simplification when w is cube root of unity

Watch
maggiehodgson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
W^8 + w^2 has two solutions. One is -1 which I have achieved in many different ways. The other solution is 2. I cannot get it. Can anyone give me a clue? Thanks
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Can you upload the original question?
Do you mean value of the expression or w^8+w^2=0 or ...
Last edited by mqb2766; 6 months ago
maggiehodgson
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Can you upload the original question?
Do you mean value of the expression or w^8+w^2=0 or ...
Sorry I made an error in typing

The question is: If w is the cube root of 1, find the possible values of each of the following: (the first 3 I managed to do) and then w^8 + w^10 There was no = 0 or = anything Here is the question it's form the book called Further Pure Mathematics by Brain and Mark Gaulter. I tried to get an image but it's turned out a bit too small I think
Name:  com.png
Views: 6
Size:  96.8 KB
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by maggiehodgson)
Sorry I made an error in typing

The question is: If w is the cube root of 1, find the possible values of each of the following: (the first 3 I managed to do) and then w^8 + w^10 There was no = 0 or = anything Here is the question it's form the book called Further Pure Mathematics by Brain and Mark Gaulter. I tried to get an image but it's turned out a bit too small I think
Name:  com.png
Views: 6
Size:  96.8 KB
That makes more sense, the w^2 didn't work. What are the cube roots of unity?

Note that w^3=w^6=w^9=1, for any root. So the expression can be simplified to...
maggiehodgson
Rep:
?
As you can see, for me all roads lead to minus 1. Can’t get it to 2. Any further clue?

Thanks
Attached files
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It reduces to
w + w^2
The roots of unity are
1, -1/2+/-i*sqrt(3)/2
The two complex roots are conjgates.

You can also get it by factorizing
w^3 - 1 = 0
maggiehodgson
Rep:
?
It reduces to
w + w^2
The roots of unity are
1, -1/2+/-i*sqrt(3)/2
The two complex roots are conjgates.
I got that it reduced to w + w^2. I have now found out a little extra (which is now obvious): if a cube root of 1 is 1 then w + w^2 2. Simple when you know how.

Thanks again, without your help I would have been struggling for even longer.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I got that it reduced to w + w^2. I have now found out a little extra (which is now obvious): if a cube root of 1 is 1 then w + w^2 2. Simple when you know how.

Thanks again, without your help I would have been struggling for even longer.
Also solving
w^3 = 1
Is factorized as
(w - 1)(w^2 + w + 1) = 0
The quadratic factor corresponds to the two complex roots and both must satisfy
w^2 + w = -1
The linear factor is
w = 1
So
w^2 + w = 2

You don't need to solve for/know the comp!ex root values, but picturing them on the unit circle (modulus 1, arg 0, 120, 240) gives insight. In particular, why w^2 is the conjugate of w.
maggiehodgson
Rep:
?
Also solving
w^3 = 1
Is factorized as
(w - 1)(w^2 + w + 1) = 0
The quadratic factor corresponds to the two complex roots and both must satisfy
w^2 + w = -1
The linear factor is
w = 1
So
w^2 + w = 2

You don't need to solve for/know the comp!ex root values, but picturing them on the unit circle (modulus 1, arg 0, 120, 240) gives insight. In particular, why w^2 is the conjugate of w.
I would like to ask another question on the same topic if you don’t mind. Question 7c from the image I attached gave just the answer to be w^2 which I got. Could a numerical answer have been one? I don’t see why not but it’s now bugging me that the book answer was not 1.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I would like to ask another question on the same topic if you don’t mind. Question 7c from the image I attached gave just the answer to be w^2 which I got. Could a numerical answer have been one? I don’t see why not but it’s now bugging me that the book answer was not 1.
Is it
(w+w^4)/(w^2+w^5)
If so, that is
1/w = w^2
So it could (numerically) be 1,-1/2+/-isqrt(3)/2 as if w is a root of unity, so is w^2.
maggiehodgson
Rep:
?
Is it
(w+w^4)/(w^2+w^5)
If so, that is
1/w = w^2
So it could (numerically) be 1,-1/2+/-isqrt(3)/2 as if w is a root of unity, so is w^2.
Thanks. I wonder why they used w^2 as an answer on this question and numbers on the others. None of the questions had the answers -1/2+/-isqrt(3)/2 but my book has explained where they come from and I understand it.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thanks. I wonder why they used w^2 as an answer on this question and numbers on the others. None of the questions had the answers -1/2+/-isqrt(3)/2 but my book has explained where they come from and I understand it.
Not sure, but when you sub the root w into the fraction, it evaluates to w^2, which is w* (complex conjugate). So the ans could be the root values, w^2, w*, ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.79%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.51%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.79%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (70)
27.24%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.29%

Watched Threads