The Student Room Group

University of Reading Architecture K100

Anyone got a group interview from University of Reading for 2021 entry for Architecture?
Reply 1
Im thinking of applying next year, what are the interviews like?
Reply 2
Original post by bhawanabala
Anyone got a group interview from University of Reading for 2021 entry for Architecture?

I had my group interview the 16th of February and got a offer the 9th of March! is there anything you would like to know about the interview?
My interview is tomorrow, what sort of questions could there be? I haven't been to a group interview for architecture, do you have any advice?
Reply 4
Original post by kiraaaaHK
My interview is tomorrow, what sort of questions could there be? I haven't been to a group interview for architecture, do you have any advice?

This Reading interview was the first I've ever done, and if you know your stuff there's really nothing to worry about! The interview is set up on a video call, and the interviewer will ask you one by one things for example- why you chose architecture, which style and/or artist inspires you, what your favourite architecture style is, etc then they will get into more personal questions about each applicant's work. In my interview they did not ask us to present our whole portfolios, but to choose one piece/project that we are most proud of and one which we thought was difficult to create (as well as what we would change if we were to do it again!). We then explained the pieces and the reasons why we chose them. I believe it was fairly okay, they don't ask many specific things that you should prepare beforehand other than your portfolio so you're good to go! good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by pow3rade
I had my group interview the 16th of February and got a offer the 9th of March! is there anything you would like to know about the interview?

Yes ,what did they do and how did you find it ? Was it more of like informal or formal and how many people did it include ?
Did they ask specific questions directly ?
I’m so nervous 😬
Reply 6
Original post by kiraaaaHK

Omg so is mine !! Is yours the 10:30 am one ?
Reply 7
This Reading interview was the first I've ever done, and if you know your stuff there's really nothing to worry about! The interview is set up on a video call, and the interviewer will ask you one by one things for example- why you chose architecture, which style and/or artist inspires you, what your favourite architecture style is, etc then they will get into more personal questions about each applicant's work. In my interview they did not ask us to present our whole portfolios, but to choose one piece/project that we are most proud of and one which we thought was difficult to create (as well as what we would change if we were to do it again!). We then explained the pieces and the reasons why we chose them. I believe it was fairly okay, they don't ask many specific things that you should prepare beforehand other than your portfolio so you're good to go! good luck!

Did you hear back from them yet ? As in ,do they take long to tell you whether you got an offer or rejection ?
Reply 8
Yes ,what did they do and how did you find it ? Was it more of like informal or formal and how many people did it include ?
Did they ask specific questions directly ?
I’m so nervous 😬

You can read the other comment i wrote in the thread, but to answer the other things I didn’t mention, I didn’t find it too formal, more of a chatty discussion about how interested you are in the subject and why you would make a good candidate. My interview included me and five other applicants, so the interviewer did not really ask anything specific unless you left out any important details about your work (for example, another applicant was asked about the material they used on one of their projects presented!)
So as long as you’re calm and confident everything is gonna go well! Good luck:smile:
Reply 9
Did you hear back from them yet ? As in ,do they take long to tell you whether you got an offer or rejection ?

Three weeks after my interview i got the email about a conditional offer, which is quite fast compared to other unis that I’ve applied to:eek:
You can read the other comment i wrote in the thread, but to answer the other things I didn’t mention, I didn’t find it too formal, more of a chatty discussion about how interested you are in the subject and why you would make a good candidate. My interview included me and five other applicants, so the interviewer did not really ask anything specific unless you left out any important details about your work (for example, another applicant was asked about the material they used on one of their projects presented!)
So as long as you’re calm and confident everything is gonna go well! Good luck:smile:

Okay ,this really helps !! Thank you so muchhh😊

You’re welcome! how did it go?

It actually went pretty good ,it was only 2 of us getting interviewed so it wasn’t bad 😄
Omg so is mine !! Is yours the 10:30 am one

Mine was at 12:30! how did your interview go?
It actually went pretty good ,it was only 2 of us getting interviewed so it wasn’t bad 😄

Oh wow, mine had 5 people!
Really ?how was the 5 people interview?how did it go ?
Hi! was the offer you received on march a conditional one or unconditional one. And were there any conditions other than the grades they wanted? (I'm thinking of applying for 2023 but I already achieved the grades so I'm hoping to get an unconditional offer earlier).Lastly, do you have any tips on what to say and do you mind if I can have a look at your portfolio or the page that you talked about just so I can get an idea of what they are expecting? (my previous interview was unsuccessful although the same portfolio got me into all the others I applied to :frown:
Original post by Noor Kafoud
Hi! was the offer you received on march a conditional one or unconditional one. And were there any conditions other than the grades they wanted? (I'm thinking of applying for 2023 but I already achieved the grades so I'm hoping to get an unconditional offer earlier).Lastly, do you have any tips on what to say and do you mind if I can have a look at your portfolio or the page that you talked about just so I can get an idea of what they are expecting? (my previous interview was unsuccessful although the same portfolio got me into all the others I applied to :frown:

Hey @Noor Kafoud! We're so glad to hear you're thinking of reapplying to study with us :smile: I can totally appreciate that this is a stressful time for you, so hopefully we might be able to help reassure you!!

So the typical entry conditions for BSc Architecture are attaining ABB in A-Level (or equivalent), plus attending an interview and having your portfolio assessed. If you have already achieved your grades and have a successful interview/portfolio, I believe this results in an Unconditional Offer as you will have met all the conditions (attained the correct grades, passed interviewed/portfolio session).

My number one tip for portfolio is that it needs to reflect the breadth of different media which you worked with, showing off the depth of your skills in specific areas, and demonstrating your creative processes throughout. If you haven't already seen, the Department of Architecture have a very handy guide to the portfolio available here (has some nice illustrations across the website to give an idea of portfolio quality) and a short session recording of portfolio advice from the Architecture Department here.

I would also highly recommend coming along to our Architecture Taster Day coming up on 28 October (I think you've completed your Further Education, so put the school you attended/Year 13 on the form if you want to sign up - we don't have an age cut off point :smile: ) - this is a great opportunity to meet the department, get some hands-on experience in the studio space, and attend a lecture that discusses how best to prepare an architecture portfolio. You'll get to hear more about the interview process and how you can better your chances of being successful, and is also a great super curricular to put on your personal statement - if you're interested, you can sign up for that here! We do have Open Days on 8 and 15 October that you can sign up for if you can't attend this.

Really hope this has helped, but please do let us know if you have any other questions or concerns - we would be delighted to help you!

Lottie
GRTUK and Reading aluma (History)
Reply 18

Thanks for share it
Original post by Noor Kafoud

hi omg ive applied for 2023 too! let me know if u have :smile: id like to be friends :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending