The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Accommodation full?

On the LJMU website, it says the horizon heights accommodation fully booked starting sep 2021. But on UniteStudents its still letting me book a room starting September 2021. is it a scam or is there a mistake?/

also, any good LJMU accommodations? not even looked at any others apart for horizon heights bc I sorta planned on staying at that one. I couldn't have booked anything bc my interview isn't until tomorrow.
Reply 1
Depends on where your campus is located. My guess with LJMU is that maybe Unite gave LJMU a "certain" amount of rooms for their students and then a certain amount for the other students. I heard thats how it worked with the accommdation provided in Liverpool. I know LJMU mount pleasant campus is about 5/10 min walk to the Liverpool uni campus (they only have one campus by the looks compared to the 3 or 4 campus at LJMU).

Looking at LJMU accommodation I'd say one of their accommodation, Capital Gate looks like its going under refurb this year (20/21 year) and the entire rooms are going to be all brand new for 21/22 year but you can always look at other accommodation within LJMU
Liverpool
it would suggest that either:
- ljmu have given all rooms to unite to be managed by
- ljmu have given some rooms to unite, and all ljmu-managed rooms in horizon are booked
- or they are all booked (unlikely, but check)
Reply 3
Original post by HoldThisL
it would suggest that either:
- ljmu have given all rooms to unite to be managed by
- ljmu have given some rooms to unite, and all ljmu-managed rooms in horizon are booked
- or they are all booked (unlikely, but check)

I believe Unite 100% owns the entire building block. LJMU doesn't own any of their own accommodation at all. None of the 3 Liverpool Unis own their own accommodations at all so all student accommodation blocks is most likely shared with the 3 uni.
Original post by Evelyn34
I believe Unite 100% owns the entire building block. LJMU doesn't own any of their own accommodation at all. None of the 3 Liverpool Unis own their own accommodations at all so all student accommodation blocks is most likely shared with the 3 uni.

then ljmu doesn't have right-now access to the information on whether rooms are booked
Reply 5
Original post by HoldThisL
then ljmu doesn't have right-now access to the information on whether rooms are booked

That is correct. It is a tell tell sign when uni does not have their own accommodation and a sign if the accomodation is being run by external company. Not hard to do research. Unite has student accommodation all over the UK so thats a sign in itself that they are more than likely the ones that owns that halls of accommodation and the university does not have alot of say in terms of being 100% on top of checking the accommodation if the students have probs as they will have to go thro the company who owns the accommodation etc.
Reply 6
Original post by Evelyn34
That is correct. It is a tell tell sign when uni does not have their own accommodation and a sign if the accomodation is being run by external company. Not hard to do research. Unite has student accommodation all over the UK so thats a sign in itself that they are more than likely the ones that owns that halls of accommodation and the university does not have alot of say in terms of being 100% on top of checking the accommodation if the students have probs as they will have to go thro the company who owns the accommodation etc.

so if I were to book the room through unite it wouldn't be a problem?
Don't book with unite! They don't give a **** about their tenants - we're walking ATMs for them. I've developed health problems due to the stress of living with them, and they don't care one bit. Take a look on social media to see all of the struggles students across the UK are going through. Please think carefully before booking through this awful company! Do not let YouTube sponsorships fool you.
Uni's are given a certain amount of rooms that they can sell to their students to make sure that they are with the same year of uni and same uni as each other. The accommodation will keep a few for themselves to sell which will have students from different uni's and possibly different years together. So basically what has happened is Ljmu has run out of the rooms that they have been given by unite for horizon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending