Dabbing your car brakes?

Watch
lBackSeatDriverl
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm not 100% sure what dabbing your brakes means? I guessed it was applying your brakes for a short period of time. From a quick google search I read a forum discussion that indirectly suggests that this may be the case, but I am still unsure. What I am asking here is if dabbing your breaks does mean to slow down briefly, then is the guy in this video breaking the law? or is the metropolitan police driving instructor breaking the law? I was under the impression that you are supposed to slow down if someone is tailgating you to create a larger gap between you and anything ahead to give you more time to brake more slowly to help the driver behind. Here is the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O_Mk1cW5HE
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lBackSeatDriverl)
I'm not 100% sure what dabbing your brakes means? I guessed it was applying your brakes for a short period of time. From a quick google search I read a forum discussion that indirectly suggests that this may be the case, but I am still unsure. What I am asking here is if dabbing your breaks does mean to slow down briefly, then is the guy in this video breaking the law? or is the metropolitan police driving instructor breaking the law? I was under the impression that you are supposed to slow down if someone is tailgating you to create a larger gap between you and anything ahead to give you more time to brake more slowly to help the driver behind. Here is the link.
Also called "brake checking". I wouldn't pay much attention to Crimebodge. Totally nonsensical channel where he's in his own little world catering mainly to the FMOTL brigade.
Last edited by IWMTom; 1 month ago
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sounds daft tbh, You should not be changing speed due to pressure from another driver and you should already have a decent gap between you and any drivers ahead. You don't control other drivers vehicles so don't try and take responsibility for their speed.

Generally if a car goes into the back of you it's their fault in the eyes of the law, but that get's a bit iffy when they say you braked suddenly for no apparent reason... also your car and neck with still prob be smashed up.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is this the officially approved Metropolitan Police method for dealing with vehicles that they think are sitting too long in the outside lane? To tailgate them in unmarked cars with no flashing lights on, in order to "force" them to move over?

Sounds about as legit as kneeling on the neck of someone as a method to restrain them, following arrest.

The video doesn't make it clear. Did the civilian driver of the car receive no further action? And did the police officer involved receive further training?

Police officers are humans. Like anyone in any job they make mistakes. And some of them are more competent at their jobs than others.
One thing that I don't like about police officers - in general - is their "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude. Which was very much in evidence in this video.

If you keep your right foot on the throttle and gently touch the brakes with your left foot you can be accelerating whilst your brake lights are on!
Same if you are going downhill with no throttle.

If you are on the flat, doing 70 mph and gently touch your brake pedal, the momentum of the car will result in the gentlest of slowdowns from your car, from the wind-drag mainly.

It's a huge exageration to say that a gentle dab of the brakes was a dangerous brake test.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The idea of slowing down when someone is tailgating is to do it very gradually, ideally letting friction slow you down rather than applying any braking force yourself. However, if we take the poster's claim that he was infact overtaking, it may simply be best to carry on as usual as on motorways and go back into lane 2, you can generally see the hazards coming up and there are a lot less hazards to worry about as well.

The problem we have here is that the video doesn't actually show the events that've occurred. We have no visualisation of what the poster did, nor do we have any proof of the tailgating claim. It is just one man's word against another.

Going by what the two are saying, neither of them are in the right. Let's get the lane hogging out the way and just say that was a case of differing judgements. The poster wanted more room, the officer thought it was enough room.

Where the poster is wrong is doing a brake check. It wasn't a full brake check, but rather a 'dab check'. A short, sharp brake that probably only knocked off 5-10 MPH at most. Dangerous driving.

Where the officer is wrong, and I don't believe the poster is stretching the truth (by much), is 'encouraging' the poster to move over. There are only five ways I see that happening.

Tailgaiting (an offence)
Flashing hi-beams (in this case it'd technically be an offence which the DoT claims could stand up in a court of law)
Flashing police lights
Siren
Horn... I don't believe there's any way one could reasonably construct using the horn in his scenario as an offence. You could REALLY stretch it and say it's road rage/aggressive driving and maybe scrape a careless driving prosecution out of it. But I think that's a very significant stretch.

So right out of the gate, the officer has said he tried to encourage him out of lane 3 and he was then brake checked. That rules out police lights and sirens in my eyes. Why? What innocent person would brake check a police car with either the lights or sirens going, or both? Especially when you consider that's when camera equipt cars will automatically save that recording and the events following. Also, the wording further confirms that. He tried to encourage him out of lane 3. He didn't say how, that definitely rules out flashing the police lights and using the siren. I also believe he would've said something along the lines of flashing his lights or giving a quick beep of the horn if he did those. Which leads me to believe that the officer was likely tailgating.

So both seemingly in the wrong.

Without video evidence though, it's all speculation. We only have what they do and don't say to lead us to any answers.
Last edited by TheMcSame; 1 month ago
roo02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
dab on them brakes yuh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (547)
14.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (418)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (514)
13.77%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (185)
4.96%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.38%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.88%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.5%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.4%

Watched Threads