Other (2)
28.57%
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Welcome to the A-level Music Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for any assessments or grading that your teachers will be setting you over the next few months.

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support students struggling, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for!

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> How are your school assessing you in this subject?

> What are you aiming for?

> How are you currently preparing for your assessments?

Specifications:

AQA - Music 7272

OCR- Music H505

WJEC - Music

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:
asianism
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Is there anyone here lol?
omaiie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello First time I've interacted with any threads on here, figured I should start with the basics and find the threads for my A-Levels.

I'm Mai and I'm in Year 12 doing Music (obviously). I play the violin and piano, working towards Grade 8 for both. I'm doing the OCR course; I also did the OCR GCSE course for Music.
For the end of year exams, we are being assessed much like how we would in the real thing (more or less) - we have to submit two compositions, one brief and one free, we have to record a short recital, and we have to sit a listening and appraising paper (I think we're being set an old AS one). This year's compositions are more like practice runs; we have to make new ones for the real thing next year, of course! As for the recital, I imagine I'll be using the same pieces that I've practised for this year.

As for how I'm preparing, it's just practice, practice, practice! 40 hours every day
I admit it's a bit hard for me to fit my practice in for two instruments every day since I have so many other things to do in the day as well, but I'm doing my best Regarding my compositions, I decided to try making plans more recently as before I was quite relaxed with how I came up with ideas (i.e: pressing random keys on a piano and hoping for the best). So far my brief is going better than my free but hopefully, I can get the latter up to scratch soon!

Will try and be active here
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by omaiie)
Hello First time I've interacted with any threads on here, figured I should start with the basics and find the threads for my A-Levels.

I'm Mai and I'm in Year 12 doing Music (obviously). I play the violin and piano, working towards Grade 8 for both. I'm doing the OCR course; I also did the OCR GCSE course for Music.
For the end of year exams, we are being assessed much like how we would in the real thing (more or less) - we have to submit two compositions, one brief and one free, we have to record a short recital, and we have to sit a listening and appraising paper (I think we're being set an old AS one). This year's compositions are more like practice runs; we have to make new ones for the real thing next year, of course! As for the recital, I imagine I'll be using the same pieces that I've practised for this year.

As for how I'm preparing, it's just practice, practice, practice! 40 hours every day
I admit it's a bit hard for me to fit my practice in for two instruments every day since I have so many other things to do in the day as well, but I'm doing my best Regarding my compositions, I decided to try making plans more recently as before I was quite relaxed with how I came up with ideas (i.e: pressing random keys on a piano and hoping for the best). So far my brief is going better than my free but hopefully, I can get the latter up to scratch soon!

Will try and be active here
Hey!

First off, welcome Glad to have you here!

This thread hasn't been the most active, but stick around and hopefully it get's a little bit busier.

Might be worth checking out a few other threads below that might be of interest to you:

General Year 12 Chat Thread
All our A-level Study Groups (for your other subjects)
Our Grow Your Grades forum (Our blogging competition you might be interested in!)
astrobunny
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
even though i am in year 11 now, i am studying A Level music, can I join? i have a lot of interest and love for music
omaiie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by astrobunny)
even though i am in year 11 now, i am studying A Level music, can I join? i have a lot of interest and love for music
I'm sure that's fine!! That's amazing if you're already doing A-Level in Year 11! :0
Always nice to meet other people interested in music
asianism
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm Year 13 rn studying at a music school ( alevel music aqa) would be glad to answer questions.
JessD3333
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys, I do edexcel
astrobunny
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by omaiie)
I'm sure that's fine!! That's amazing if you're already doing A-Level in Year 11! :0
Always nice to meet other people interested in music
oh no !! aha i'm not that smart, i'm starting in September i was wondering if i could join early though? it would be nice to get some insight at the subject!!
bubbleslemons
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi everyone I'm year 12 and I do edexcel
omaiie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by astrobunny)
oh no !! aha i'm not that smart, i'm starting in September i was wondering if i could join early though? it would be nice to get some insight at the subject!!
OH GOSH I misunderstood I'm so sorry hahahh
Still, that's a good idea!! Good preparation and stuff! You're very welcome here I'm sure I'm happy to answer any questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads