What would happen if you get flashed on the motorway doing 90 mph?

Watch
Makijuice
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm about to graduate so I've started to try and freelance. I had a job yesterday all the way up in Leicester (I was travelling from London). I was running on 5 hours of sleep since I was up since 4 am. I got there and spent all day untill 5:30 on the job. It was so tiring. On the drive home, I was really tired. I was starting to feel drowsy. I knew I could make it home safely without stopping over for a nap. And plus I was less than an hour away so I thought "ehhh, just carry on". So I just sped on. The road in front of me on the M25 was clear, so I just hit it to around 90mph-ish. And then.......I saw 2 flashes behind me in the mirror. For a second I thought they were cars just flashing their headlights, but then I realised what they were.

Now I know it's very irresponsible and dangerous of me to break the speed limit. I was "speeding safely" and being aware of others on the road (I'm not trying to justify my speeding. I know it was wrong). I've learnt my lesson from this.

I'm wondering what will happen now. I know I'll likely get somethinng in the post but what will the consequences likely be? I've had my license for 6 years and it's been 100% clean. I really don't want to break that streak. What's the likelyhood it will be less severe like attending a speed awareness course or a fine? Especially considering I was roughly 20mph over the limit.

If I do get points, when those points do expire, will I have a clean license again? Will it be on my record forever?
HorribleHatty
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You won’t be offered a speed awareness course. It’ll be at least 3 points (but if you were doing 91mph or over it’ll be more). There will also be a fine.

You can’t “speed safely”. Especially not when tired and, by your own admission, getting drowsy.

ETA - points stay on your licence for a minimum of four years (for speeding it actually is just the four years) and you’ll have to let your insurance company know.
Last edited by HorribleHatty; 1 month ago
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Makijuice)
I'm about to graduate so I've started to try and freelance. I had a job yesterday all the way up in Leicester (I was travelling from London). I was running on 5 hours of sleep since I was up since 4 am. I got there and spent all day untill 5:30 on the job. It was so tiring. On the drive home, I was really tired. I was starting to feel drowsy. I knew I could make it home safely without stopping over for a nap. And plus I was less than an hour away so I thought "ehhh, just carry on". So I just sped on. The road in front of me on the M25 was clear, so I just hit it to around 90mph-ish. And then.......I saw 2 flashes behind me in the mirror. For a second I thought they were cars just flashing their headlights, but then I realised what they were.

Now I know it's very irresponsible and dangerous of me to break the speed limit. I was "speeding safely" and being aware of others on the road (I'm not trying to justify my speeding. I know it was wrong). I've learnt my lesson from this.

I'm wondering what will happen now. I know I'll likely get somethinng in the post but what will the consequences likely be? I've had my license for 6 years and it's been 100% clean. I really don't want to break that streak. What's the likelyhood it will be less severe like attending a speed awareness course or a fine? Especially considering I was roughly 20mph over the limit.

If I do get points, when those points do expire, will I have a clean license again? Will it be on my record forever?
You'll be immediately arrested and taken to a naughty boy camp for speeders. Don't drop the soap.
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
An FPN (3 points and fine) is usually offered up to 95 mph if the limit was 70. Nothing about being tired or your job is an excuse for speeding. Should it end up in court for some reason, I suspect a magistrate would see being tired as an aggravating factor, not the converse.

edit: typo
Last edited by RedGiant; 1 month ago
minichris3004
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The replies here are right, you won't get a course for 90mph.

Fine and points.

Life carries on though, learn from it and move on.
TheDE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Are you effing joking? You say “I was starting to feel drowsy” closely followed by “I was speeding safely”, which leads me to think you are a complete moron and you should have your licence stripped before you kill someone because feeling drowsy at 70mph is pretty stupid let alone at 90mph. Why do you think they have signs saying you should rest if you feel sleepy or it’s even INCLUDED IN THE THEORY TEST.

STOP BEING AN IDIOT!

STOP IT!

STOP IT NOW!

Bad boy.

Cutoff for speed awareness course is around 84mph I think so you’re looking at points.
virgil1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To mirror other people - you weren’t speeding safely, it doesn’t even sound like you should have been driving other than to the next place to stop safely. There’s no such thing as “safe” in this life but there is low risk (blue light drivers regularly drive at speeds in excess of 100mph for example but they take steps to mitigate risk).

Wrt the actual offence. I was caught by a camera van on an overpass doing a similar speed a few years ago in a company hire car.

The road was empty, dry and it was in the middle of the day in the summer and I was driving a 3 month old insignia with less than 4k miles on it (read relatively good chance of decent tyres and no mechanical defects).

I doubt this had any impact on the charge but I was offered a SP50 (exceeding the stated limit on a motorway) or an opportunity to go to court. But whatever you do, if you go to court, DO NOT SAY WHAT YOU SAID HERE. Any magistrate worth their position will throw the book at you.

Speaking to a solicitor I came to the conclusion that I’d done “wrong” so would have to take my medicine as SP50 is a non-criminal offence where as being convicted at court can be criminal and cause issues with various background checks, visas etc.

Frankly it made no difference to my insurance - at the time I was about 25, had my license 6 years with a couple of non-fault accidents driving a new Skoda Octavia vRS (not the lowest group not the highest). From memory my renewal was £10 more than it should have been without but still cheaper than the year before due to age/ncb etc.

I get the impression that speeding, especially SP50 as long as you’re not a major repeat offender is seen by insurance as what it really is - a minor transgression of a one rule fits all rule and insurance aren’t too bothered as long as you’re not indicating a more major issue.
Last edited by virgil1; 1 month ago
roo02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

ahaha why would you speed on the M25, it's littered with cameras

Everybody's already given you an answer, but all should be good!! You'll get three points if it was 90. If your speedo was reading 90, there's a chance you were actually going 85, so you may get a speed awareness course. Nothing major. Good luck!
boblishman
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

You're an idiot and you probably shouldn't be driving.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (159)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (476)
14.6%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (365)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (458)
14.05%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (152)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (197)
6.04%
Loneliness (280)
8.59%
Financial worries (114)
3.5%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (132)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (149)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (179)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (293)
8.99%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (306)
9.39%

Watched Threads