The Student Room Group

tips on skating?

i bought a skateboard when i was 16 but never got around to using it. i'm 17 now and have started learning. I feel more comfortable on my right foot than my left, but i don't know where to place it on the board; does it go at the back or the front? and if i want to cruise, do i push with my left or right? also i want to be able to improve balance on my left foot which is why i've been trying to stand with my left and push with my right. also i'm too embarrassed and socially awkward to go to a skatepark :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kacey371
i bought a skateboard when i was 16 but never got around to using it. i'm 17 now and have started learning. I feel more comfortable on my right foot than my left, but i don't know where to place it on the board; does it go at the back or the front? and if i want to cruise, do i push with my left or right? also i want to be able to improve balance on my left foot which is why i've been trying to stand with my left and push with my right. also i'm too embarrassed and socially awkward to go to a skatepark :smile:

Put whichever foot is more comfortable near the front of the board and push with the other foot then put the other foot near the back as you "coast". It's all just a case of what feels easiest for you. I would just practice pushing yourself about before going to a skatepark. You'd also need to learn to ollie.
Use the penguin thingy
Breathe
Do not stress
Make notes on technique etc as well
Have patience
Stay calm at all times
Take a cheap bottle of water and a positive mindset
Also bring a working pen, a small notebook, stuff to eat and a friend who can take photos
Do make sure to have some spare money in case
Focus on the lesson
Smile at the teacher
Speak clearly and slowly
Know your limits
Practice often and little whenever possible
Keep fit
Be healthy
Relax
Wear appropriate clothing
Develop your skills safely on the ice first
reminder for me to acc purchase a pair of skates so I can re-teach myself the jazz.

Quick Reply

Latest