The Student Room Group

LGBTQ+ Q and A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by becausethenight
Bisexual is often defined as being attracted to one's own gender and other genders, not just two! :yep:
Personally, I see bi and pan as very much synonymous. Attempts to define them differently often seem to suggest that bi people are either only into genitals, or are transphobic by default.

bi - sexual means two genders
lol
Original post by parmezanne
i love this :lol:

Yellow washes out my complexion :lol:

Original post by Rosie_IoM
lol

Lol, as an amateur Classicist it’s great to know that words can never change meaning from what they originally meant in Latin!
I assume you understand “aquarium” as “anything relating to water”, “palatial” as “on the Palatine hill in Rome”, “muscle” as “a little mouse”...?
Original post by Anonymous
Hey I have another question for you guys. Just asking of when was the recent discovery of one of the gender or sexual orientation that is found recently and has been added to the community.

Not 100% sure what you mean here - the process of new labels becoming more mainstream or used by more people is typically an organic process that comes about as people find a need for one. We’re long past the days of a Kraft-Ebing publishing a huge book defining a bunch of mental illnesses he observed in his patients and calling that ‘the discovery of the homosexual’ or whatever.
Yellow washes out my complexion :lol:

Lol, as an amateur Classicist it’s great to know that words can never change meaning from what they originally meant in Latin!
I assume you understand “aquarium” as “anything relating to water”, “palatial” as “on the Palatine hill in Rome”, “muscle” as “a little mouse”...?

prsom :lol:
prsom :lol:

i keep seeing prsom .. what does it mean?
Original post by ari1224
i keep seeing prsom .. what does it mean?

'please rate some other member' - basically I want to like their post, but I have liked a different post of theirs too recently so am not able to do it again just yet :smile:
'please rate some other member' - basically I want to like their post, but I have liked a different post of theirs too recently so am not able to do it again just yet :smile:

ohhhh thank you! <3
Original post by Rosie_IoM
lol

I saw this thing where it explained bi as being
Attracted to people of your gender
And to those not your gender
Hope that makes sense :smile:
Original post by ari1224
I saw this thing where it explained bi as being
Attracted to people of your gender
And to those not your gender
Hope that makes sense :smile:

It's different for everyone. :smile:

For some, it can mean two or more genders - so attraction to non-binary people, for instance. For others like myself, it's attraction to men and women. It depends person to person and if you're unsure when someone tells you they're bisexual, it's best not to make assumptions. :yep:
It's been very interesting to see the discussion of bisexual and pansexual in here, as I have often been confused by the difference between them.

For some, it can mean two or more genders - so attraction to non-binary people, for instance. For others like myself, it's attraction to men and women. It depends person to person and if you're unsure when someone tells you they're bisexual, it's best not to make assumptions. :yep:

PRSOM :smile:
I’m enjoying this discussion as well because I think it really shows that we can’t universally define these labels (or probably any labels lol) and that’s a good (and very queer) thing imo. It goes some ways to pointing out the flaws in a lot of the discourse around ‘who’s really gay enough’ at the moment, and in monolithical ideas of gender (like how plenty of people identify as straight/gay, not pan or bi, but do date nonbinary and trans people)
(edited 3 years ago)

See this to me is a bit weird that you're excluding non-binary people under the bisexuality umbrella...which to me doesn't make sense if you say you're bi since you could be attracted to anyone regardless of their gender? And idk I think it's not fair to not include non-binary in the bisexual label since the whole idea of being bi is being to date anyone you like.
Even historically this definition of bisexuality didn't exclude non-binary people:
"The Trevor Project notes that historically and culturally, many people use the term [bisexual] to refer to “attraction to more than one gender, and the current definition is not specifically binary.” "
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/09/17/bisexual-awareness-week-trevor-project-mistakes-bisexuality-biphobia-erasure-non-binary/
Original post by ari1224
See this to me is a bit weird that you're excluding non-binary people under the bisexuality umbrella...which to me doesn't make sense if you say you're bi since you could be attracted to anyone regardless of their gender? And idk I think it's not fair to not include non-binary in the bisexual label since the whole idea of being bi is being to date anyone you like.
Even historically this definition of bisexuality didn't exclude non-binary people:
"The Trevor Project notes that historically and culturally, many people use the term [bisexual] to refer to “attraction to more than one gender, and the current definition is not specifically binary.” "
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/09/17/bisexual-awareness-week-trevor-project-mistakes-bisexuality-biphobia-erasure-non-binary/

The idea of dating someone regardless of gender is more associated with pansexuality. :yep:
Original post by ari1224

The impression I get is that @parmezanne is defining it in that way for herself specifically, because she is a bi person who isn’t attracted to non-binary people? She acknowledges that bi can and usually does include attraction to non-binary people, it’s just not what it means for her.

Like I agree with you that the historical rewriting of bi as a ‘transphobic’ label is nonsense, as a bi enby person myself! But I don’t think it’s fair, ironically, to tell someone that their sexuality isn’t fair to the people they’re not attracted to, or that they can’t use the label they do.
The impression I get is that @parmezanne is defining it in that way for herself specifically, because she is a bi person who isn’t attracted to non-binary people? She acknowledges that bi can and usually does include attraction to non-binary people, it’s just not what it means for her.

Like I agree with you that the historical rewriting of bi as a ‘transphobic’ label is nonsense, as a bi enby person myself! But I don’t think it’s fair, ironically, to tell someone that their sexuality isn’t fair to the people they’re not attracted to, or that they can’t use the label they do.

how does she know she wouldn't date someone who is non-binary? They can still present in a masculine/feminine way if she is into people who conform to societies standards of gender??
It's just confusing me
The statement of not dating non-binary people as a bisexual is just giving me transphobic undertones tbh am I just taking this the wrong way?
Original post by ari1224
how does she know she wouldn't date someone who is non-binary? They can still present in a masculine/feminine way if she is into people who conform to societies standards of gender??
It's just confusing me

Again, I kind of agree with this, because non-binary people aren’t a monolith! But neither are men and women, and we accept that people are just generally not sexually attracted to 50% of that group. It’s not something I understand, but I think we have to trust that people know themselves and know who they’re attracted to.
Of course if the reasoning people have behind some of this stuff is dodgy (like “I just hate enbys” or “I’d never date enbys because they cheat on you” or something) it’s worth gently pointing that out but otherwise we’re all adults and we have our preferences.

Trust me, I am hugely looking forward to the genderqueer future where sexuality labels are seen as meaningless and gender is a lie, but not everyone else is, and I can’t tell people that they can’t have gender-based sexual preferences just because I think gender is kinda silly :tongue:
(edited 3 years ago)
I guess you're right. Who am I to tell someone who they are attracted to lol

Again, I kind of agree with this, because non-binary people aren’t a monolith! But neither are men and women, and we accept that people are just generally not sexually attracted to 50% of that group. It’s not something I understand, but I think we have to trust that people know themselves and know who they’re attracted to.
Of course if the reasoning people have behind some of this stuff is dodgy (like “I just hate enbys” or “I’d never date enbys because they cheat on you” or something) it’s worth gently pointing that out but otherwise we’re all adults and we have our preferences.
Trust me, I am hugely looking forward to the genderqueer future where sexuality labels are seen as meaningless and gender is a lie, but not everyone else is, and I can’t tell people that they can’t have gender-based sexual preferences just because I think gender is kinda silly :tongue:

I hope gender roles get abolished lol
But yh loads of people still ****ing with gender (like me ig lol)
Original post by ari1224
I guess you're right. Who am I to tell someone who they are attracted to lol

Lol that's what I think it comes down to.
Re: transphobia I 100% agree that people can have transphobic reasons for "not being attracted to trans people/non-binary people" and it can be a dogwhistle for that (like the SuperStraight nutjobs). But it isn't transphobic per se, is how I'd see it (like how gay men and straight women aren't necessarily misogynistic, but they 100% can be and have that rationale behind their sexuality potentially)

Original post by ari1224
I hope gender roles get abolished lol
But yh loads of people still ****ing with gender (like me ig lol)

Onwards to the revolution :woohoo:
:hugs: I do love gender**** as a concept.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending