night? I think the familys name was Hartop thats the extract we did in 2020 nov mocks and it was pretty easy. Got another mock today as well.
Fugdivf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Does anyone have any resources they recommend for AQA such as model answers, websites, youtube channels or Textbooks?
BookishEm
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fugdivf)
Does anyone have any resources they recommend for AQA such as model answers, websites, youtube channels or Textbooks?
Hi there!
I've got a couple of recommendations. Obviously there's the classic:
Language: A student handbook on Key Topics and Theories, by The English and Media Centre - this is a really good coverall/revision read as an alternative to your classic textbook.

AQA AS and A Level English Language, ed. Dan Clayton and Angela Goddard and Beth Kemp and others, Oxford Publishing, ISBN 978 019 833400 2

My personal favourite revision guide:
A2-LEVEL English Language, 'The Revision Guide', by CGP, ISBN 978 1 84762 279 2

some general blog-gy things:
http://linguistics-research-digest.blogspot.com/
edit: will come back and add anything else if i can think of it.
Hope this helps,
Em
Last edited by BookishEm; 1 month ago
Fugdivf
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BookishEm)
Hi there!
I've got a couple of recommendations. Obviously there's the classic:
Language: A student handbook on Key Topics and Theories, by The English and Media Centre - this is a really good coverall/revision read as an alternative to your classic textbook.

AQA AS and A Level English Language, ed. Dan Clayton and Angela Goddard and Beth Kemp and others, Oxford Publishing, ISBN 978 019 833400 2

My personal favourite revision guide:
A2-LEVEL English Language, 'The Revision Guide', by CGP, ISBN 978 1 84762 279 2

some general blog-gy things:
http://linguistics-research-digest.blogspot.com/
edit: will come back and add anything else if i can think of it.
Hope this helps,
Em
Thank you so much! Do you have any tips for paper 1? I'm finding timing and structuring my answers quite tricky and the example answer on the aqa website isn't too helpful
BookishEm
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fugdivf)
Thank you so much! Do you have any tips for paper 1? I'm finding timing and structuring my answers quite tricky and the example answer on the aqa website isn't too helpful
Hey there, glad they were helpful
I'd advise you work out which questions take the longest and which you can get done the quickest. (Obviously you want to prioritise anything you know you can score high marks in).
I'd also say, divide up your time into a reasonable time slot per question - only you'll know what works best for you - for me I spend about 35-40 mins on the essay Q with the example of childrens writing - but always make sure you have about 10-20 minutes at the end you haven't scheduled which you can then go back to any questions you haven't finished.

As for structuring, the formula I'd generally go with for my answers
PARAGRAPH
1. argument I'm making
2. bring in a case study, e.g., william labov new york study
3. use examples from that study (and if doing the transcript question, compare with examples from the text)
4. show how the principle/ideas of the study apply here
5. make a mini conclusion - why this is significant, whether it supports the question or contradicts it, is it a yes or no, or is it 'more complicated than that?' (e.g., I could argue that children's language acquisition is clearly not just a result of child directed speech, which means I have to engage with 'its more complicated than that' - I could talk about innate language, or even better - argue that its a combination of the two.

Then you want to repeat that formula for each paragraph (one point per paragraph) and the goal is with every paragraph to build up your mini conclusion. Even in your 'disagree' paragraph you can say, I disagree that children's language isn't simply innate and we come with grammar rules built in, but this supports my argument even more that its a combination of the two.

This was very long winded and I'm not sure if I communicated it well haha,
but if you have any questions please just get in touch.
I really hope this helps
Em
chloeleighhh03
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is anyone using the royal wedding text A and B as part of their mini-assessment (AQA English Langauge), for question 1,2 and 3 Paper 1 which was released on AQA's website? I am really struggling to analyse the texts and form an answer. Please please help, my exam is on Friday
14emacisaac
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chloeleighhh03)
Is anyone using the royal wedding text A and B as part of their mini-assessment (AQA English Langauge), for question 1,2 and 3 Paper 1 which was released on AQA's website? I am really struggling to analyse the texts and form an answer. Please please help, my exam is on Friday
Which text was this? I can't find the modern text A?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (18)
32.14%
No (38)
67.86%

Watched Threads