*wisest
Don’t think I’d say that 😂🙈 but thanks for trying to make me feel better
nodanm
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lauren566)
Will do some investigation into the norm for grad accommodation and let you know!
That'd be great thanks
pyran123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
One thing I will say is the hospital/medicine campus is a fair distance from the standard halls and the rest of the university so keep that in mind. They have a bus service, but for 9ams this service can be very busy and sometimes people don’t get a space on the bus unless they arrive a little while before arrival. I’m referring to the main halls (hillhead).
Lauren566
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by pyran123)
One thing I will say is the hospital/medicine campus is a fair distance from the standard halls and the rest of the university so keep that in mind. They have a bus service, but for 9ams this service can be very busy and sometimes people don’t get a space on the bus unless they arrive a little while before arrival. I’m referring to the main halls (hillhead).
Good to know! As you did your undergrad at Abz do you know what the common thing to do for grad medics in year 1 is?
pyran123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Good to know! As you did your undergrad at Abz do you know what the common thing to do for grad medics in year 1 is?
Sure, I would say private student accommodation is also risky as I’ve heard people who have stayed in unite/student roost etc have had some right odd balls that would put me off going there. Honestly, if I was in your position grads who are doing medicine tend to be pretty sound so I would say if people on the forums organised a meet up in Aberdeen during the summer, if COVID allows it, I think that would be the best way to sort out a flat if people were sound. For me, I have a pal who’s going to be in Aberdeen for another year, but I’ll be seeing who’s chill on the course during first year to set up accommodation with them second and beyond.
nodanm
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sure, I would say private student accommodation is also risky as I’ve heard people who have stayed in unite/student roost etc have had some right odd balls that would put me off going there. Honestly, if I was in your position grads who are doing medicine tend to be pretty sound so I would say if people on the forums organised a meet up in Aberdeen during the summer, if COVID allows it, I think that would be the best way to sort out a flat if people were sound. For me, I have a pal who’s going to be in Aberdeen for another year, but I’ll be seeing who’s chill on the course during first year to set up accommodation with them second and beyond.
That's helpful cheers! I've lived in private halls before (although not in Aberdeen) but it's pretty much a hit and miss what flatmates you get. As long as the walls are thick enough () and you have your en-suite it pretty much doesn't matter and you're still around lots of students. Going for private flats when most of us don't know anyone in Aberdeen and can't go for viewings is a bit difficult but maybe we can get a couple of people together here and ask private halls to put us in a flat together?
pyran123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nodanm)
That's helpful cheers! I've lived in private halls before (although not in Aberdeen) but it's pretty much a hit and miss what flatmates you get. As long as the walls are thick enough () and you have your en-suite it pretty much doesn't matter and you're still around lots of students. Going for private flats when most of us don't know anyone in Aberdeen and can't go for viewings is a bit difficult but maybe we can get a couple of people together here and ask private halls to put us in a flat together?
Yea, this is also a good shout
Lauren566
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lots to think about! Thank you for this😊
DrMonkey29
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What would you do for accommodation if you were an undergrad? I know most people just stay in halls near old Aberdeen but that is very far from the medical school and I wanted to know whether to just stay in halls or find other accommodation. I already live in Aberdeen btw. Any tips would be great.
pyran123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DrMonkey29)
What would you do for accommodation if you were an undergrad? I know most people just stay in halls near old Aberdeen but that is very far from the medical school and I wanted to know whether to just stay in halls or find other accommodation. I already live in Aberdeen btw. Any tips would be great.
If you’re an undergrad def go Hillhead, I had a great first year there.
zoology 1001
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey I'm a grad offer holder turned 22 this year and currently have no clue what to do about accommodation either. I want the social aspect of living with flatmates but ideally they would be grads and studying medicine too. Do you guys know if theres a way to make that happen or is it all random?
nodanm
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by zoology 1001)
Hey I'm a grad offer holder turned 22 this year and currently have no clue what to do about accommodation either. I want the social aspect of living with flatmates but ideally they would be grads and studying medicine too. Do you guys know if theres a way to make that happen or is it all random?
Hey there! So the uni is quite unresponsive atm but from what I understood the accommodation office doesn't usually automatically put grad med students together. I am considering Hillhead although the daily bus trip will be a pain. Has anyone received an email from the uni with your student number or anything already?
Lauren566
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey there! So the uni is quite unresponsive atm but from what I understood the accommodation office doesn't usually automatically put grad med students together. I am considering Hillhead although the daily bus trip will be a pain. Has anyone received an email from the uni with your student number or anything already?
I got an email with my student number but it was just at the top of the offer holder event email, not an individual one! Although I’ve still not firmed so probably not the best person to advise.

From doing some research (speaking to grad medics at Aberdeen) apparently it’s a pretty even split between staying in halls and private renting flats since most of us will already have experience with that. I think I’m swaying towards private renting with some friends at the moment (I do realise that I’m in the very fortunate position to know other grads heading to Aberdeen).
nodanm
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got an email with my student number but it was just at the top of the offer holder event email, not an individual one! Although I’ve still not firmed so probably not the best person to advise.

From doing some research (speaking to grad medics at Aberdeen) apparently it’s a pretty even split between staying in halls and private renting flats since most of us will already have experience with that. I think I’m swaying towards private renting with some friends at the moment (I do realise that I’m in the very fortunate position to know other grads heading to Aberdeen).
You're definitely lucky! Do you know if grad medics are randomly assigned to flats regardless of age?
Lauren566
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You're definitely lucky! Do you know if grad medics are randomly assigned to flats regardless of age?
I don’t sorry! Maybe it’s worth asking at the offer holder event I’m sure most of us are interested to know
EffieJMac
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lastlullabyy)
I genuinely feel the oldest 😂😭🙈
That might in fact be me! I’m a grad offer holder and I’ll be 41 in August ☺️
lastlullabyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by EffieJMac)
That might in fact be me! I’m a grad offer holder and I’ll be 41 in August ☺️
Congrats!
EffieJMac
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lastlullabyy)
Congrats!
Thanks and you too 🙌🏻
nodanm
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Has anyone with an unconditional sent off copies of your qualifications? Anyone heard back?
Pre-Med101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Has anyone with an unconditional sent off copies of your qualifications? Anyone heard back?
No, I sent mine a few days ago. Have you heard back?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (189)
5.04%
Uncertainty around my education (551)
14.69%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (420)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (516)
13.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (187)
4.98%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (223)
5.94%
Loneliness (315)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.86%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.48%
Lack of real life entertainment (213)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (335)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (352)
9.38%

Watched Threads