The Student Room Group

Anyone know how to get a mental health illness diagnosis reversed?

So I'm hoping to join the army but am fairly sure I've been diagnosed as having OCD. Does anyone know if it is possible to have such a diagnosis reversed/overturned?

Is it possible? If so, how?

Thanks.
Well you’d have to prove to a psychiatrist that you no longer (or never did) exhibit symptoms of that illness and are not taking any meds for it.
So if you genuinely no have ocd, not just a misdiagnosis then that’s incredibly unlikely to happen.
You can’t just overturn a genuine diagnosis
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm hoping to join the army but am fairly sure I've been diagnosed as having OCD. Does anyone know if it is possible to have such a diagnosis reversed/overturned?

Thanks.

Find out if you've been diagnosed first.
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
Find out if you've been diagnosed first.

It says on my medical records, "longstanding history of OCD". This was from my GP and I've never seen a psychiatrist. Can a GP diagnose me with a mental illness?
Reply 4
Original post by Dhjctiv
It says on my medical records, "longstanding history of OCD". This was from my GP and I've never seen a psychiatrist. Can a GP diagnose me with a mental illness?

I would be inclined to suggest that the way forward would be to ring the surgery and ask whether it is possible to make a phone appointment with the GP concerned.

You can then ask him/her to explain why they wrote this on your notes.
Original post by Anonymous

Thanks.

You can't get a diagnosis removed from your medical records.

In very rare circumstances, you might get a doctor to disagree with a previous diagnosis, but in this case it would be of little use, because if you presented with issues, all a later Doctor could do would be to offer a different diagnosis, which would still likely leave you with problems in regard to service in the Armed Forces.

You can possibly get a Doctor to agree that you no longer have a condition, but this might take a number of visits over a period of time to establish. However, it would not alter your medical history, which is will still be of concern to the Armed Forces.

It's a tough fact that many people have to face, that once they have a diagnosis, even when recovered, it pre-disposes them to re-occurences of illness or disease, or more rapid decline in function (eye sight, joint injuries etc), especially under the conditions of service in the Armed Forces. Therefore, they are permanently unfit and need to seek an alternative career.

Quick Reply

Latest