How often should I increase dumbbell weight

Watch
14t
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Started off at 4kg in feb, 2weeks later moved to 6kg and today moved to 8kg (just over a month later). the workout KILLED ME lmao but is that time frame okay? Should I have progressed faster or? Nothing i can do about it now but i’m curious
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 14t)
Started off at 4kg in feb, 2weeks later moved to 6kg and today moved to 8kg (just over a month later). the workout KILLED ME lmao but is that time frame okay? Should I have progressed faster or? Nothing i can do about it now but i’m curious
Depends on the goals, your body, the exercise, the number of sets & reps...

I move up progressively, lets say I do 2 x warmup, 2 x medium, 3 x heavy and its too easy.
The next session ill do 1x warmup, 2 medium, 2 x heavy, then try 1 or 2 at the next mass and see how I feel before I start unloading the weights.

But where I do conditioning work particularly on muscle groups ive had injuries with or are important to my sport, I almost never change the mass.
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 14t)
Generally when the exercises feel like they are effortless, you either change to a higher weight or do more reps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (184)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (538)
14.69%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (406)
11.09%
Lack of purpose or motivation (505)
13.79%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (181)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (221)
6.03%
Loneliness (309)
8.44%
Financial worries (134)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (165)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (209)
5.71%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (326)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (339)
9.26%

Watched Threads