joonieboongie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Someone I know wants to do their masters immediately after their degree in creative writing. I was wondering on how funding would work, I heard somewhere you only get 5 years worth of loans (since that’s the way they’d fund the course) but the person I know is also considering doing a year long teaching course as well.

My main questions are:
How is funding support different in masters different to undergraduate financial support? This person is still needs a lot of financial support
Would they be able to take out loans for all those years? They’ve completed their 3 year degree and want to do a 2 year masters with a 1 year teaching course

Thanks
Katarvi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Is it a part time or full time Masters they want to do?

Masters loans are seperate from undergrad loans and they don’t run on years of study, you just get a flat rate amount. Unlike undergrad loans you don’t get your tuition paid and then maintenance on top, you get around 11k to pay for everything and it’s split into 3 payments (or 6 if you’re part time). If the 11k won’t cover all the fees and living costs (it very likely won’t) they’ll need to look into scholarships, bursaries or self-funding alongside it.

All this info is on the gov website regarding Masters loans so really I’d suggest looking there.
joonieboongie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Katarvi)
Is it a part time or full time Masters they want to do?

Masters loans are seperate from undergrad loans and they don’t run on years of study, you just get a flat rate amount. Unlike undergrad loans you don’t get your tuition paid and then maintenance on top, you get around 11k to pay for everything and it’s split into 3 payments (or 6 if you’re part time). If the 11k won’t cover all the fees and living costs (it very likely won’t) they’ll need to look into scholarships, bursaries or self-funding alongside it.

All this info is on the gov website regarding Masters loans so really I’d suggest looking there.
They were looking at full time and i’ll have a look on the website, thanks
Bangor Uni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by joonieboongie)
Someone I know wants to do their masters immediately after their degree in creative writing. I was wondering on how funding would work, I heard somewhere you only get 5 years worth of loans (since that’s the way they’d fund the course) but the person I know is also considering doing a year long teaching course as well.

My main questions are:
How is funding support different in masters different to undergraduate financial support? This person is still needs a lot of financial support
Would they be able to take out loans for all those years? They’ve completed their 3 year degree and want to do a 2 year masters with a 1 year teaching course

Thanks
Hey joonieboongie,

Have you had a look at the Universities website for some advice? Have a look at our Postgraduate Funding pages, we have some information and tables to help on student finance for Wales, England and Northern Ireland - https://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentfina...an-entitlement

Take a look at each countries funding websites too; (you need to apply to the funding provider for where you currently live, so if you live in England and wish to study in Wales you would fo through student finance England)
England - https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan
Wales - https://www.studentfinancewales.co.u...-students.aspx
Northern Ireland - https://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/t.../postgraduate/

There is also some alternative funding which can help find some funding, have a read of these
- The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding - https://www.postgraduate-funding.com/
- Prospects - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgrad...graduate-study

Remember you could also advise your friend to look into scholarships and bursaries as they could help towards the cost and most Universities will have some to offer.

If you have any more questions let us know!
Rhian
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by joonieboongie)

My main questions are:

Thanks
The postgrad loan works differently.
You get £10,000 from SFE to spend on everything (course and maintenance), it all comes directly to you.

Any other costs you need to finance yourself.

It's worth noting the postgraduate loan is a separate loan with separate repayment terms, this means once you start earning money you have to pay both loans back simultaneously.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.85%
Uncertainty around my education (93)
11.34%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (84)
10.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (104)
12.68%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.88%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.49%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (90)
10.98%
Financial worries (57)
6.95%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (38)
4.63%
Exposure to negative news/social media (52)
6.34%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.05%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (79)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (65)
7.93%

Watched Threads