The Student Room Group

Subject advice

I’m planning on taking advance higher biology, maths and chemistry. I’ve chosen to only take 3 subjects in my last year in high school and was wondering if anyone who had taken these subjects before could give me tips and advice on balancing my revision time and how hard the subjects are I’m an all b student in higher
Reply 1
Hi! I’ve not taken these subjects but I know they are quite difficult from what my friends have told me. I think if you really enjoy the subject and are passionate about it then you will probably do well. However if you don’t particularly like it I don’t think you’ll do as well. This is the case for most advanced Highers you need to like the subject a lot because it is quite a big step up from higher. What course are you hoping to do at university because 3 advanced Highers might not be useful for your course and then Highers could be easier as you’ve gotten Bs at higher. Having Bs at higher is really good but you may struggle with the work Load of 3 advanced Highers as it is a real step up and the only ones I know who are doing 3 are going into medicine. I’m not sure if this will be helpful because obviously I don’t do those subjects but I thought some background might be useful.
I have picked 2 AH for S6 in subjects (maths, physics) I am targeted an A for at Higher, and I am worried about the step up. From what I understand AH are getting much deeper into the subjects studied at Higher so you need a strong grade at higher and genuine interest in the subjects to do well, they are first year uni level, there is a lot more independent study and for science a more detailed project to complete which is a further worry as we didn't get the experience of doing one for Higher. I did consider a 3rd AH (chemistry), but after speaking to school and the university admissions decided against it as there was no advantage and taking 3 could overload you resulting in low grades for all 3 instead of good grades for 2.

What are you planning to do with the AH's? If they are for uni, have you contacted the uni admissions to see if all 3 are needed or even recommended? For most courses they are not needed and do not give you any advantage. Also 2 Highers also give you more UCAS points than the step up to AH.
Reply 3
Original post by Ototot
Hi! I’ve not taken these subjects but I know they are quite difficult from what my friends have told me. I think if you really enjoy the subject and are passionate about it then you will probably do well. However if you don’t particularly like it I don’t think you’ll do as well. This is the case for most advanced Highers you need to like the subject a lot because it is quite a big step up from higher. What course are you hoping to do at university because 3 advanced Highers might not be useful for your course and then Highers could be easier as you’ve gotten Bs at higher. Having Bs at higher is really good but you may struggle with the work Load of 3 advanced Highers as it is a real step up and the only ones I know who are doing 3 are going into medicine. I’m not sure if this will be helpful because obviously I don’t do those subjects but I thought some background might be useful.

I was planning on doing biomedical sciences at university, the requirements where a BBC at advance higher including biology, I quite enjoy biology and chemistry but the same can’t be said for maths 😂
Reply 4
Original post by BlackLab
I have picked 2 AH for S6 in subjects (maths, physics) I am targeted an A for at Higher, and I am worried about the step up. From what I understand AH are getting much deeper into the subjects studied at Higher so you need a strong grade at higher and genuine interest in the subjects to do well, they are first year uni level, there is a lot more independent study and for science a more detailed project to complete which is a further worry as we didn't get the experience of doing one for Higher. I did consider a 3rd AH (chemistry), but after speaking to school and the university admissions decided against it as there was no advantage and taking 3 could overload you resulting in low grades for all 3 instead of good grades for 2.

What are you planning to do with the AH's? If they are for uni, have you contacted the uni admissions to see if all 3 are needed or even recommended? For most courses they are not needed and do not give you any advantage. Also 2 Highers also give you more UCAS points than the step up to AH.

I was planning on doing an biomedical science degree at university the requirements say it needs 3 AH at BBC to enter the year 2 of the degree, I wouldn’t want to go into my first year of university in a pandemic so me and my family chose to wait another year and it was the best option I could see

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending