Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello

I thought I would make a forum for NW London to discuss hospitals.

Has anyone have any reviews about Hillingdon Hospital and St Mary's?

Also wanting to get involved in teaching/research/audits while in FY if possible - which hospitals would be best for this?

Northern girl coming to London for the first time so any help would be appreciated
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm also in a similar position moving to London for the first time so I can't be much help I'm afraid! I've heard mixed opinions on Hillingdon and not much about St Mary's. People have said they've had a really good time doing F1 at Chelsea and Westminster though. I am currently lost in this spreadsheet trying to rank jobs!
anonj1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Can second hearing very mixed things about Hillingdon ^ I've heard largely positive things about St Mary's as a hospital, but I haven't met anyone that did their FY1/FY2 there.

I'm a Londoner though, so feel free to PM me with more London-specific questions re accommodation/transport/anything else you can think of
Last edited by anonj1; 3 weeks ago
hmd95
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anonj1)
Can second hearing very mixed things about Hillingdon ^ I've heard largely positive things about St Mary's as a hospital, but I haven't met anyone that did their FY1/FY2 there.

I'm a Londoner though, so feel free to PM me with more London-specific questions re accommodation/transport/anything else you can think of
Thank you have you heard anything about Ealing or Northwick park?
anonj1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hmd95)
Thank you have you heard anything about Ealing or Northwick park?
Ealing is another one that gets mixed reviews. Northwick Park is apparently well-staffed, though they still use paper notes there - I'm pretty sure you don't do nights at NP but you do at Ealing.

Obviously I'm a fellow final year medic so please take everything I say with a huge pinch of salt, it's largely hearsay.
jonahtonga
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
will be moving to ldn after living in the midlands for all my life! excited!!
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by jonahtonga)
hey me too no way! would be great to get to know each other, we sound similar haha
jonahtonga
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hey me too no way! would be great to get to know each other, we sound similar haha
omg yeah, nice to get to know someone new- I only know one other person in the deanery but we arent close! xx
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
omg yeah, nice to get to know someone new- I only know one other person in the deanery but we arent close! xx
maybe we will get a job together, i want to do neurosurgery !
hmd95
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anonj1)
Ealing is another one that gets mixed reviews. Northwick Park is apparently well-staffed, though they still use paper notes there - I'm pretty sure you don't do nights at NP but you do at Ealing.

Obviously I'm a fellow final year medic so please take everything I say with a huge pinch of salt, it's largely hearsay.
Thanks Yes I think people have quite different opinions on the same hospital so it's hard to know!

yes I will be new to London too. Very excited!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Is anyone else wanting to do two years centrally? Or a mix of hospitals?
fishfacesimpson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Also wanting to get involved in teaching/research/audits while in FY if possible - which hospitals would be best for this?
Every single hospital in the country
hmd95
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is anyone else wanting to do two years centrally? Or a mix of hospitals?
I keep going between the two. There are some great rotations with 2 years in really good teaching hospitals but then some people say it's good to do a year in a DGH as you get more experience and they are a bit more social.
anonj1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Anyone have any intel on the pros/cons of the different central hospitals?

The phrase "blind leading the blind" springs to mind...
Anonymous #4
Report 3 weeks ago
It's been at least 6 years since I worked in NW Thames so I can only give an overview.

Hillingdon is a bog standard DGH. It's not very well connected though, need to get a bus from either West Drayton Station (national rail on Paddington line) or from Uxbridge which is on the tube.

Ealing is also a dgh, I think a bus ride away from Boston Manor or Ealing Common. You could live in west London and commute. There used to be plans to close the ED there but since Hammersmith and central mid closed that was scrapped.

West mid is a dgh in Isleworth. Probably about a 15 or 20 min walk from national rail stations into Waterloo. I did Cmt there. Typical dgh, busy, built like a typical pfi hospital. Consultants very friendly, has an active education department. Great pub on the River nearby and Richmond is round the corner which is lovely. Most doctors will commute from west or south west London

Northwick Park is a big teaching hospital in Harrow. Gets good reviews generally for medical students and medical training

Hammersmith is predominantly a tertiary hospital with several regional centres eg renal. It's based in white city not far from a couple of tubes.

Charing Cross is a busy teaching hospital with a fairly busy ED and lots of tertiary units eg Neurosurgery and oncology. It's in Hammersmith which would be a good base to live if you're in the region for 2 years. Generally not as up itself as some other imperial teaching hospitals. Lifts slow AF. Lot of pubs nearby. Horrendous traffic in the morning in the area don't consider driving in. There is some hospital accommodation available I think but it's not great (or didn't used to be)

Chelsea and West is a shiny teaching hospital on the border of South Ken/Fulham. Surrounding areas extremely wealthy so different clientele to some of the other hospitals but like everywhere in London, different socioeconomic groups are not geographically far from each other. Pubs and restaurants nearby. Lot of well dressed doctors. Nearest tube is about 15 minute walk away

St Mary's is a busy teaching hospital in Paddington with a nice main building and lots of small old nooks and crannies. Generally quite nice. Very academic. Very imperial. Tertiary centres in imperial are generally split between Mary's, Hammersmith and Charing Cross. Paddington is quite nice nowadays so lot of pubs and restaurants nearby. Very accessible by tube and train

The summary is pick where you want to go geographically and if you know which specialty you want to train in, might be useful to pick a hospital that has it. But 4 main sites in imperial are all one trust and a lot of consultants will do outreach clinics so organising taster weeks etc is fairly easy. All hospitals and most rotetions will have mixed reviews. Enjoyment of a job is often related to who you're working with and no matter how much you might love a specialty, if your colleagues are **** heads you won't enjoy it. When it comes to choices, a lot of is put luck. Influence what you can - commute times, geographically where you want to live, sort of hospital you want and rotations that suit your interests

If you have one in and one out year then think about where to live. Lots of imperial students live in Hammersmith (the area) from where you can commute to any hospital. Prices are expensive though. Putney, Wandsworth are other ideas or Kew, Chiswick if you get super lucky or are rolling in money. More affordable areas are shepherd's Bush and beyond.
anonj1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's been at least 6 years since I worked in NW Thames so I can only give an overview.

Hillingdon is a bog standard DGH. It's not very well connected though, need to get a bus from either West Drayton Station (national rail on Paddington line) or from Uxbridge which is on the tube.

Ealing is also a dgh, I think a bus ride away from Boston Manor or Ealing Common. You could live in west London and commute. There used to be plans to close the ED there but since Hammersmith and central mid closed that was scrapped.

West mid is a dgh in Isleworth. Probably about a 15 or 20 min walk from national rail stations into Waterloo. I did Cmt there. Typical dgh, busy, built like a typical pfi hospital. Consultants very friendly, has an active education department. Great pub on the River nearby and Richmond is round the corner which is lovely. Most doctors will commute from west or south west London

Northwick Park is a big teaching hospital in Harrow. Gets good reviews generally for medical students and medical training

Hammersmith is predominantly a tertiary hospital with several regional centres eg renal. It's based in white city not far from a couple of tubes.

Charing Cross is a busy teaching hospital with a fairly busy ED and lots of tertiary units eg Neurosurgery and oncology. It's in Hammersmith which would be a good base to live if you're in the region for 2 years. Generally not as up itself as some other imperial teaching hospitals. Lifts slow AF. Lot of pubs nearby. Horrendous traffic in the morning in the area don't consider driving in. There is some hospital accommodation available I think but it's not great (or didn't used to be)

Chelsea and West is a shiny teaching hospital on the border of South Ken/Fulham. Surrounding areas extremely wealthy so different clientele to some of the other hospitals but like everywhere in London, different socioeconomic groups are not geographically far from each other. Pubs and restaurants nearby. Lot of well dressed doctors. Nearest tube is about 15 minute walk away

St Mary's is a busy teaching hospital in Paddington with a nice main building and lots of small old nooks and crannies. Generally quite nice. Very academic. Very imperial. Tertiary centres in imperial are generally split between Mary's, Hammersmith and Charing Cross. Paddington is quite nice nowadays so lot of pubs and restaurants nearby. Very accessible by tube and train

The summary is pick where you want to go geographically and if you know which specialty you want to train in, might be useful to pick a hospital that has it. But 4 main sites in imperial are all one trust and a lot of consultants will do outreach clinics so organising taster weeks etc is fairly easy. All hospitals and most rotetions will have mixed reviews. Enjoyment of a job is often related to who you're working with and no matter how much you might love a specialty, if your colleagues are **** heads you won't enjoy it. When it comes to choices, a lot of is put luck. Influence what you can - commute times, geographically where you want to live, sort of hospital you want and rotations that suit your interests

If you have one in and one out year then think about where to live. Lots of imperial students live in Hammersmith (the area) from where you can commute to any hospital. Prices are expensive though. Putney, Wandsworth are other ideas or Kew, Chiswick if you get super lucky or are rolling in money. More affordable areas are shepherd's Bush and beyond.
Thank you so much, this is ridiculously helpful
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
are people planning on ranking all the jobs?
Anonymous #5
Report 5 days ago
Hi! I got Chelsea & Westminster for F1, anyone else?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (82)
43.39%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (32)
16.93%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (72)
38.1%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (3)
1.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed