pxrx_dx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I don't really know how to approach revision. I have to revise the poetry anthology for power and conflict (AQA) but I don't know what to do. I don't know whether I make mind maps comparing themes, flashcards with analysis, go over annotations, make fresh annotations, do some blurting...
ellaa01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
When I did revision for my anthology last summer I re-annotated new copies, but purely from my own ideas, no Google, no open book nothing. Then I added in any extra points / notes needed in a different colour. I also made flashcards of a few quotes for each poem with analysis on as well to learn but I never actually got to learning them because briefly after my efforts, I was told that section was being cut from my GCSE 😂
Wise Goldie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ellaa01)
When I did revision for my anthology last summer I re-annotated new copies, but purely from my own ideas, no Google, no open book nothing. Then I added in any extra points / notes needed in a different colour. I also made flashcards of a few quotes for each poem with analysis on as well to learn but I never actually got to learning them because briefly after my efforts, I was told that section was being cut from my GCSE 😂
that above is why i feel thick LOL you wrote some words down which i understand but put togeher i cant understand it lol
pxrx_dx
Rep:
?
Oh, that's sad. But it was slightly useful, right? Our school has given us 6 poems of which one will be the poem we have to compare the theme to. Then from the entire cluster, we have to pick a poem to compare with it. I haven't done much of my own revision (other than in-class stuff) and my exam is in one day so I'm really worried. I'm trying to revise but I really don't know what to do.
pxrx_dx
Rep:
?
Also thanks.
ellaa01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by parii_xd)
Oh, that's sad. But it was slightly useful, right? Our school has given us 6 poems of which one will be the poem we have to compare the theme to. Then from the entire cluster, we have to pick a poem to compare with it. I haven't done much of my own revision (other than in-class stuff) and my exam is in one day so I'm really worried. I'm trying to revise but I really don't know what to do.
Oh yes definitely! It helped so much with being able to pick out ideas for unseen poems and the like.

In your case, I know that on Google images / Pinterest you can find grids with all the poem titles in and all the themes and it shows which poems incorporate which themes, that could be useful to have a glance at so you could perhaps make links as to which poems link well together from that?
pxrx_dx
Rep:
?
Oh yes definitely! It helped so much with being able to pick out ideas for unseen poems and the like.

In your case, I know that on Google images / Pinterest you can find grids with all the poem titles in and all the themes and it shows which poems incorporate which themes, that could be useful to have a glance at so you could perhaps make links as to which poems link well together from that?
Oooh. Okay, I'll try it. Thank you.
Ivyreign
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I got a 9 in my GCSE, I revised every poem and knew the context but I only only knew around 4 quotes from each. My year was good though as it was ‘war photographer’ which in my book was the easiest of them all. I did both mind-maps and flash cards which really helped. Honestly though, no matter how many quotes you revise or how well you know the poem if you can’t analyse and compare well you will go nowhere. The only way you can get better at this is to do practice questions a lot. My friend wasted all her time revising the quotes of every poem word for word but did no practice comparing snd came out with a 6. Still good but just shows that memorising is not the way to go.
pxrx_dx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ivyreign)
I got a 9 in my GCSE, I revised every poem and knew the context but I only only knew around 4 quotes from each. My year was good though as it was ‘war photographer’ which in my book was the easiest of them all. I did both mind-maps and flash cards which really helped. Honestly though, no matter how many quotes you revise or how well you know the poem if you can’t analyse and compare well you will go nowhere. The only way you can get better at this is to do practice questions a lot. My friend wasted all her time revising the quotes of every poem word for word but did no practice comparing snd came out with a 6. Still good but just shows that memorising is not the way to go.
Okay. So instead of practising questions, would it be helpful if I just outlined a plan for possible questions? So just spend 10 minutes on different themes and poems planning my points, quotes and brief analysis in bullet point form? Because I don't have much time (due to my lack of time management) and since this is my only chance at poetry, I really don't want to f*** this up.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
This is a method to help

Annotated poems in blue
Unseen poems in red
The question in bright yellow
Do a comparison table or chart on a word document
Use a notebook, flashcards etc as well. Copy down some key words and so on.
Discuss the theme and analyse the full original meaning of the poem in question
Keep your notes in one place
Refer back to them always
pxrx_dx
Rep:
?
Also well done on the 9. I can only imagine how hard you worked for it. Thanks for the help.
pxrx_dx
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
This is a method to help

Annotated poems in blue
Unseen poems in red
The question in bright yellow
Do a comparison table or chart on a word document
Use a notebook, flashcards etc as well. Copy down some key words and so on.
Discuss the theme and analyse the full original meaning of the poem in question
Keep your notes in one place
Refer back to them always
I don't understand the first three lines. But we've started comparison tables in class and they've been helpful so I'm going to keep that in mind during revision.
Ivyreign
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by parii_xd)
Okay. So instead of practising questions, would it be helpful if I just outlined a plan for possible questions? So just spend 10 minutes on different themes and poems planning my points, quotes and brief analysis in bullet point form? Because I don't have much time (due to my lack of time management) and since this is my only chance at poetry, I really don't want to f*** this up.
Yes exactly. Realistically there is only 4 or 5 questions for each poem it could possibly be. Granted it could look like 20 or 30 but they are just worded differently the base is just the same. Write a A grade worthy plan for the possible likely poems and questions and there’s a 95% chance it will come up and if you have the structure and the plan memorised you’re home and dry. I want to say your year will be nice questions because of COVID but there are no guarantees so never assume that.
pxrx_dx
Rep:
?
Yes exactly. Realistically there is only 4 or 5 questions for each poem it could possibly be. Granted it could look like 20 or 30 but they are just worded differently the base is just the same. Write a A grade worthy plan for the possible likely poems and questions and there’s a 95% chance it will come up and if you have the structure and the plan memorised you’re home and dry. I want to say your year will be nice questions because of COVID but there are no guarantees so never assume that.
Okay, that's reassuring. Thank you once again. You've been really helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (6)
60%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (0)
0%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (1)
10%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (2)
20%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (0)
0%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (1)
10%

Watched Threads