How do I write a report base on a case study about a company

Watch
devil.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I’m currently in uni and I been given a task on writing a report about a company base on a case study and I was wonder if someone would give helpful suggestions a report.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello. Pick a established company to focus on. Look carefully at their official website, and make some brief notes. Aim to have at least two short yet concisely written paragraphs that form the bulk of your coursework report as well. Use your class notes as the fodder for the entire report. If you can dig out any published formal articles that would be useful. Highlight key words.
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by devil.)
Hi, I’m currently in uni and I been given a task on writing a report about a company base on a case study and I was wonder if someone would give helpful suggestions a report.
To me, a report is essentially an essay broken up with headings. To use this to your advantage, use the headings as much as possible and rely less on signposting. This will ease the burden on your word count. You can decide on the numbering system of your report, but I would use something similar to the following:
A main section (e.g. Heading 1 format) should be numbered according to numbers e.g. 1.0 Introduction
A sub heading section (e.g. Heading 2 format) should either be numbered according to sub of the main section, and they're either in regards to major points or stages of a process e.g. Literature review section could be 2.0, and sub headings could refer to topics within the literature e.g. 2.1 Accounting approach to X
A third level (e.g. Heading 3) should be used if you need to group ideas within a sub section, but this is rare and oftentimes unncessary e.g. 2.1.1 Marginal Costing Approach
You are usually asked to write a 2000 word report, so it's not like you need to use that many headings. Each paragraph can range from 100-250 words. Having too many headings can confuse the reader, and make the whole thing look cluttered.

Secondly, your structure shouldn't deviate too much from what you would expect in a journal article. The main differences are that you don't have a methodology since you're not doing an experiment, you're not producing regression results (unless the tasks requires you to look into stats). You will still need an intro, literature review, analysis, discussion, limitations (or you could include the critical thinking in the disucssion section), conclusion and signposting to future possibilities for research/investigation.

I would recommend reading up on as much of the theory as possible, since that's what you're partially being tested on. The other thing you're being tested on is the application of the theory to the case study. If you know the limitations of the theories and techniques, it would help massively.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (158)
43.05%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (54)
14.71%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (147)
40.05%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise