The Student Room Group

Transferring from preclinical Oxford to clinical years in London

Hi! I'm a second year student at Oxford studying medicine. I've been told next year we can apply to London clinical schools and transfer there for the last 3 years, which I'd really like to do. However I can't find anyone who's done it in the older years. Has anyone here transferred, or know anyone who has? I have a few questions if so:
-Which university is best to go to?
-Is it hard to make friends with the medical students who already know each other?
-Is there much to catch up on? I've had literally no clinical contact but I know in London schools they have, will I be really behind?
-Is there any other advice you can think of or reasons why I shouldn't/should transfer?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by rotai
Hi! I'm a second year student at Oxford studying medicine. I've been told next year we can apply to London clinical schools and transfer there for the last 3 years, which I'd really like to do. However I can't find anyone who's done it in the older years. Has anyone here transferred, or know anyone who has? I have a few questions if so:
-Is it hard to make friends with the medical students who already know each other?
-Is there much to catch up on? I've had literally no clinical contact but I know in London schools they have, will I be really behind?
-Is there any other advice you can think of or reasons why I shouldn't/should transfer?

Thanks in advance!

Firstly, are you sure this is the case? I know its stopping, but I don't know when - maybe this is the last year.

I knew a few people who did it, though this was 10 years ago now! The most popular choices are UCL and Imperial. UCL used to actually say that if they weren't your first choice they'd automatically reject you! I couldn't tell you why they were more popular though.

I think it was maybe a bit of a barrier to integration and people did tend to stay friends with the people who came from Oxford as you'd expect. I haven't heard that the Oxbridge students were considered particularly cliquey though, might be wrong.

Apparently they will already know how to do things like examinations, but you catch up very quickly its not a problem. Might be a bit of difference in confidence in the clinical environment, but you can learn from them so if anything a good thing.

You should do it if you want, completely up to you.
Original post by rotai

Thanks in advance!

My understanding is if you transfer you wont be graduating with degree from ox but ucl/imperial instead?
Original post by Anonymous
My understanding is if you transfer you wont be graduating with degree from ox but ucl/imperial instead?

That is correct, though your intercalated degree would still be Oxon/Cantab of course.
Hi, I transferred from a non-oxbridge to UCL in Sept 2019 (transferred into the first clinical year i.e. 4th year)
NB - this was all pre-covid so things may have changed!
- Making friends was fine for me overall, I joined a couple of societies and joined a committee too as I found the latter a good way to make friends as a new student who is not a fresher.
- Just try and be as confident as you can during the beginning of the year, you will be fine. We had whole year group lectures in sept so was a great way to meet others - like I met a couple of good friends in the bathroom lol
- We have firms at UCL, so you get to know a group (8-12) people really well
- I didn't find there was much to catch up on - clinical exams are different from preclin exams so you are at a similar starting point to other UCL medics
- I basically did no work in preclin years but caught up just fine. Work hard (e.g. ensure you're doing your active recall and spaced repetition 3-4 mo before exams) and you will be fine
- most UCL students in your year will have done a BSc the year before and may feel out of touch with preclin & clin med anyway, so you be at the same level
- I met a few people who also took a year out between pre-clin and clin med and they coped just fine, so dw about catching up
- There were about 20 transfer students from other unis (including Oxbridge), there were events for us to get to know each other and also how UCL works, so do attend these! You can make good friendships with other transfer students
- I wanted to be at UCL so I could be closer to friends and live with family - so well worth it for me. whether it is worth it for you depends on your reasons for transferring
Best of luck!
Reply 5
Original post by Curiousmedic12
Hi, I transferred from a non-oxbridge to UCL in Sept 2019 (transferred into the first clinical year i.e. 4th year)
NB - this was all pre-covid so things may have changed!
- Making friends was fine for me overall, I joined a couple of societies and joined a committee too as I found the latter a good way to make friends as a new student who is not a fresher.
- Just try and be as confident as you can during the beginning of the year, you will be fine. We had whole year group lectures in sept so was a great way to meet others - like I met a couple of good friends in the bathroom lol
- We have firms at UCL, so you get to know a group (8-12) people really well
- I didn't find there was much to catch up on - clinical exams are different from preclin exams so you are at a similar starting point to other UCL medics
- I basically did no work in preclin years but caught up just fine. Work hard (e.g. ensure you're doing your active recall and spaced repetition 3-4 mo before exams) and you will be fine
- most UCL students in your year will have done a BSc the year before and may feel out of touch with preclin & clin med anyway, so you be at the same level
- I met a few people who also took a year out between pre-clin and clin med and they coped just fine, so dw about catching up
- There were about 20 transfer students from other unis (including Oxbridge), there were events for us to get to know each other and also how UCL works, so do attend these! You can make good friendships with other transfer students
- I wanted to be at UCL so I could be closer to friends and live with family - so well worth it for me. whether it is worth it for you depends on your reasons for transferring
Best of luck!

Mate do u mind if I ask how did u manage to transfer to ucl from any uni other than oxbridge? Did u apply for the MBPhD?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending