The Student Room Group

Should I study Economics with no experience?

I am thinking about dropping out of my biomed degree as I have decided that a career in biomed would not be something I am interested in. I always said if I wasnt doing biomed I would be doing economics - and now I'm actually thinking of doing it. However I havent taken any economic like subjects in highschool (except n5 business which I found really easy) also my maths and english are pretty good

I suppose my question is: will it be difficult for me to study economics with no previous knowledge? (im thinking of doing BA Economics and Statistics)
Original post by Minhaal
I am thinking about dropping out of my biomed degree as I have decided that a career in biomed would not be something I am interested in. I always said if I wasnt doing biomed I would be doing economics - and now I'm actually thinking of doing it. However I havent taken any economic like subjects in highschool (except n5 business which I found really easy) also my maths and english are pretty good

I suppose my question is: will it be difficult for me to study economics with no previous knowledge? (im thinking of doing BA Economics and Statistics)

I kind of took the leap myself, but I did so only after taking a module in economics. I suppose it was a good indicator to whether I would like the degrees that I dd.

I'd recommend reading Principles of Macroeconomics by Mankiw (even if you don't intend to study economics, this is still a good book to have). If you like what you see, then chances are you will like economics. I do recommend sharpening up with AS Level Maths though, as you will come across differentiation and hypothesis testing a lot. You will have to deal with logs, math notations, and indices.
The other book I would recommend for econometrics (I don't think you will be doing this since you will have a host of stats modules to do) is Basic Econometrics by Gujarati. Personally, I prefer this econometric textbook over other econometrics textbooks I have seen throughout my studies.

If you're up for casual reading, subscribing to The Economist would be a good call to see if you like economics as a subject. Although the magazine's content is nothing like that in the degree, it gives very good overview on economics as a subject, and the potential topics you will likely see in your degree. You are not likely to be asked to use case studies, since most of the degree material will likely be based on theoretical concepts and applying data (stats, lots of stats).
The fun books like Undercover Economist, Freakanomics, and Superfreakanomics are nothing like what you will see in academia, although they are the fun read that I recommend people get into if they're trying to read about economics without the theory.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I kind of took the leap myself, but I did so only after taking a module in economics. I suppose it was a good indicator to whether I would like the degrees that I dd.

I'd recommend reading Principles of Macroeconomics by Mankiw (even if you don't intend to study economics, this is still a good book to have). If you like what you see, then chances are you will like economics. I do recommend sharpening up with AS Level Maths though, as you will come across differentiation and hypothesis testing a lot. You will have to deal with logs, math notations, and indices.
The other book I would recommend for econometrics (I don't think you will be doing this since you will have a host of stats modules to do) is Basic Econometrics by Gujarati. Personally, I prefer this econometric textbook over other econometrics textbooks I have seen throughout my studies.

If you're up for casual reading, subscribing to The Economist would be a good call to see if you like economics as a subject. Although the magazine's content is nothing like that in the degree, it gives very good overview on economics as a subject, and the potential topics you will likely see in your degree. You are not likely to be asked to use case studies, since most of the degree material will likely be based on theoretical concepts and applying data (stats, lots of stats).
The fun books like Undercover Economist, Freakanomics, and Superfreakanomics are nothing like what you will see in academia, although they are the fun read that I recommend people get into if they're trying to read about economics without the theory.

Thanks! I will definitely look at those books. I feel like I will enjoy the subject, ive tried watching lectures on youtube, especially the crash course ones which i find very enjoyable. But the main problem is that im unsure if I will be able to keep up with the course (might be too difficult in comparison to biomedical science)
Original post by Minhaal
Thanks! I will definitely look at those books. I feel like I will enjoy the subject, ive tried watching lectures on youtube, especially the crash course ones which i find very enjoyable. But the main problem is that im unsure if I will be able to keep up with the course (might be too difficult in comparison to biomedical science)

Although I have not done a biomed degree, but I heard stories of the workload, and I'd say you are more than prepared for economics.

With economics, you can spend 40 hours a week on study, and still manage to have a life by the end of it.I recommend going through the recommended reading as well as the mandatory reading. The recommended reading will have key papers to help you score the higher marks. Unless you're doing a very mathematical (core maths) degree, then I don't think you would expect a high workload.

Having said that, I know of nothing about stats degrees, other than it's a longer extension of A Level stats/maths. I don't know how much work you will have to put in them.
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
Although I have not done a biomed degree, but I heard stories of the workload, and I'd say you are more than prepared for economics.

With economics, you can spend 40 hours a week on study, and still manage to have a life by the end of it.I recommend going through the recommended reading as well as the mandatory reading. The recommended reading will have key papers to help you score the higher marks. Unless you're doing a very mathematical (core maths) degree, then I don't think you would expect a high workload.

Having said that, I know of nothing about stats degrees, other than it's a longer extension of A Level stats/maths. I don't know how much work you will have to put in them.

Thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending