Sex attacker spared jail ... because he’d lose his job?!

Watch
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...lking-20157910

A man who forced himself on a young woman as she walked home alone late at night has walked free after complaining he would lose his job if he went to jail.”

This was an actual story in my local news today. If you have a kid and need to work to pay the bills then it’s ok to ambush a woman, pin her to the ground and molest her. According to the British legal system anyway.

This didn’t happen in some third world country but in the town of Shaw and Crompton, a few miles north of Manchester City centre. No doubt he’ll be back out victimising some other poor woman in no time.

This is the kind of thing we should be trying to change rather than arguing about who should be crossing the street when and whether it’s OK to look at somebody.
MedicineJourney
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Be careful about where you get your information from
-Imperator-
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...lking-20157910

A man who forced himself on a young woman as she walked home alone late at night has walked free after complaining he would lose his job if he went to jail.”

This was an actual story in my local news today. If you have a kid and need to work to pay the bills then it’s ok to ambush a woman, pin her to the ground and molest her. According to the British legal system anyway.

This didn’t happen in some third world country but in the town of Shaw and Crompton, a few miles north of Manchester City centre. No doubt he’ll be back out victimising some other poor woman in no time.

This is the kind of thing we should be trying to change rather than arguing about who should be crossing the street when and whether it’s OK to look at somebody.
I don't think its uncommon for judges to do this kind of thing for smaller crimes. He was given a prison sentence of 6 months, which he has 2 years to get ready for, so his family won't be left in the lurch. The judge seemed to think that he was unlikely to reoffend.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I get lambasted on here for my view of the judiciary, yet it’s cases like this which reaffirm my beliefs. So out of touch, so soft, so useless.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by -Imperator-)
I don't think its uncommon for judges to do this kind of thing for smaller crimes. He was given a prison sentence of 6 months, which he has 2 years to get ready for, so his family won't be left in the lurch. The judge seemed to think that he was unlikely to reoffend.
That's not what a suspended prison sentence means.....

As it currently stands, this guy is not going to jail for the crime.
-Imperator-
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ANM775)
That's not what a suspended prison sentence means.....

As it currently stands, this guy is not going to jail for the crime.
What does it mean then?
Billy Butlins
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Here we go again... Whilst I think it is wrong that a young woman was forced upon by a pervert, who wrongfully spared jail, I think all men will pay the price for this crime.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What does it mean then?
he has a 6mth prison sentence suspended for 2 yrs.

If for 2 yrs he does not get in anymore trouble with the police he will not have to serve the 6 mths jail time. If within that 2 yr period he gets in trouble with the police again then he's going to have to serve that 6 month prison sentence as well as any additional time for the new offence he commited.
-Imperator-
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh. So he pretty much got away with it :c
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh. So he pretty much got away with it :c
Essentially. This is why I fully believe our judiciary are useless.
Last edited by imlikeahermit; 4 weeks ago
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Doesn't everyone lose their job when they go to prison?

And wouldn't he lose it anyway, because his boss and customers have just seen his name in the local papers as an attempted rapist.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ThomH97)
Doesn't everyone lose their job when they go to prison?

And wouldn't he lose it anyway, because his boss and customers have just seen his name in the local papers as an attempted rapist.
he works for a takeaway.

not being racist but if it's a small one it is probably run by ethnic minorities with strong family/community connections ..so he would be less likely to be just sacked.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ANM775)
he works for a takeaway.

not being racist but if it's a small one it is probably run by ethnic minorities with strong family/community connections ..so he would be less likely to be just sacked.

He probably won’t get sacked and if he does he’ll be rehired by another takeaway in the area ... they’re all run by the same community round there.

He’s got to do a sex offenders rehabilitation course, whatever the hell that means. I bet he passes it and then molests someone else. Half the crime stories around here are people with previous convictions or are “known to the authorities” so I’m kinda cynical towards this soft approach the courts like.
Economixxx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ludicrous.

Although that the police took it seriously enough to investigate properly and, unlike some rapists, did not simply caution him is more than what happens in a lot of cases.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The real problem isn't this young gentleman. it's toxic masculinity and white Supremacy. This poor man was lashing out due to systemic oppression- if anything he's a victim too. He should be helping Elon Musk develop advanced AI but he has to work at a take away because of racism.

I'm glad that he is getting the help he needs. I don't mind at all my tax money is being used to rehabilitate this no doubt pillar of the community to get the help he needs.

I hope they use the Swedish methods to reduce sex offences.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SvIQaIgKiO4

As you can see they're really cutting edge and will no doubt cut the sudden increase of sexual assaults in Sweden. Don't know what's up with Sweden lately must be that Viking DNA.
legalhelp
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sentencing exercises for crimes like this are extremely difficult and nuanced. Although this one might look lenient on its face, it’s really hard to say whether it represents the right outcome unless you have all the facts, which we clearly don’t. Two general observations though that might be of interest to you all. One, he seems to have pleaded guilty rather than been convicted at trial. This means he would have got a discount on his sentence of up to 1/3, depending on exactly when he pleaded. Secondly, and relatedly, the longest sentence you can suspend is two years. So say he pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity, and got the full 1/3 credit, the full sentence had he gone to trial and been convicted would have been 3 years, not 2, which the judge would not have been able to suspend. So it looks like he avoided custody at least in part because of his (smart) decision to plead.

I have no sympathy for men who commit crimes like this, so please don’t mistake me for some sort of soft apologist for sex offenders. But this man had a family who, seemingly, were financially dependent on him. Sentencing doesn’t just affect the offender, it affects those who rely on him or her too, and judges have to keep this in mind. Plus, don’t underestimate how onerous the sexual offender notification requirements are on a person. True, some judges may have thought immediate custody was necessary, but overall this was was no slap on the wrist either.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
Essentially. This is why I fully believe our judiciary are useless.
Not useless. Politicised.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
Not useless. Politicised.
I don’t agree. If they were politicised they would be handing out tougher sentences. Useless, weak, hopeless. That’s more like it.
legalhelp
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
I don’t agree. If they were politicised they would be handing out tougher sentences. Useless, weak, hopeless. That’s more like it.
You mean tougher sentences within the ranges decided entirely by...the government?
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by legalhelp)
You mean tougher sentences within the ranges decided entirely by...the government?
No, because the ranges decided by the government are adequate, it’s the judgement of where the sentence falls in that range that are not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (162)
41.86%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (56)
14.47%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (161)
41.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.07%

Watched Threads