Watch
Smeraldettoi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by j-dulas)
Cuz, there is a word sexually ambiuous im wonderin if thats the same thing
I would wager that all intersex folk would want to be called by their name if you’re referring to an intersex person non directly then I would just say intersex
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by j-dulas)
Just wondering, is (trigger warning) shemale, an acctual condition or somethin
S****** is practically always used as a slur and certainly isn’t a medical term.
Around 1-2% of the population is intersex in some way, either by having chromosomal abnormalities or genitalia/hormone profiles that don’t fit our ideas of typically male or female. The medical terminology used is “intersex” or the name of their specific condition (eg Kleinfelter’s). Many intersex people don’t identify as trans, part of the LGBT community, or having a medical condition though.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
What does gender envy feel like?

I identify as female, and I kinda wish I didn’t have breasts? I just,,,feel detached from it. I’m in a weird space of questioning my sexuality as well, so it’s all a bit confusing lol
parmezanne
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I identify as female, and I kinda wish I didn’t have breasts? I just,,,feel detached from it. I’m in a weird space of questioning my sexuality as well, so it’s all a bit confusing lol
I'm sorry that you're in a bit of a muddle right now but you've come to the right place for some advice and support! I'm going to pass this one onto becausethenight Stiff Little Fingers and sinfonietta who will have more experience with gender identity than me. :yep:

In terms of your sexuality, what are you finding particularly confusing? I spent an entire year questioning mine so I might be of some help to you if you could expand a little more, if you're comfortable to of course
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Hey,

I can't speak about this from the point of view of someone who isn't Cis, but I'm a cis woman and I very much wish I had a more androgynous body type- I think we are so bombarded with images of certain types of bodies, particularly in terms of "high fashion" that it can be normal to dislike or not feel comfortable with certain aspects of "female" bodies.

It's not quite the same thing, as I wouldn't want to not have breasts at all, but I'd like them to be much smaller, and to not really have hips etc etc.

Breasts can be uncomfortable, cause back pain, you have to buy special bras to exercise and it's just a whole thing.

I just wanted to offer the perspective that not being comfortable with all aspects of your body as woman doesn't necessarily mean you're not cis. Although, of course, it might.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by parmezanne)
I'm sorry that you're in a bit of a muddle right now but you've come to the right place for some advice and support! I'm going to pass this one onto becausethenight Stiff Little Fingers and sinfonietta who will have more experience with gender identity than me. :yep:

In terms of your sexuality, what are you finding particularly confusing? I spent an entire year questioning mine so I might be of some help to you if you could expand a little more, if you're comfortable to of course
Uh- I’ve been questioning my sexuality for almost a year now, and came to the conclusion that I’m not straight. I think I’m attracted to men? And probably also women (since I was in denial about having a crush on my female best friend for a good year). I’ve stuck with queer as a label- since I think I’m attracted to all genders, but not quite sure yet. I think I just have impostor syndrome- I question myself relentlessly about whether I’m ‘queer enough’ and worry if I’m kist trying to draw attention to myself/I’m just faking it.

Not really knowing if I am attracted to guys kinda makes it difficult to figure out the whole, do i want to be *with* them or *be* them

(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Hey,

I can't speak about this from the point of view of someone who isn't Cis, but I'm a cis woman and I very much wish I had a more androgynous body type- I think we are so bombarded with images of certain types of bodies, particularly in terms of "high fashion" that it can be normal to dislike or not feel comfortable with certain aspects of "female" bodies.

It's not quite the same thing, as I wouldn't want to not have breasts at all, but I'd like them to be much smaller, and to not really have hips etc etc.

Breasts can be uncomfortable, cause back pain, you have to buy special bras to exercise and it's just a whole thing.

I just wanted to offer the perspective that not being comfortable with all aspects of your body as woman doesn't necessarily mean you're not cis. Although, of course, it might.
I’m not totally flat chested, but I’ve always had small breasts. I kinda just want them.. gone. They don’t really impact my life? Thats sounds weird- but I’ve never had health related issues with them, I can get away with not really wearing a bra and being fine.

I don’t have gender dysphoria- I don’t think. I feel semi comfortable in my body- but it’s more like apathy?
jademowry123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Welcome to TSR's LGBTQ+ Q & A Thread!

This thread is designed to answer any questions you might have being queer or as an ally! Although we can't speak for the entire LGBTQ+ community, we will all have some shared experiences, whether it be coming out or questioning ourselves. Feel free to ask for advice, information, experiences or places to find support. :yep:

Below are a number of queer TSR users who are happy to provide advice or answer questions:

Link to the LGBT+ Chat Thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2529505
Link to last year's Pride Hub: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...ht=pride%20hub

Q and A Moderation Notes:

• This thread is not intended for debate. Any users inciting debate or being disrespectful will be removed.
  • Please be mindful of any triggering content. If you are asking about something that is potentially triggering, please provide a trigger warning and put the question in a spoiler.
hey my name is jay-jay i have a question to ask xx
parmezanne
Rep:
?
(Original post by jademowry123)
hey my name is jay-jay i have a question to ask xx
sure! go ahead
jademowry123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
sure! go ahead
i am a lesbian but somedays i feel like i dont have a gender what does that mean
parmezanne
Rep:
?
i am a lesbian but somedays i feel like i dont have a gender what does that mean
Hi! Thanks for your question.

I'm going to hand you over to sinfonietta and becausethenight - I haven't experienced struggles with gender identity so perhaps they'll be better suited to help you :yep:
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Uh- I’ve been questioning my sexuality for almost a year now, and came to the conclusion that I’m not straight. I think I’m attracted to men? And probably also women (since I was in denial about having a crush on my female best friend for a good year). I’ve stuck with queer as a label- since I think I’m attracted to all genders, but not quite sure yet. I think I just have impostor syndrome- I question myself relentlessly about whether I’m ‘queer enough’ and worry if I’m kist trying to draw attention to myself/I’m just faking it.

Not really knowing if I am attracted to guys kinda makes it difficult to figure out the whole, do i want to be *with* them or *be* them

I’m not totally flat chested, but I’ve always had small breasts. I kinda just want them.. gone. They don’t really impact my life? Thats sounds weird- but I’ve never had health related issues with them, I can get away with not really wearing a bra and being fine.

I don’t have gender dysphoria- I don’t think. I feel semi comfortable in my body- but it’s more like apathy?
I do think this is a feeling that some Cis Women relate to- we get so much messaging about the "perfect" body that it's normal to feel somewhat dissatisfied or not love our own.

But it sounds like there are other things making you question your gender identity a bit? So it may be worth playing with gender a bit to see how that makes you feel?

I think the way you feel about being "queer" is very common too.
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Gender identity and gender expression can be two separate things. If you dislike your breasts then that's a choice you can make (e.g. binding, mastectomy), and cis people can be envious of other genders without being trans/non-binary

Dysphoria can be weird, people don't experience it the same way - for some people it doesn't come as discomfort or pain but as apathy towards assigned gender and euphoria at being seen as a different gender. Finding a label can be useful for yourself but you don't need to find a label to start making changes to your presentation based on how you'd like to be seen. Sometimes that can end up telling you more about what labels you might be comfortable with.
jademowry123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi! Thanks for your question.

I'm going to hand you over to sinfonietta and becausethenight - I haven't experienced struggles with gender identity so perhaps they'll be better suited to help you :yep:
how do i get in touc with them to talk about my expierence
parmezanne
Rep:
?
how do i get in touc with them to talk about my expierence
I tagged them, so when they're online they'll get back to you :hugs:
jademowry123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I tagged them, so when they're online they'll get back to you :hugs:
ok thank you
Anonymous #4
Report 2 weeks ago
I feel that I'm faking being part of the LGBTQ+ community / that I'm a cishet person who wants attention :/
(I only found out some labels that fit with my gender/sexuality quite recently and I'm really confused)
I also feel like a hypocrite because I used to be against the community... (but now I am trying to be a good ally)

Spoiler:
Show
I think it might be the homophobia / transphobia in my family that makes me think I'm faking being part of the community, but I'm not sure
Anonymous #5
Report 2 weeks ago
What's the Q strand for?
Anonymous #4
Report 2 weeks ago
I feel that I'm faking being part of the LGBTQ+ community / that I'm a cishet person who wants attention :/
(I only found out some labels that fit with my gender/sexuality quite recently and I'm really confused)
I also feel like a hypocrite because I used to be against the community... (but now I am trying to be a good ally)

Spoiler:
Show
I think it might be the homophobia / transphobia in my family that makes me think I'm faking being part of the community, but I'm not sure
I forgot to add that I don't experience dysphoria, so that's probably why I feel like I'm pretending
Anonymous #4
Report 2 weeks ago
What's the Q strand for?
Queer / Questioning I think
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What's the Q strand for?
Either 'questioning' or 'queer'
I forgot to add that I don't experience dysphoria, so that's probably why I feel like I'm pretending
If you're questioning/exploring your gender/sexuality then of course you can identify with the community!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (170)
41.87%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (60)
14.78%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (168)
41.38%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.97%

Watched Threads